Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker

I can't imagine the 6 inch would play down to 1.6 KHz. Have you seen any similar sized waveguides or "horns" play that low, Zilch?:dunno:
Nope, not and sound worth a poop. They've used a fourth-order highpass plus a tank filter (where've we seen THAT before? ;) ) to make it happen.

They've also given us the DCRs! Heh, heh.

Quick question because I know someone will know this answer. Will the EWave waveguide fit in the area above the woofer in a Seville baffle or does a new baffle board have to be made?
It does not appear so in Jack's pic:

attachment.php

This post:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2126901#post2126901

He's also gettin' LE14 in there. :yes:

HEY, you're s'posed to be doin' OLA Utility, REMEMBER? :nono:

Quick question because I know someone will know this answer. Will the EWave waveguide fit in the area above the woofer in a Seville baffle or does a new baffle board have to be made?

Thx

To get an EconoWave into an Altec Seville, I plan to fill the woofer hole with a 3/4 inch thick plug of particle board, seal it with epoxy, and cut a new woofer hole lower. The waveguide will then fit above the woofer. The cabinet will probably do with some bracing inside as well. It will make an awful neat little package, though.

It isn't that easy to just build a new baffle, as you probably know, if you have a pair of Sevilles.

Pt-b99hf-1

Raw frequency response of D220Ti on the 6" square PT-B99HF-1 waveguide, Blue.

Using the standard E'Wave low-sensitivity (-12 dB) highpass filter, normalized, Green. Note the steep slope of the acoustic rolloff at 1.8 kHz.

Full-range with LE8T-H, Red.

attachment.php

Could use a bit more HF comp, but we're pretty close, "right out of the box" here:

http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/support/getfile.aspx?doctype=3&docid=1078

attachment.php

Attachments

• Pt-b99hf MLS.jpg
    Pt-b99hf MLS.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 277
  • PT-B99HF.jpg
    PT-B99HF.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 280
Cool

Hey, you're already in the 5dB give or take, like the AC16 you linked to.
They show horizontal and vertical beamwidth matching, though broad, at 1.6kHz, and for the woofer I think matches well -- about 100 degrees for a cone diameter of 6". Perhaps nice power response? Could that little thing work?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 103
Could that little thing work?
Heh, heh. Somehow, I believe YOU'll be tellin' us soon. :yes:

Look at the off-axis frequency response and DI. Stunning.

This is an Indignia-class constant-directivity monitor.

Wayne can tell us where the nodes are from those curves.

Is the acoustic crossover REALLY 1.6 kHz?

Not according to this spec sheet.... :dunno:

KEGZILA I:
dsc0156oh3.jpg

There's no dancing bloody banana to represent how these things sound.
Many thanks to EWGers and in particular Zilch, without whom KEGZILA I couldn't have been completed.

To get an EconoWave into an Altec Seville, I plan to fill the woofer hole with a 3/4 inch thick plug of particle board, seal it with epoxy, and cut a new woofer hole lower. The waveguide will then fit above the woofer. The cabinet will probably do with some bracing inside as well. It will make an awful neat little package, though.

It isn't that easy to just build a new baffle, as you probably know, if you have a pair of Sevilles.

I don't have a pair now but I will have on Monday. I sniped a pair off of You Know Where.
That 3000G tweeter in the Seville, Melodist and Bolero is really interesting. I have Bolero 'B's with the feeble little 3000G and I really like the top end, but my irrational relationship with the oddball Boleros has been well documented. I expect the 406 is a better match for that teeny horn than the 414 is, but I'd like to hear a 2-way in a full sized cabinet with the 3000G.

The ULAs are the first priority in speaker projects though. First priority after digging out from under this heap of amp repair work. The Guitar Show is coming up and all of a sudden people NEED stuff that's been sitting around dead for a year.
And after the upcoming 4 day 2000 mile road trip on family business. I'll have the EWave ULAs at Dennis' house for the Dec. SMAC meeting whether he wants them there or not.

Hey, I wonder if my LE10A's and E-waves would work in Seville cabinets...

Stick E'Wave on top of the Sevilles with the 414s doin' bass, and I THINK that'll tell you what you want/need to do.

[We're allowed to have more than one E'Wave system, y'know.... ;) ]

Stick E'Wave on top of the Sevilles with the 414s doin' bass, and I THINK that'll tell you what you want/need to do.

[We're allowed to have more than one E'Wave system, y'know.... ;) ]

I am oh so painfully aware of this fact. Got another set of the wave guides the other day to go with the 2213H drivers. Now I've hit the cabinet blockade again, and the indignia box/parts will be arriving soon. so many Ewaves, so little time.:D

Russellc

Cool B, looking forward to having them here. I will have my Jensen system in the family room and the living room will be the E-wave room. We might need a coulpe more amps though:D:D:D We should be Kegger and Andyman E-wave here for a family potrate.

Cool B, looking forward to having them here. I will have my Jensen system in the family room and the living room will be the E-wave room. We might need a coulpe more amps though:D:D:D We should be Kegger and Andyman E-wave here for a family potrate.

I'll probably have my SE 300B amp there because I intend to lend it to someone. I don't think that's enough power for a system based on an Advent woofer, though.
I can bring my PP 6L6 UL amps with the Peerless outputs. 18W should be plenty. And they're light. After weeks of lugging Ampzillas and Accuphase P-300s around I appreciate that.

Doa ew

EDIT

Working now. Time to do the other side!

Attachments

• IMG_7110.JPG
    IMG_7110.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_7111.JPG
    IMG_7111.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_7112.JPG
    IMG_7112.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 59
I'd say remove the LP section and work on the HP section. Start with just the pass cap and the Lpad, running a signal through the tweeter. Build it up one component at a time, testing as you go. This takes time but will do no harm and if you make a mistake, you'll know it righ taway.

Back
Top Bottom