Tips and tricks to make the most of your AK experience

RayW

Parrothead with a badge
Subscriber
Hello! This thread is to point out some simple things that will help you get the answers you're looking for with the least pain.

- First thing, and this is in the Forum Rules, no buying or selling except in Bartertown, the forum designated for it. You have to be a subscriber to access Bartertown. Anything posted for sale (or covertly fishing for a sale) elsewhere will be moved, edited, and/or deleted.

- Post your thread in the appropriate forum. There are a whole slew of forums here at AK and sometimes it can be confusing. Most times things are pretty easy to figure out. Have a turntable question? Post it in the turntable forum. If you don't get answers to your questions, make sure you're asking the right people.

- Be nice. This goes with the All Audio, No Attitude motto of AK. Pretty easy to figure out.

- Put your location in your profile. In this day and age the anonimity of the internet can be comforting, but you're probably not going to have problems by posting your city or area. This will help immensely when you're asking for help. Check out some "help" threads and you'll find that generally the first question asked back to the original poster (OP) is "Where are you?". If you're asking about what gear to check out, there may be a member or members nearby that have what you're considering. A single live audition will be much more useful than all the opinions on the net.

- When asking a question, give all pertinent details. A question like "I have some brown speakers with big woofers, what receiver should I get?" won't get you a lot of responses. At least not useful ones. Give details like your room size and type, the kind of music you like, listening level, and what you do or don't like about what you've got. There will be very different answers to questions regarding a smallish bedroom where the user likes to listen to Bach at low levels and a large basement room with cinderblock walls where the user likes to blast Van Halen at ear bleeding levels.

- Try the search. Sometimes it's a disagreeable beast, but the search can be your friend. AK has been around for a while and has 60,000+ members. There's a good chance the information you're looking for is already here. Sometimes asking the same question for the 97th time will get you some smart aleck responses. It's not your fault for asking your question, but a quick search might have turned up your information, with interest.

[edit] - Something that has been said many times by management and mods but bears repeating here, AK is not strictly a vintage audio site. It is an audio site. All ages, classes, and types of audio gear are welcome.

- Only quote the relevant portion of a post. It's a waste of bandwidth and fairly annoying when someone quotes an entire post with 5 full size pictures and 2 pages of text so they can say "I agree". Don't be that guy. If you agree, then say you agree but you don't need to quote the whole thing so we can see it again.

If you've got a tip that will help newcomers, post it here.

Enjoy AK!

Just a thought but,

Don't claim that your ???-100's are the best ??????? ever made. :thmbsp:

A good point, Visiman. Hyperbole doesn't fly well. Saying, "my SX-780 is the best receiver the world has ever seen!" will probably get you slapped around. Saying "my SX-780 is the best sounding receiver I've heard" will probably get you some suggestions for other receivers to check out and one of them might become your new best sounding receiver you've ever heard.

A similar point to the one above...good sound is in the ear of the beholder. We all have different preferences, habits, and points of reference. Take that into consideration BEFORE you post. Your opinion holds exactly as much weight as anyone else's, no more, no less. Just make sure you state your opinion as your opinion and not as fact. There's a big difference between "your speakers suck" and "I don't like the sound of those speakers".

Don't ask for something for free from members when you first join. You probably won't receive a very warm welcome if your first post is "Hi, I'm new and I just need a service manual for my wonderful new-to-me Xxxxxx that I scored from the old widow down the street. Can someone send me a free copy? (because I would have to pay for those manuals that are on Ebay)."

Check in, say hello, introduce yourself - and contribute some content to AK before asking for something for free. Chances are that you will find what you are looking for before you ask - and you will make some friends along the way. :yes: Becoming a Subscriber can help to shorten the process. ;)

ehoove's

Do your best to not rain on an others parade. If they are ecstatic about their new piece of gear that you don't really care for, Don't put it down or say you dislike it.
Regards,
Jim

Yea! I don't like your gear because I don't have it! :D therefor it can't sound as good as mine!

"- Try the search. Sometimes it's a disagreeable beast, but the search can be your friend. AK has been around for a while and has 60,000+ members. There's a good chance the information you're looking for is already here. Sometimes asking the same question for the 97th time will get you some smart aleck responses. It's not your fault for asking your question, but a quick search might have turned up your information, with interest."

Really.

In the toolbar, at the top of any AK page, just right of centre, between "New Posts", and "Quick Links", you will find the "Search" link. Two choices, AK search, and Google search of AK. The results are not always the same, depending on the search parameters chosen. Experiment with it and learn what works for you.

OK so I want to search for a term the search engine doesn't like, how do I trick the search engine? For example, If I search "SX-636" or "636" it gives me an error. Longer terms like "SX-1050" or "1050" seem OK. But that doesn't help when I need to search for my SX-636! Help!?!

OK so I want to search for a term the search engine doesn't like, how do I trick the search engine? For example, If I search "SX-636" or "636" it gives me an error. Longer terms like "SX-1050" or "1050" seem OK. But that doesn't help when I need to search for my SX-636! Help!?!

Try it in the Google option of the search facility and you get about 2400 pages mentioning it.

The search engine doesn't like 3 digit (or shorter) search terms, and with SX-636 neither the SX or the 636 is long enough to get results. The hyphen doesn't seem to count as a digit in the search, nor does it make the entire phrase qualify as six digit search. On the other hand I got 47 results when I searched for sx636.

Or as bhundu just noted, you can use the Google search instead.

I tried it in the Google option with the hyphen included and no spaces. Looks like there is lots of info stored away here on that model.

Back
Top Bottom