Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker

Damn Jack, I wish I still lived in Wickenburg so I could come and be a
nuisance(about the only reason I wish I still lived in Wickenburg!).Much of my family still live there so I may still...

Right now I am huffing the paint fumes from my E-Wave boxes. I decided to go with the 3.4 cu ft box with 4"x 8" long port for the LE14A(tuned to about 30 HZ). Right now the plan is; Squeezebox>Valab NOS DAC>12B4A linestage>2A3 amp on high end and Behringer A500 on low end. I am expecting great things...

Of course, it may all be totally different 6 months from now, but that is the journey, isn't it?

lurking

Zilch and I started this thread with hopes of getting some people to develop what skills they had to build their own waveguide systems, and then advance into bigger and better things. It has been somewhat (maybe wildly) successful.

Crossover PC boards is only a small part, but one that can be extremely fulfilling. But many are now reaching into new areas, which is great to see. Zilch has opened up a new foray into MegaWave, with JBL's new theater waveguide.

In post #3309, kegger mentioned someone should try the P-Audio PHT-416 horn/driver combo. I thought maybe that could be a CheapoHorn (cause it ain't a waveguide) project. I ordered a pair to try them out. Turns out they are extremely neat little devices for $7.99 each. Thanks, kegger! I did the crossover design trick, and when I was convinced they had merit, I went back to Loudspeakersplus to order a few more pair, and they are all gone. Not on the website any longer. Hate when that happens.

But the important thing about EconoWave is that it is still growing. We are still learning, and stretching the boundaries of what is available and what we can build. I am proud to be a part of the EconoWave trend, as should all who have contributed. Lets keep it going into next year.

Wow you all have done an excellent job of creating an environment that is producing the results you have targeted.
As a small indication of that I am now involved in my second econowave build, reviewing other horn profiles, debating mechanical equalization versus electrical and even considering measuring.
If you all have had had even half the impact on the silent majority following this thead as you have had on me, this collaboration will produce many more great designs as well as an unstopable pool of basic knowledge. My first build is a S99 le14 econowave. It easily out performs anything I have built or bought and for way less $$. Pictures forth coming as soon as I figure out how to do that. Thanks to all contributors!

My first build is a S99 le14 econowave. It easily out performs anything I have built or bought and for way less $$. Pictures forth coming as soon as I figure out how to do that.
One of the first I built, as well. :thmbsp:

Yes, get your pics posted so we can put you on the "Official E'Waver" list.... :yes:

Amazing!

242 pages of posts..
3,623 in number..
Many successful projects and variations..
Countless mind opening and expanding interactions..
Cheap, dirty, yet enthralling sonic satisfaction...

This is the stuff a forum dreams to be.. Thread of the Year.. in any year.

Kuddos. Thanks all.

My first build is a S99 le14 econowave. It easily out performs anything I have built or bought
and for way less $$. Pictures forth coming as soon as I figure out how to do that. Thanks to all contributors!

Just won a pair of S99 on the bay here for local pickup only in Michigan, I'll have
my first pair of LE14's.. :)

Might try the 18sound or the one Jack mentioned in the cabs if it will fit where the
tweeter was and hopefully be able to leave the original port.

---------------

Jack that is a bummer those P-Audio PHT-416 are no more, neat little driver aye?
Glad you thought they were worthy, I really like the mids out of those guy's there.

Amazing!

242 pages of posts..
3,623 in number..
Many successful projects and variations..
Countless mind opening and expanding interactions..
Cheap, dirty, yet enthralling sonic satisfaction...

This is the stuff a forum dreams to be.. Thread of the Year.. in any year.

Kuddos. Thanks all.

Quit getting all sentimental, would ya?

Just won a pair of S99 on the bay here for local pickup only in Michigan, I'll have

Might try the 18sound or the one Jack mentioned in the cabs if it will fit where the
tweeter was and hopefully be able to leave the original port.

---------------

Jack that is a bummer those P-Audio PHT-416 are no more, neat little driver aye?
Glad you thought they were worthy, I really like the mids out of those guy's there.

18sound might have a bit of difficulty going low enough to match up to the 14" driver. Worth a shot, though.

BTW, you are a madman. Someday I need to listen to Andy's LE14 based EWGs and see if I will be tempted to make something out of mh LE14Hs.

(Hey Dave, or anyone else interested)
I got Cosmos WT3 here, been playing around with it.

After getting all the drivers in PCD, 2225, 2118, 2404 with all there impedance graphs
from the net plotted with using that SPLTRACE, :thmbsp: then building me a xover for them
I ran the WT3 on the whole settup, and wouldn't you know it I get the exact graph in it
as what I do with PCD on the impedance, so it does work! :yes:

PCD is a nice tool, especially for the price. ;)

BTW, if you have the woofer tester, just export the impedance plot rather than plotting it with SPL trace. :)

Darn. I'm starting to think that the L56 conversion isn't quite up to realizing the full benefits of Ewave... The box is too small to go very low, the 118H "one-off" woofers are rather high Qts (according to a few Lansing Heritage Forum posts). So I think I may go back to the idea of transforming my KLH 23's with the Dayton woofers (unless someone wants to donate some LE10H's to me :D)...

I think I should try the 12x6 Ewave with the standard xover sitting on the side of each and see which I like best. Then maybe I'll decide if I need to get the 8x8 or really Frankenstein the front baffle of the 23...

Might try the 18sound or the one Jack mentioned in the cabs if it will fit where the tweeter was and hopefully be able to leave the original port.
They are mirror-imaged if you get a matched pair.

[Didn't always happen that way, tho.... :pity: ]

Yep the ones I have comin are mirror imaged, Funny you mention that as I noticed
the same thing last night when I went researching that some were not. Probably be
that some get 2 rights or 2 lefts, LOL!

Darn. I'm starting to think that the L56 conversion isn't quite up to realizing the full benefits of Ewave... The box is too small to go very low, the 118H "one-off" woofers are rather high Qts (according to a few Lansing Heritage Forum posts).
High Q + low Fs = closed box.... :yes:

[ZilchPlugz™]

Might try the 18sound or the one Jack mentioned in the cabs if it will fit where the tweeter was and hopefully be able to leave the original port.
Tuning and box size are not optimal. This'll get you where S99 wants to be:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1874890&#post1874890

I first E'Waved 'em 10/24/05:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74311#post74311

We didn't call it "EconoWaving" back then, tho.

[An earlier encounter with pariahdom, Lansing Heritage was not real excited with what I did.... ;) ]

High Q + low Fs = closed box.... :yes:
[ZilchPlugz™]

Yes, I thought of the plugz, but with ~1.5 cu ft, can I expect to have f6 below 40hz?

I noobishly played with WinISD a little, and although I used a 127H (no 118H in the db, or even in JBL's TS sheet), the results for 1.5 cu ft weren't great. Just changing the Qts value for the 127H produced a hefty boom @70Hz.

Untitled-1.jpg

"noobishly" is of course the operative term here. There must be a lot of differences btw 127H ans 118H.

I just don't want to spend all the effort and be let down... I could be asking too much from an ill-fated JBL design.

I just don't want to spend all the effort and be let down... I could be asking too much from an ill-fated JBL design.
The answer is to try it, upside-down with E'Wave sittin' on top.

I have neither L56s or 118Hs here to measure; I suspect they may have been somewhat boomy vented, but the Plugz'll tame them, maybe.... :dunno:

I picked up my 123-1 woofers on Sunday. Since it will be a while until I can get the cabinets built, I had to try them in a pair of 3 cu ft subwoofer cabinets I already have. The driver spacing is far from ideal, and I'm still at "noob101 - learning and experimenting" level, but they sound mighty fine already. Better than the New Large Advent woofers / cabinets in some ways, but the low bass isn't quite on par with the Advents yet. Getting there, as I'm trying different amounts of fill and measuring / listening.

I can put a panel in place of the existing plate amp and use that to experiment with a vented enclosure. Can someone suggest port diameter and length or point me down a path to calculate it ?

Attachments

• JBL 123a-1 Econowaveguide.jpg
    JBL 123a-1 Econowaveguide.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 36
  • JBL 123A-1 3 cuft sealed light fill.jpg
    JBL 123A-1 3 cuft sealed light fill.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 20
  • JBL 123A-1 3 cu ft sealed more fill.jpg
    JBL 123A-1 3 cu ft sealed more fill.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 19
  • JBL 123A-1 3 cu ft sealed 2.jpg
    JBL 123A-1 3 cu ft sealed 2.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 16
Tuning and box size are not optimal. This'll get you where S99 wants to be:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1874890&#post1874890

I first E'Waved 'em 10/24/05:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74311#post74311

We didn't call it "EconoWaving" back then, tho.

[An earlier encounter with pariahdom, Lansing Heritage was not real excited with what I do.... ;) ]

Yep that would be my plan, but if I can get one of the smaller horns where the tweeter is, leave the
port and "extend" the cab it just might work.. :smoke: (Saw the LHF thread yesterday while searching) :)

Back
Top Bottom