SACD recommendations

stoutblock

"If it sounds good, it is good." Duke Ellington
Subscriber
I'm really enjoying these SACDs on my new to me Music Hall Maverick. I know some discs are hard to find but am looking for some recommendations on exceptional discs.

Right now I have several Diana Krall discs which are quite lovely. Coltrane The Love Supreme has never sounded better. The sound stage on some of these discs are unbelievable!

As good as the my FLAC files sound up sampled through the Music Hall DAC, these SACDs go the next step beyond.

Anyone have highly recommended SACDs to share?

Last edited:
These are out of print (OOP), but are pretty easy to find:

Stones - "Let it Bleed" and "Beggars Banquet" - digipak case rather than plastic case is the giveaway that these are the 2002 CD/SACD hybrids. These are the definitive digital editions.

Another OOP is the Zombies Greatest - mastered by Steve Hoffman.

In print, Miles Davis KOB is good, Moody Blues' "In Search of the Lost Chord," and Allman Brothers Band "Eat a Peach."

Ken

"I'll Play The Blues For You" by Albert King...great album and you do not have to be a blues fan to enjoy ....great mix of blues,r&B, and rock with of course Albert's guitar and the Barkays ...can pick it up on ebay for around $10 bucks if you look around

Lets sticky this thread. I will add

Ray brown's Red Hot

The Yamamoto trio Misty

Thanks for the input and I will look for these.

I have:

Miles Davis Big Fun (busy as ever but I can actually hear most of the details now)

Dave Brubeck solo piano (puts a piano in my living room)

Getz/Gilberto (one of my favorite albums of all time and I am totally blown away by the SACD version!)

Gary Burton Like Minds (Great!)

Steve Ray Vaughan Texas Flood (you have never heard Lenny until you have heard this SACD version!)

Last edited:
Cyndi Lauper - She's So Unusual

Michael Jackson - Thriller

Steely Dan - Gaucho

Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms

The Peter Malick Group featuring Norah Jones - New York City

Any of the BMG/RCA Living Stereo SACDs

Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out

Any of the Sarah Brightman SACDs

The Best of John Denver - Live

Roy Orbison & Friends - Black and White Night

Thanks guys! Great list!

checked most of the local music stores with no luck with the recommendations listed. I did pick up Edgar Winter TOCOAN and was not impressed. Love this Album but it sounded about the same as the RB version. Sure its the same great album but the SACD version is nothing special

Was really hoping to find a few of these on the list. I am a huge Rolling Stone fan so I was hoping to find Let it Bleed. Also Brothers in Arms is one of my favorite albums but no luck.

May have to buy on line?

Last edited:
You should pretty much forget about buying SACD at a brick-and-mortar store. You may find the stray SACD by luck, but if it was me, I'd concentrate on buying online.

The SACD of Dire Straits' "Brothers In Arms" was not released in the US since the band was signed to a Warner Music label and Warner supported SACD's rival, DVD-A. Therefore, you should look for the SACD online. There're US e-tailers that sells the SACD, but they're generally more expensive.

For the Rolling Stones SACDs, look for those packaged in digipak. Those are the SACD version. The Rolling Stones SACDs are not marked as such on the outside and the digipak packaging is really the only indication to inform you of a disc being SACD. If you're buying online, I would make sure with the seller that you are after the SACD version.

Consider any SACD titles, once released, to be going out-of-print. There're very few instances where SACD titles get reissued. Some SACD titles now command big $$$ because of this reason. Try finding the SACD of Spandau Ballet's "True" for a reasonable amount....

Last edited:
One of my favorites is Patricia Barber "Modern Cool" Still Available from acoustic Sounds website. Also Her Companion Cd and her Cafe Blue Cd are outstanding. Acoustic Sounds has a good selection of SACD still available and a great selection of vinyl.

I see the Thriller SACD now is over $100! I almost bought one a week ago for $15...

Looks like Amazon has a good selection. Any other online sources of worth?

Berlioz: Requiem; Norrington, Stuttgart Radio Symphony Orchestra. Hanssler Classic
Cleveland Symphonic Winds; Frederick Fennell. Telarc
Mahler: Symphony No. 5; Philharmonia Orchestra, Zander. Telarc
Mahler: Symphony No. 2; Vienna Philharmonic, Kaplan. Deutsche Grammophon
Mahler: Symphony No. 8; Berlin Symphony Orchestra, Nagano. Harmonia Mundi
Mahler: Symphony No. 2; Budapest Festival Orchestra, Fischer. Channel Classics
Mahler: Symphonies; San Francisco Symphony Orchestra, M. Tilson-Thomas. SFSO
Ditto the RCA Living Stereo SACDs.

I guess this list pretty much pigeon-holes me.

www.half.com is a also a good place to pick up sacds sometimes at very reasonable prices...its the non-bid online "re-sale" partner to ebay if you have an ebay account you do not need to register for it...of course making sure the seller is actually sending you an sacd and not a redbook version is paramount before purchasing

Found these at Frys today:

David Sanborn - Timeline (Not a big fan of David but this does sound great!)

The Stan Getz Quartet - Pure Getz (Excellent re-mix!) - Tempus Fugit is simply like I have never heard it before.

Ordered LIB and BIA on amazon today :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom