Suggestion for Next Fest

Hey Nancy!

How about this: One month in advance, AK members can fill out their info on the site and pay for the Fest via Paypal. Their nametag will be pre-printed with no waiting at the Fest. It'll have their first name and AK name in easy-to-read print, and a member color tag for easy ID. Color code:

Members will be green,
Subscribers will be red,
Staff will be blue,
Exhibitors will be black,
Walk-ins get no extra tag part.

Since we'll have a month to get these printed, there won't be a panic, and the member benefits by no waiting to register. Subscribers get to attend some free function... dunno what, and staff and exhibitors are easy to identify. Staff benefits by easier registration and shorter lines.

Of course, I'm making this up... :D

Great idea, one to add to that is some have mentioned a post count on the badges,
but maybe better yet say a yellow dot for members with 500 or fewer posts, to see
there new or possibly like some sites do with Silver, Gold and Platinum member status.

Since vinyl continues to be the big draw in the swap rooms, I wonder if it's time to expose folks to the "dark side" with a true monaural listening station. This remains an untapped reserve for both seller and listener/buyer. Mono, when set up right, can sound very, very good. This summer I'll be working on a heavy plinthed Presto Pirouette with a Garrard TPA 10 tonearm / GE VRII cart. I've also got a nice bottom ported corner cab that I'm looking to populate with mono era horns and an Altec woofer.
Anyway, if we did decide to vacate at least one of the swap rooms on a Sunday, this would be the natural spot to hold seminars.
Wood glue anybody?

- Mario

Great idea, one to add to that is some have mentioned a post count on the badges,
but maybe better yet say a yellow dot for members with 500 or fewer posts, to see
there new or possibly like some sites do with Silver, Gold and Platinum member status.

I'm not sure based on the ease at which some members have found to create HUGE number of posts in a very short period of time basing the ratings (in your example of Silver Gold Platinum) etc. would have the proper meaning. I think it could be as simple as putting the date they joined AK.

Then if your at the FEST manning a room and someone walks in and you notice they have only been a member for a couple months you might go a little further to make them welcome..(though personally I don't know how the people I meet could have been nicer)

I like the preprinted name badge idea. And to go along with my previous post I can develop a Prototype and offer it up in Jpeg form I'm not sure my old publishing software would be real applicable to everyones current stuff.

But a prototype would at least give us something to discuss and maybe once the design is laid out someone with more computer skills could create a form that could be filled in.

OR I could just step up and handle the WHOLE DAMN THING I know how to type. So lets just do this should the powers that be agree with the Name badge upgrade and the Prepay system.

I will offer to create an approved design and using my photo quality Canon Printer and Costco Photo paper I will process and print up the name badges for next years FEST. And ship them to Dave to be handed out at registration.

OK I stepped up lets see some more.

I'll work on a first Prototype tomorrow and POST it in a new thread in this forum for open discussion.

The only reason I don't like to do something with post counts on badges is to me it would alienate or intimidate non or new members.

Keep the ideas flowing folks. Thanks

Grumpy

We could use Silver, Gold, Platinum, Vinyl David.

Dave my wife had a good idea on this a simple Member Since date. I already have a prototype up on my other computer I'm going to go through this thread once more to see if I have missed any idea's I should try to work into it.

I have of course used my own name badge as an example

It's funny but I made sure my name badge from this year got home in good shape so I have the perfect thing to use for the prototype. And it turns out the card section is exactly 1/2 the size of a 4X6 piece of photo paper. I could print out eith two members on a sheet or two copies which ever the group thinks is the best.

I'll even handle all costs with the actual printing of these Dave as my minor contribution. Being I'm a few thousand miles away this is one thing I can do for next year to help out.

One thing I'd like to see next year is a list of people (I'm in!) to spell the registration folks so they can enjoy the fest from somewhere other than a registration table. It wouldn't be much of a sacrifice to spend an hour sitting there and if 20 people did that then Nancy and her posse could actually see some of the rooms, listen to some tunes, and most importantly, relax a little.

Ray

The only reason I don't like to do something with post counts on badges is to me it would alienate or intimidate non or new members.

Keep the ideas flowing folks. Thanks

Grumpy

As a FNG, I agree with your thought on that . How about somehow indicating that this is a first AKFest visit and/or which previous fests have been attended, along with the member since date?

Another thought, other fests issue pins or buttons each year. Over the years people collect these and tend to wear all of them each year, thus, the more pins, the more experience. Some room for inaccuracy in this, but at the least, it's a nice souvenir and maybe even a collectible some day.:scratch2:

It is a shame knowing that there were many members that came into my room and never introduced themselves or I did not see or recognize their tag. I should have posted a sign in the room that said.. "Please introduce yourself if you are an AK Member" and another that listed what I was using for gear.

I specifically asked everyone on another website forum to introduce themselves and low and behold, I met two new, very nice guys.

On another note, we need some signs to put on the hidden corridors pointing out that there are "More Rooms this way ->". Additionally, it would be helpful if there were a sign sticking out from the door frame that identified the room as a "AK Listening Room ->" rather than just posted on the window or door that cannot be seen from down the hall. I am POSITIVE I missed rooms because of the lack of better signage.

Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining.. I just wasn't prepared for the rooms being as scattered as they were. Had I known it, I would have brought some easels, which I will volunteer to do next year, if the staff thinks they'd be helpful..?

After seeing the pictures, I see now that I missed several rooms.
I would have sat in on the Polks for sure!
I never even saw them :( :cry:

Even a simple right angle cardboard thingie with a chunk of tape holding it to the glass would be sufficient to call attention to the rooms on the ends...

The people behind the tables did a great job. Perhaps some members on this site would be volunteered for a greeter, ensuring that people know that opening doors is what they have paid for the right to do. Introduce them to the concept of barging in and listening while they are still in line.

Even a TV with a 'puter connected to it set up so that the people in line would be looking at it while they waited, like they have at Disney, letting the people in line know what to do. While they wait, there is a little one minute or two minute blurb in a loop on the TV, showing a camera walking around the joint from room to room. This video would only take a little while to do and judging by the feedback, might be very helpful.
I would volunteer to set this up if we could get a TV from the hotel.

...How about somehow indicating that this is a first AKFest visit and/or which previous fests have been attended, along with the member since date?

I like the # of Fests attended idea much better than post count or member since date. Great idea, as it's the thing that really matters the most.

I agree that the number of Fests attended is probably much more significant than number of posts. Great idea...

So as not to be perceived as an armchair quarterback I would be happy to offer some constructive help here if seen as of any value:

I would donate the hosting and construction/maintenance of a website for the event with info, maps, photos, diagrams, layout, lists of vendors, calendar, hotel info, etc. As an added benefit to the vendors I would be happy to offer them free advertising on the site to go along with their space at the event.

I registered the domain:

AudioKarmaFest.com

I would be happy to donate its use and content to the future success of this event.

:music:

That sounds like a great idea! Would it be possible to also offer advertising, either free or paid, to local businesses that could benefit from Fest attendees, ei, pubs, restaurants, record shops, taxis, etc?

That sounds like a great idea! Would it be possible to also offer advertising, either free or paid, to local businesses that could benefit from Fest attendees, ei, pubs, restaurants, record shops, taxis, etc?

Absolutely and I would make sure that any revenue generated from the site goes back to the Fest...

I'm game for doing a refoam presentation, and I'm serious about the Youtube thing too. I really don't want to rain on anybodys' parade, but refoaming really is a lot like paint a house; most of the work is involved in preparing the surface. I spend most of the time removing the big chunks of foam, then scraping the basket and cone with a sharp chisel, then apply and remove an adhesive solvent. Once the speaker is clean and dry, it's just a matter of gluing it up.

I offered Retro a field trip to my house to show him how, but that really would have taken too much time from the Fest. I was offered a chance to use Army's room, but wussed out as I wouldn't have my trust woodworker's vises as supports and didn't want to drag out a Work-Mate, a bunch of chisels, solvents, rags, glues and brushes.

But if it turns out that we do get a Seminar room for a day, count me in for a Refoam Clinic; I'll be happy to scrape and glue :yes:

I'm game for doing a refoam presentation, and I'm serious about the Youtube thing too. I really don't want to rain on anybodys' parade, but refoaming really is a lot like paint a house; most of the work is involved in preparing the surface. I spend most of the time removing the big chunks of foam, then scraping the basket and cone with a sharp chisel, then apply and remove an adhesive solvent. Once the speaker is clean and dry, it's just a matter of gluing it up.

I offered Retro a field trip to my house to show him how, but that really would have taken too much time from the Fest. I was offered a chance to use Army's room, but wussed out as I wouldn't have my trust woodworker's vises as supports and didn't want to drag out a Work-Mate, a bunch of chisels, solvents, rags, glues and brushes.

But if it turns out that we do get a Seminar room for a day, count me in for a Refoam Clinic; I'll be happy to scrape and glue :yes:
Maybe having a few speakers of the same model, in various stages of refoam, with instruction on tips and tricks, adhesive choices, useful tools and techniques, test methods, expectations and sources...

Enjoy,
Rich P

If we do the website we can list all the workshops/seminars and then later put up some videos on the site post-fest...

However, a static display of the various stages of a refoam might work out as passersby could check them out at their leisure and ask questions.

Maybe having a few speakers of the same model, in various stages of refoam, with instruction on tips and tricks, adhesive choices, useful tools and techniques, test methods, expectations and sources...

Why wasn't that a good idea when I said it? ;)

Ray

Back
Top Bottom