Live from Livonia: Our intrepid reporter Wajobu

With thanks to Murray (AK member skippy_ps)...this is a photo of one of the two McIntosh 50W monoblock amps (vintage 1949) that was on display in the McIntosh Room. At first, on Saturday, I thought that they were "on display" only, but by the afternoon they were powering the systems in the McIntosh suite. These were restored by a technician at AudioClassics (I have forgotten the person's name), but for 60 year old amps they sounded just wonderful. A real tribute to the circuit design and transformers.

attachment.php

Fotno, how the heck did I miss meeting you??? Dammit.....

Sorry to say, once again circumstances prevented me from attending. I wouldn't have missed a chance to shake your hand had I been there. Walker has been kind enough the last two fests to let me help post his photos so I get to be there (as Clay said) in spirit anyway.

I hate I missed this one, but hopefully that won't always be the case.

fotno, once again, thank you for taking the time to post the photos that I sent from my uber-secret-misty-imaged-shoe-phone.

Other Non-Fest-Related Sites/Sights

A mile north of the Fest site is the historic Joshua Simmons Farm (first settled in 1824). The original log cabin is long gone, but the 120 or so acres are now a public park and on the National Register for Historic Places. Despite the weather forecasted for the weekend, the mornings (and my walks) were delightful. The photos include two overall views, the General Store and one of the two chapels on the site. The last image is a rather interesting building ornament on one of the office buildings in the office park across the street from the fest hotel...it was honking to another in the parking lot that I was following around :D

My shoe-phone does better with proper light!

Last edited:
A mile north of the Fest site is the historic Joshua Simmons Farm (first settled in 1824). The original log cabin is long gone, but the 120 or so acres are now a public park and on the National Register for Historic Places. Despite the weather forecasted for the weekend, the mornings (and my walks) were delightful. The photos include two overall views, the General Store and one of the two chapels on the site. The last image is a rather interesting building ornament on one of the office buildings in the office park across the street from the fest hotel...it was honking to another in the parking lot that I was following around :D

My shoe-phone does better with proper light!

How did you find that place? I worked within a mile of the hotel for years, and I hike most of the local parks regularly. I have never heard of that farm!

Any testimony I could offer would not stand up in court. Fortunately I had several folks help me push my walker around this weekend...

I'm pretty sure I had a great time. My recollection is sketchy, so that impression may change as the reports continue to come it. Certain watering holes did seem to roll up the sidewalks and pull in the shingles a bit too early, if you ask me (and even if you don't).

Enjoy,
Rich P

Any testimony I could offer would not stand up in court. Fortunately I had several folks help me push my walker around this weekend...

I'm pretty sure I had a great time. My recollection is sketchy, so that impression may change as the reports continue to come it. Certain watering holes did seem to roll up the sidewalks and pull in the shingles a bit too early, if you ask me (and even if you don't).

Enjoy,
Rich P

Nice to hear you enjoyed yaself Rich.

How did you find that place? I worked within a mile of the hotel for years, and I hike most of the local parks regularly. I have never heard of that farm!

In walking north up the road (left out of parking lot)...I noticed a street sign labeled (on the right off of Victor Parkway)...Joshua Simmons Drive (just before 8 Mile Rd)...white fence, farm house, green field...curiosity got the best of me and I started walking...whenever I visit a new place, I start walking...

There's even a nature trail within the park.

Map Link (Fest Hotel is in the lower left of the image)
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Livon...421936&spn=0.011513,0.019226&t=h&z=16&iwloc=A

Close-up of Farm
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Livon...418149&spn=0.005756,0.009613&t=h&z=17&iwloc=A

I'm in for sure, Mark.

Steve, remember the old adage...with friends like these, you don't really have a choice.

Back
Top Bottom