cables/interconnect to tame brightness

kichijai

Im looking to quell some of the brightness from an Acurus amp/preamp, but I want to retain the big bass that I get from my original Monster cable, one of their few strengths along with soundstage.. Is AudioQuest type 4 worth a try?

Not looking to spend a ton of dough here.

I had some AudioQuest Indigos bi-wires that did what you are asking. I wasn't to fond of them in my system. Not sure of the type 4s.

This is a tough one, as the changes brought about by cables IME are usually (not always) pretty subtle, and of course it varies from component to component and system to system. I don't know anything about the AQ model you're asking about, but I have the Copperhead, Diamondback, and Colorado. The Copperhead are reserve cables for me because they have the "death grip" RCAs in the worst way. The Diamondbacks are very good, but if anything I would say they lean more towards bright than warm. The Colorado is insanely expensive, but amazing, and I can't imagine how these would do anything but improve your sound unless you're using something better than them already, but they're much more neutral than anything else.

I'd avoid Kimber, as IME they're neutral and cold, and might take a bright system to ice cold and lifeless - but please remember this is just a guess.

So I've told you what I don't think will work, the only thing I can think of that I use that I've found to maybe have a touch of warmth, and a lot of bass, is any of the Tara Labs RSC (rectangular solid core) interconnects I've used. These are my favorites overall, and I now prefer solid core conductors in my interconnects and speaker wire.

Probably the only way you're going to be able to figure this out is if you borrow cables and test them in your system. Online The Cable Company offers a cable library you can borrow from, if you want to try that.

You could try the Zebra interconnect. That's a pretty neutral cable and not very expensive.

A lot of Kimber Kables are a bit lifeless, but I'm a fan of the Hero. Many people have said on the forums before that the Zebra is comparable to the Hero, but I found the Hero to outperform the Zebra in every department. Considering the price different though (50ish vs 200ish for the Kimber), the Zebra is a very nice cable.

I would recommend transparent cables, I use the 100 ,I needed something to take the edge off of my electrostats speakers, stopped at the high end audio store and they said try these I was skeptical but they did a nice job and added soundstage I think transparentaudio.com for more info.

You could try the Zebra interconnect. That's a pretty neutral cable and not very expensive.

A lot of Kimber Kables are a bit lifeless, but I'm a fan of the Hero. Many people have said on the forums before that the Zebra is comparable to the Hero, but I found the Hero to outperform the Zebra in every department. Considering the price different though (50ish vs 200ish for the Kimber), the Zebra is a very nice cable.

I have the Hero and generally agree with this, and it's actually the only Kimber interconnect I've heard that's a little warm, more bass than usual.

My favorite of the Kimber interconnects I've tried is the Silver Streak. It wouldn't add any warmth to your system, but there would probably be increased bass impact.

I had PBJ's and switching to Grovers was a huge improvement. All the detail stayed, but the harshness and brightness disappeared.
Pretty Magical stuff!

Link to what?

Grover does not have a website... he makes interconnects, power cords and speaker wire. And maybe other stuff...

He's a member of this board.

apature silverseries cables has been the key to restoring wbt's on them really brought my sand system back to life

Most Cardas cables will do what you want, except for Neutral Reference, which is out of your price range anyway.

Spend some time watching eBay and Audiogon, and you may turn some up at a good bargain price.

Cardas will take out any brightness and 'splash' or at least it did so on my rig. But this was Cardas speaker wire not interconnects - it was their "Golden Reference" - get it used if you can.

In regards interconnects I use all Kimber of various types. The Kimber silver cable is VERY bright and should only be used with a calmer system. But if you have any issues with veiling the Kimber Silver will quickly get rid of that (which is why I bought it).

The Kimber Heroes are, at least to my taste very neutral with extended bass. The 'cheaper' Kimber (PBJ?) is an excellent interconnect that seems very neutral across the band - its very clear, good detail and doesn't get in the way of musicality.

When you move up with Kimber you are getting wire that is effectively 'tuning wire'.

I would recommend that you stay away from Tara Labs; I have two of their interconnects and BOTH have failed solder joints - one pair failed after taking it home from the store - failed out the door. And they used some solder that doesn't want to reflow - so its a major PITA to repair. Don't buy Tara - they are poorly manufactured.

The Kimber Heroes are, at least to my taste very neutral with extended bass. The 'cheaper' Kimber (PBJ?) is an excellent interconnect that seems very neutral across the band - its very clear, good detail and doesn't get in the way of musicality.

I'd say the Hero has an extended, but VERY clear bass, would you agree? There weren't any muffled tones when I was demoing the Hero.

Don't buy Tara - they are poorly manufactured.

That's your experience, but it's the first time I've ever heard/read anything like that about them. I have a few of their interconnects and they're all better than any of the Kimbers I've tried, the only exception possibly being the Silver Streak. I've been using them for a while with absolutely no problems, and I think the build quality is top-notch. You shouldn't make a blanket statement like that just because you had a bad experience.

Dude...

Tame your brightness at the source. Or perhaps the amps. Because doing it at the level is akin to changing your under pants after a lousy wiping effort.... The problem will just come back and haunt you again.

Fix your real problems, then consider cables.

~VDR

Dude...

Tame your brightness at the source. Or perhaps the amps. Because doing it at the level is akin to changing your under pants after a lousy wiping effort.... The problem will just come back and haunt you again.

Fix your real problems, then consider cables.

~VDR

If I understand what the OP is looking for, he is not trying to correct a problem, but rather looking at fine tuning a good system he already has. More like choosing the best toilet paper to avoid the issue you mention.

Best example I have ever witnessed with my own two ears of this very thing was at yer house Eric, member when we had those Kimber( at least I think they were Kimber) cables in while listening to Jonny Cash??? Hell, I wanted to run over and turn it off, twas horrible!!! We then put in some Grover cables -same song -same system TOTALLY different sound!!!!! Would not have believed the difference could be so profound.......cables can and have in my own system make a huge difference!!

Back
Top Bottom