Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker

In the mean while, I have read a load of threads about mating the BMS for altec purposes....I'm sure it would make a great "not so" econowave driver as well, could you post the cross over for the BMS? I have found the comp circuit from post #89 in the "BMS Drivers" thread, but cant remember where all the various crossovers for BMS are:dunno:

Thanks in advance,

Russellc

Russellc:
Here's a link to links regarding 2 crossovers which work with the 4552ND and 4550:
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=208273&postcount=192

One proviso: I don't yet know which variation of N-800-F I am using; and I will open that and scope it. What will work with your low end, I could not tell you.

These crossovers have good compensation without any additional tweaks.

Zilch, tomorrow I'm taking the N-19Zs home to try on the econowaves, with BMS and with Selenium.

This is what we call "fun."

RusellC, I think you'll really like the top end on those Z models.:thmbsp:

Zilch, tomorrow I'm taking the N-19Zs home to try on the econowaves, with BMS and with Selenium.

This is what we call "fun."

RusellC, I think you'll really like the top end on those Z models.:thmbsp:

Right, I just wanted to see what the top end looked like, I will also await what you find out about your altec crossover. I also want to try the BMS on my A7s, so it should be usefull there as well. Thanks for the links!

Russellc

E-Waves........

Anyone else up and running? Hopefully I will get my parts today for the other high frequency network and can see if it is any improvement or what.

Am waiting to hear all you other's project results, Greyhawk17, M4RZ, Baushausler, Need for speed, Tubtub, Dgwojo and Jack giffs on the cx 3400. Looks like a root canal is going to take front seat over my cx 3400 for just a minute or two, ouch!

Compared to my A7s, these things are fantastic...not to take away from the A7s, I like them fine still as well. One area I dont know if the econowave can keep up with the A7s is "projection" in a VERY large room. At the same time, the Econowave is a much better up close listening speaker than the A7s.

May get a chance this summer when a friend of mine generally throws a "barn dance party", I sure wont be transporting the A7s that's for sure! This year is her 50th, so it should be a good opportunity to see what people think of this project!

Russellc
Howdy Russell,
Got Woofers cleaned up, 'tearing' into cabs, waiting for parts, JBL's should
be here this next week,.......Then more parts,....Only have an hour or two
in any given day, damn!....But that's reality for now,....Hope to have some
preliminary pics in a week or so.....Upward, onward....Cheers, T

Howdy Russell,
Got Woofers cleaned up, 'tearing' into cabs, waiting for parts, JBL's should
be here this next week,.......Then more parts,....Only have an hour or two
in any given day, damn!....But that's reality for now,....Hope to have some
preliminary pics in a week or so.....Upward, onward....Cheers, T

Cool, you're really close. JBL really delivers fast, I think it was a little less than a week, and parts express is about a three day wait. This is all very much worth the effort.:thmbsp: Cant wait to see your pics!

Russellc

As good as these things have been sounding, adding the 1.5/15/25 circuit is definately, IMO, a huge improvement for woofers in the sensitivity range of the 2225H, which is 97 db.

I am going to try to get the spare 2225H to the reconers for this weekend,
pick up some "Zilch plugs" from HD and report that combination when they return and are broken in.

Russellc

You have the requisite gear to do this too, and your M19Z crossovers will run most all of these combinations adequately for starters. :thmbsp:

Just need to get your dumpster bass bins running.

[Or flip over those Heresys there.... :p: ]

I'm slow. Starting up.

I just busted a D220Ti diaphragm...don't know how. I think it's somewhere on the lead from one of the connecting tabs. Last night I carried them from another location. :dunno:

Ran M19Z xover to see if my FR is anywhere near what Zilch shows at the top of this thread. Looks close.

Ordering parts for JackGiff's lower efficiency woofer (JBL 123A-1s/90 dB) Econoschematic. Plus a diaphragm.

Scary how I've gotten used to Garbage Bin cosmetics.

attachment.php

Whoah, bass. I do have it directly on the floor, maybe these are really subwoofers.

Attachments

• IMG_2103.jpg
    IMG_2103.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 1,192
Whoah, bass. I do have it directly on the floor, maybe these are really subwoofers.
Nothing like 50 Hz boom to entertain the neighbors....

[Heh, heh. :) ]

Measure nearfield to see what's actually happening down there.

You're gonna need some honest-to-goodness fiberglass damping in those Dumpster Bins to tame them.

Heavy fill with R-15, maybe:

attachment.php

Thanks!
And the fill will actually extend the bass; simulating a larger volume? So I've read.

I believe I hear standing wave cancellations in there, as some bass notes go away, softly. Sounds symptomatic? It could be room modes, I don't have the square footage to shuffle them into ideal locations right now.

Woodrows for L100 enthusiasts: Max boom at 56 Hz, and -10 dB at 22.5 Hz. ;)

Beautiful 12 dB/octave rolloff, but they can't take the power for use as subs, alas. :pity:

That's how they play 2-Pi; they'd be tolerable in freespace. :yes:

[More good RTA fun.... :thmbsp: ]

That curve is sexy, isn't it?

Well, I broke a D220Ti diaphragm somehow (not through applying power,) so ordered that with the crossover parts.

Since my dumpster Bins are so trashed, they will get the industrial rug treatment.

Fuzzy!
:screwy:

E-Waves........

Howdy,
Was really pleasantly surprised when I tore apart the RS Nova 8b's, braced
throughout, and 1" inch thick cab walls, weigh a 'ton', and should be very
stable/inert,.....Waveguides should here this afternoon, or tomorrow, then
can get busy on cutting new front baffles, and reseal cabs....Cheers, T

Well, Ive just been informed over at DIY audio dot com that there is very little chance that any waveguide is going to be as flat as we're getting here.
At first they couldnt believe the price either, but that's pretty much in black and white. I have invited them to come over and check out the RTA results, hopefully they will.:yes:

Some guy asked if there wasnt some other horn that could be used on a compression driver with a JBL 2226H. I couldn't resist bringing up econowave.

Russellc

GreyHawk,
What are the dimensions of the Nova8Bs?
I'm thinking our boxes are roughly the same. My OD is about:
27"x15"x14"
I'll check volume when I hack it open for new baffles.

RussellC,
you're on a mission.

Well, Ive just been informed over at DIY audio dot com that there is very little chance that any waveguide is going to be as flat as we're getting here.
By Earl Geddes, no less.

Maybe he'll check it out for us.... :thmbsp:

By Geddes, no less.

Maybe he'll check it out for us.... :thmbsp:

Hey, it is fairly rare to get this much performance out of so little money, I mean really. I can see how it could be dismissed, there's not that much attention here. I see 4313B on the LHF is getting interested in this little wave guide now, Zilch, did you ever hook up a 2425H to one of these fine waveguides? Hopefully more will try this thing out. I really think one just has to hear it to believe it.

If you've ever had a hankering for Klipsh, Altec or whatever horn deal, you must try this! Hopefully Earl will check it out and comment on this jewel from JBL, selenium, and fine members of our forum like you Zilch, and Jack giff as well as others. Cheaper than Heresy, and smokes A7 at a tiny price, a real goliath killer!:thmbsp:

Russellc

Back
Top Bottom