Marantz 7 Modified Class A Valve Tube Pre-Amplifier (Music Angle/Angel)?

theplantguy

Has anyone here (if they will admit it) tried one of these? From what I see on the net, those who haven't heard them put them down and those who have heard them seem to think they're pretty good, especially for what they cost.

Has anyone here (if they will admit it) tried one of these? From what I see on the net, those who haven't heard them put them down and those who have heard them seem to think they're pretty good, especially for what they cost.

Actually bought the early version, 2-12AX7s/1-12AU7, of it for $40, $50 for the shipping out of Hong Kong, lol!

It's a great little preamp for the price. Fairly hi-gain.

It came with so-so tubes so I threw some good tubes in it and voila! It would probably benefit from some higher quality couplings caps but I haven't got around to that yet.

The second version which has 4 driver tubes and more coupling caps I haven't heard but 'less is more' sometimes applies to preamps.

I have schematics around for both versions. Am still unpacking after a move though so it may be a while before I come across the discs.

Only thing that bugs me about this pre is the LED pilot light, it's too damn bright! That could easily be rectified in a few ways though.

Cheers

Lar

Do the same thing people use to do to their VCRs who couldn't set the time and it just kept blinking "12:00". Put tape over it.... :)
What amp are you using with it?

Do the same thing people use to do to their VCRs who couldn't set the time and it just kept blinking "12:00". Put tape over it.... :)
What amp are you using with it?

I've used it with several amps: my VAS Citation Sounds, Pilot 232, Quad IIs, Eico HF-30s, Knight KB-85. It matches best with amps that need hi-gain or have adjustable input levels. It compares well with my Maple Tree Audio pre, for a lot less money ;^), which uses 6SN7s/12SN7s, as long as the output level control feature of the Maple Tree Audio pre is taken into consideration.

Cheers

Lar

I got a used one a few weeks ago for very little cash. Did a lot of tube rolling and got it to sound fair. It is OK if your expectations are not too high. I find it on the glare/grainy side. It sounded better with less detailed amps such as my 6V6 silvertone, and not so great with my rebuilt Heathkit W6A monoblocks. After a few days of listening, I was more than anxious to put my Marsh hybrid preamp back in the system. I think I'm going to use the chassis and build a grounded grid preamp out of it. Yes, the pilot light sucks! It ended up with a piece of electrical tape over it almost immediately.

I got a used one a few weeks ago for very little cash. Did a lot of tube rolling and got it to sound fair. It is OK if your expectations are not too high. I find it on the glare/grainy side. It sounded better with less detailed amps such as my 6V6 silvertone, and not so great with my rebuilt Heathkit W6A monoblocks. After a few days of listening, I was more than anxious to put my Marsh hybrid preamp back in the system. I think I'm going to use the chassis and build a grounded grid preamp out of it. Yes, the pilot light sucks! It ended up with a piece of electrical tape over it almost immediately.

Were you running 12AX7s or 12AT7s in it? Which version? The 3 or 4 driver tube one?

Lar

The three driver version, with one 12au7 and two 12ax7. Vintage blackplates sounded the best in it, with Mullards a close second.

The three driver version, with one 12au7 and two 12ax7. Vintage blackplates sounded the best in it, with Mullards a close second.

I'm running a long black plate 12AU7 and two Raytheon triple mica black plate 12AT7s. I think they tone the pre down a bit, I found 12AX7s to be a bit too hot the gain being what it is.

Cheers

Lar

Almost bought one until I noticed some units had "angel" misspelled on the faceplate!

If that's not an indicator of piss poor quality control I don't know what it.

Almost bought one until I noticed some units had "angel" misspelled on the faceplate!

If that's not an indicator of piss poor quality control I don't know what it.

I think that this spelling error is probably the primary reason this preamp can be had for such a great price. :yes:

If you'd bought one you'd actually get to see/hear for yourself that they are quite well built. They have a power tranny that is a good size for a pre and they are well laid out and fairly easy to work on. All the soldering in mine is done well and the printed circuit board is well manufactured.

I think the mispelling on the pre is a matter of one hand not knowing what the other was doing. They had likely farmed out the case manufacture to a separate factory and they were given the name to be put on it over the phone: "What to you want on the case?" answers: "Music Angel", "Music Angle?", answers: "Yes Music Angel". For Mandarin or Cantonese speakers some of our English words are hard to pronounce:D. I'm sure if it was a Chinese character that was intended for the case that it would have been done correctly. :D

Actually I find the mis-spelling kind of unique and it does add a bit of humor to the unit, which can make it a good conversation piece. Thankfully it doesn't effect the sound.

Cheers

Lar

Last edited:
I could be wrong....but it seems to me that how something sounds and how well it's built is what matters....like I say..I could be wrong. Any other criteria, whether it's a misspelling or that it's made in China, now I could be wrong again, has no bearring on how it sounds. And after all, how a piece of equipment sounds is what we base 90% of our opinion on.

Well..............I bought one of these. If you look on the bay, they usually go for $250 + including shipping. I bid on one at $120 including shipping figuring it would never go for that price...well...it did. So I have one on a Chinese junk headed for the USA. I couldn't buy the parts for that. It looks pretty simple with point to point wiring, so modding it should be fairly easy. I'll let you know in a couple of month (or more) how it sounds.

Well..............I bought one of these. If you look on the bay, they usually go for $250 + including shipping. I bid on one at $120 including shipping figuring it would never go for that price...well...it did. So I have one on a Chinese junk headed for the USA. I couldn't buy the parts for that. It looks pretty simple with point to point wiring, so modding it should be fairly easy. I'll let you know in a couple of month (or more) how it sounds.

Mine came by slow boat and took quite awhile. The seller had tied a fancy braided ribbon handle on the box which I think must have been too much of a temptation to a handler who decided to test it out. All four bolts holding the tranny in were sheared but thankfully the wiring held it in place and there was no damage.

Let us know when it arrives and what you think of it. Be prepared to be blinded by the pilot lite ;^).

Like you say you could hardly get the parts for that price. As well even in spite of the misspell the unit is fairly attractive and looks good beside other tube gear.

Like I mentioned before try some 12AT7s or perhaps even some 5751s in place of the 12AX7s.

I want to get some better coupling caps in mine soon and am contemplating some 400V K40Ys.

Cheers

Lar

Have you looked to see if it's possible to swap out the pilot light for a dimmer one? I'm looking at a pic of the new one and I don't see a pilot light. Well....anyway...I've got a couple of months to find a tube amp .... 10-15 watts would be fine...as my speakers are fairly efficient 91db. Maybe someone has one laying around that isn't quite up to powering their "wall of sound". :)

I've used it with several amps: my VAS Citation Sounds, Pilot 232, Quad IIs, Eico HF-30s, Knight KB-85. It matches best with amps that need hi-gain or have adjustable input levels. It compares well with my Maple Tree Audio pre, for a lot less money ;^), which uses 6SN7s/12SN7s, as long as the output level control feature of the Maple Tree Audio pre is taken into consideration.

Cheers

Lar

I'm really tempted to grab this preamp too. It's £119 ($196) w/shipping on ebayUK at the moment - if no one else bids.

Lar, I've got a pair of Quad IIs, too. How do you think it would work with those and an MC cartridge? I actually think it's pretty cool the 'Angel/Angle' thing... most folks I know who know their tube stuff can't spell worth beans anyway.

I'm really tempted to grab this preamp too. It's £119 ($196) w/shipping on ebayUK at the moment - if no one else bids.

Lar, I've got a pair of Quad IIs, too. How do you think it would work with those and an MC cartridge? I actually think it's pretty cool the 'Angel/Angle' thing... most folks I know who know their tube stuff can't spell worth beans anyway.

It actually is a line only pre so you would need a phono transformer or pre to up the signal. Langevin and Hasimoto both make beautiful step up transformers for MC cartridges. They are pricey though. I picked up Juicy Music Tercel phono pre and it works great with both the Maple Tree Audio and the Music Angle. :yes:

Cheers

Lar

Marantz should sue them for trademark infringement. I've sen these and others on the auction site but would never drop a dime when the company rips off names and commits fraud. Just a personal choice.

Back
Top Bottom