Congratulations Jaymanaa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rybeam

Way to go Jay ! Winner of member of the year at the AK Fest 2008. The greatest host deserves it. One the most generous people I have ever met.
Do you have to be from Kansas City to win ? Maybe not but it sure must help ! :banana:

Picture from "Enjoy the Music. com "

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, I still haven't exactly figured out how or why this honor was bestowed on me, but I am very proud of the fact that it was. I remember when I first stumbled upon AK while doing some research on some EV speakers. My "system" at that time consisted of a BPC receiver with a built in EQ, and a pair of really bad JBL bookshelf speakers. What made me come back to AK after my initial visit didn't have anything to do with stereos though, heck, I had pretty much lost interest in stereos after Disco and MTV dominated the music industry. Like most Americans, I thought that the engineers finally had music reproduction nailed down with the advent of the Digital receiver and CDs. What made me come back, was the way a few folks responded to my first thread, in particular I remember Ozmoid, Pakprotector, Ernie, and Tim, making me feel very welcome. I was new to the internet too, and had been warned that everyone online was either a scammer or a pervert, so I was kind of guarded when these folks seemed to welcome me into their little community. Well, it didn't take me long to figure out that there were indeed "good" folks on the net too, and I had stumbled into a whole mess of them. There's another part to this story too, that only a few folks know, but I will share it now with everyone. The reason I had purchased the computer and got online, was that I was trying to fill a big hole in my life. The big hole was left when I took out the whisky. I was what they call an "incurable drunk", down to 140 pounds, out of a job, and close to losing my wife when I quit drinking. After I got sober, I had to think of ways to stay sober, and keep my mind and hands busy. The computer was my wife's idea, and finding AK, well, I have an idea who planned that too. Anyhow, with all that free time, and everyone here so anxious to share their experience and knowledge, I put together a pretty darn nice system in no time. If I remember correctly it consisted of a Fisher tube integrated and Heresy speakers. From the moment I got it working, I was a goner. Nothing in my life has ever hit me like the two channel tube Hi-Fi bug. I think it was in the first year that Pak and Kegger talked me through building a tube amp from scratch (something I would have never dreamed possible). I guess that I got so much from AK, that I want to try to give some of that feeling to others. Nothing makes me feel better inside than knowing that in some small way, I have helped someone to experience the joy that I have found in music. I know that I will never be able to repay the debt I owe AK (most likely my very life), but it sure is fun trying. I've said it before, but the people here are the best I've ever had the privilege to know. I humbly thank you all very kindly, Jay

Well said, good sir.

As to how and why you were chosen for this honour, I can easily answer the 'how': You were nominated for this honour, by more members than anyone else.

As to the 'why': You have already answered that, in your post.

Meeting and talking with Jay was the high point of the Fest for me. After many months of posting and also talking on the phone, it was great to finally meet face to face.

Congratulations Jay, and I hope to get to Kansas one of these days part-en-ner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom