Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker

Alright im starting on the cabs probably in the next week and have been giving this tweeter idea some thoughts, i am going with either the 2425H or 2426H( if I can find them) and this has got me to a crossover dilemma. Since Im probably gonna be tweeking the things for awhile till Im totally satisfied does anyone have a opinion on using a Behringer 3400 as a stand alone crossover for these rather than a built in one. Since the Behringer 3400 is so reasonable priced the actual cost would only be a little more and i could always use it for other testing later on down the road rather than having to physically change the built in crossover whenever i wanted to try something else. So i guess my question is, do the active crossovers sound as good as passive (built in)ones?

I can't comment on using the 3400 on the ewaves but I have been using actives for years and would rather use them vs. passive xovers. You can tweek them on the fly and then if you want, build a passive to match the final settings on your active.

Hey guy's just a little FYI, I googled "Pyle PH612" and most sellers are listing it as a discontinued item.....:thumbsdn:

Brownie, your question has been asked before. If you dial back through the thread a ways, you may be able to get a clue from previous answers.

The Ewave passive contains compensation tuning specific to the waveguide, which will be missing in a standard packaged XO. OTOH, what you gain is lots o' flexibility in tuning, consistent impedance to the amp, and all the other benefits of active XO's. There's a decent article on active vs passive HERE. Zilch states that he uses a Behringer for initial tuning.

I'd say try it and let us know how it well it works! :thmbsp: or :thumbsdn:

Well, with the Pyle unit not avaliable I'm looking in to the JBL 338800-001, Mr Z has it listed as a 1inch threaded unit, but the Selenium d220 unit at PE is listed as 1and3/8inch....am I missing something??:scratch2::scratch2:

1" is the size of the compression drivers throat. 1-3/8 is the diameter of the threaded area that screws into the waveguide.

Since Im probably gonna be tweeking the things for awhile till Im totally satisfied does anyone have a opinion on using a Behringer 3400 as a stand alone crossover for these rather than a built in one.
Jack and I have both worked with the CX3400 and E'Wave. You still need the custom passive HF comp to have the Selenium/waveguide combo play flat. Neither of us were entirely successful in coming up with a "generic" comp filter that would allow operation over a very wide range of crossover frequencies. Start with full passive. We're not talking big bucks here....

Well, with the Pyle unit not avaliable I'm looking in to the JBL 338800-001, Mr Z has it listed as a 1inch threaded unit, but the Selenium d220 unit at PE is listed as 1and3/8inch....am I missing something??:scratch2::scratch2:
Yes. The thread is 1-3/8, but the throat is 1".

Not an issue.

Edit: E'Wavers know their poop, obviously.... ;)

Jack and I have both worked with the CX3400 and E'Wave. You still need the custom passive HF comp to have the Selenium/waveguide combo play flat. Neither of us were entirely successful in coming up with a "generic" comp filter that would allow operation over a very wide range of crossover frequencies. Start with full passive. We're not talking big bucks here....
Zilch, I understand what youre saying as the Selenium/waveguide combo sound great. But would going passive still be the suggested route when using JBL 2425/6H:scratch2: I wish i knew more about this stuff!!!!

Zilch, I understand what youre saying as the Selenium/waveguide combo sound great. But would going passive still be the suggested route when using JBL 2425/6H:scratch2: I wish i knew more about this stuff!!!!
Russell asked me about those JBL drivers earlier, I measured them, and posted the results in this thread. In that instance, I would use the CX3400, yes. I may have shown the results with that crossover's built-in HF comp engaged. It's way too "hot" for use with the Seleniums, but may work better with the JBLs.... :thmbsp:

This would be my submission. I was in dire need of a decent speaker, and this is, by far, is the
best I've had.
I ran the <95XO w/220di on top of several canidates, and although very nice sounding...
a pair of LE14A came my way @ a good price, a cheap box, a little labor. I must say great sounding!
I'll build something else also, at a later date, and a much bigger pocket-o-cash, it definately won't be econo, but you've helped me see a good path to follow.
A little something I noticed. On my first build, my xo was all parts recomended from pg.1
source list. 5%'ers and wa'not. When LE14A became a go, I upgraded,using Mills and Dayton 1%, for res. and cap respectively. And a Jensen foil coil HF,cross somethin' or other, I/core 2.0 for the LF. Not all that much, more, money. To my ears, What an up grade difference. Much cleaner, and more resolution.
I am sure these will be topped, it's just by what? You know, when some of you guys do find a good combo, not econos are fine. just not go broke territory. I'd sure like to here about them.

What about those oversized, Large Wguides? Thanks, M

jbl008.jpg

I've never used the Altec you mentioned Z. But with the heils or the Pyle WGs, I can't run fast enough to turn that comp off. Cheers.

Great job G. How is the bass out of the LE14. I was at a friends house last week and didn't hear much bass, or strong bass under 60hz. Cheers.

I dropped one of the boxes that I have my waveguides mounted in and now the D220ti that was in that box doesn't work. I checked it with a meter and it reads nothing across the leads, I had no idea that they were so sensitive.

Thank your for your submission and suggestions, Golana; you are "Official E'Waver" #38! :banana:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2260584#post2260584

I'll try some of the crossover component upgrades you have recommended. Jack and I both used the Mills resistors in our early prototypes, but I have never tried out the foil inductors.

Those look like mighty solid cabinets with good internal volume you have there; what are their dimensions, please?

Again, congratulations on your successful E'Wave build! :thmbsp:

I've never used the Altec you mentioned Z. But with the heils or the Pyle WGs, I can't run fast enough to turn that comp off. Cheers.

Great job G. How is the bass out of the LE14. I was at a friends house last week and didn't hear much bass, or strong bass under 60hz. Cheers.

Thanks, out of the few systems I've heard, pretty good. These are 4.25 w/ a ton of bracing, tuned between 30 and 32hZ. Although, not taking anything from the Fisher SA300, which I think is rolled a tad, it is somewhat subdued, add a bit of power, and some sand, ala Marantz 2325, and I garuntee'[my imitation, of the cajun cookin' guy] she works fine. Deep, round, and poundin' ground! Thanks

I dropped one of the boxes that I have my waveguides mounted in and now the D220ti that was in that box doesn't work. I checked it with a meter and it reads nothing across the leads, I had no idea that they were so sensitive.
I don't perceive the Seleniums as being particularly fragile, so I'll be interested in knowing what has failed.

The replacement diaphragms are quite inexpensive, but order more than one. Prior experience with those here indicates that the voice coils are sometimes out of round, so it's not always a simple plug 'n' play swap. :dunno:

Thank your for your submission and suggestions, Golana; you are "Official E'Waver" #38! :banana:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2260584#post2260584

I'll try some of the crossover component upgrades you have recommended. Jack and I both used the Mills resistors in our early prototypes, but I have never tried out the foil inductors.

Those look like mighty solid cabinets with good internal volume you have there; what are their dimensions, please?

Again, congratulations on your successful E'Wave build! :thmbsp:

18.5Wx19.5Dx25.5H, .75Maple ply. I found them on CL, for cheaper than the wood to build. I widened the old port, and added, the WG, just didn,t like it in there. Pulled 'em and went with 2, three inch by 8" ports, 31hZ? sounds good to me. You guys have done some good work, here for some of us who can't figure out what the heck you and Wayne are talking about. Thanks again, These are KEEPERS. :] Mike

Back
Top Bottom