Swap Meet Pony Express for 2009???

Andyman

Scroungus Stereophilus
Subscriber
Here's a blue sky, thinking out loud kind of thread.

Some folks have mentioned that there wasn't a lot of gear for swapping at the Fest this year and they were right; Mario and Stephen really brought 75% of it. And they probably took 75% of that 75% home with them as the LPs were far and away the big sellers, except for the killer deals on the marble slabs.

What I'm wondering is if for 2009 we can't come up with some sort of way for folks to post wants and offers for items BEFORE the Fest, and effectively use the Fest as a big Pony Express stop where buyers from here can get gear from there?? If we created a Swap thread where folks could post "Wanted" and "Offers", maybe we can get more stuff moving around. Say I'm looking for a Heath W-5M with the 16458 tranny, so I post a "Wanted". Somebody down in say Missouri who's coming sees my post, PM's me and we hook up. Or vice versa.

I certainly have more stuff I could have brought to sell, but loading up 6 sets of speakers 2 years ago from my demo room, really takes the wind out of one's sails about dragging this stuff around. OTOH, if I knew I had a prepaid buyer for AKFest delivery, that's a whole different story. BTW, I'm not trying to circumvent any AK Classifieds either as we could set up some ground rules about donations to AK comparable to table fees for any deals completed.

Just food for thought, but I'd really like to promote this sort of thing a bit more next year.

Andy,
I was just going to start a 'Fest delivery thank you thread, but I guess I can just do it here to illustrate your point.

As mentioned above, Mario saved me a couple of pieces of the marble.
RichPA brought me an Adcom power amp from PA. :D
ZebraBlvd (Monty) brought me a Kenwood tuner from Indiana with a special birthday surprize. :thmbsp:
MarkW brought me a sweet copy of Led Zep's Physical Graffiti from Oregon.
And I got to settle up with Mike Gibson from Oregon for a Yamaha amp that mysteriously arrived at my door.

These deals were all pre-arranged thru the classified, bartertown & chat. I may have saved a few bucks on shipping, but it's still nice to be able to meet the members and shake their hands. Sorry again about the hooking up time Monty, the place was a zoo! I also wish I could have spent a little more time with Mike, I didn't know he was leaving so quick.

Anyhow, you get the point, thanks again gentlemen.
Steve

Now that's what I'm talking about, Strawman!!

Maybe we just need to give it a little push and promo next time the Fest rolls around?? I'm sure others have stuff they'd like to either find or move too.

BTW, You know what 40 quid will buy??? :D

It worked last year for me. RichPA took home a Yamaha preamp which I then had a friend pick up at his place.

You mean something like this?

I guess it just didn't get enough publicity.

Ray

I had my van completely filled with stuff I was Pony Expressing to the Fest - glad to do it again.

You mean something like this?

I guess it just didn't get enough publicity.

Ray

Exactly!!!
Maybe we need to post it outside of Barter Town; it did only get 23 responses.
Dan's first post is right on the money! And maybe start it up a bit earlier to give it enough time to simmer and cook properly.

Exactly!!!
Maybe we need to post it outside of Barter Town; it did only get 23 responses.
Dan's first post is right on the money! And maybe start it up a bit earlier to give it enough time to simmer and cook properly.

I'm a bit torn on that issue. I thought it was kind of a subscriber "perk".
I've been wrong before though...

I'm a bit torn on that issue. I thought it was kind of a subscriber "perk".
I've been wrong before though...

Yeah, I know, but if folks kick in a few scheckels for the cause, what's the diff.
Besides, lots of guys at the Fest may not have been subscribers and may have missed out on a good swap.

But, I'm just thinking out loud here...

I'm with you on this. At least 5 people asked me about the DQ-10s I had at last year's fest lol. They must've forgotten the Boston Acoustic A-100s from the year before! :eek:

I think it should be promoted a little louder :yes: How many of us have unused stuff someone else can enjoy?

I also liked the idea of the swap room Saturday only.

Pete

Of course, the member that ran LP swap room might want to go both days, and we might want to be open to others that might want to go for two days on a third room. But I agree, at least one room dedicated to Saturday Only, then turned over for seminars on Sundays makes great sense.
As far as what to offer, it’s still got to be dealer’s choice, but it seems that LPs are the sure bet and maybe some other TT sundry items. I sold two “starter” turntables once people got to hear how nice they sounded hooked up in a system. Which brings up the point, of walk-ins and having something available for those who might not have had access to Barter Town.
It seems that promotions along the lines of “Getting Started in Vinyl Audio” could be a winner. The difficulty this year was in connecting with these “Newsters” at a Fest like ours. Some high school kid from Livonia could have gotten a serviced Dual 115D w/a decent AT cart, a vintage Pioneer receiver, and a pair of EPI 110s – all for $145 from our swap room. Didn’t happen.
Barter Fest 09 - $2 for each item listing from seller ($1 refund for unsold items after Fest) – Once marked SOLD to **** – Buyer kicks in $2. ?????

To clarify:
The Barter Fest 09 Forum wouldn't (and probably couldn't) preclude the tried and true, under-the-radar PM deals, but would be available for those who haven't developed those connections - or those connections aren't interested in what they have.
Just thinking and putting it out there.
- Mario

Well, I am hoping that I can make it to the "Fest" next year, so this would be a big plus for me...unless of course trucking stuff over the border will kill me on duty.

Back
Top Bottom