Photos from AKFest 2010

Alright guys, we have had enough dwelling upon this, insulting is just not in the spirit of AK. For the last time, I will ask you folks to move on from this topic. Thank you

Grumpy

WOW all these great pictures and not one of what I thought were Bogdan Audio Creations?

Large black speakers made up of about 50 sections of MDF, all cut with a jigsaw then glued up, internal chambers filled with sand, curvy shape.....guy had a photo book of the build process.... Bueller~Bueller~Bueller

You mean these? I asked if he used a CNC to make the layers, but no... all by hand with a jigsaw. There's some elbow grease in these. Not sure I care for the red velvet inside the port. I did think they sounded better the second day with the Arte Forma amp hooked up... though I scared him a bit with the Jack Johnson track I played which has a bit of background hum/buzz from the guitar amp. He jumped up and started checking the tubes on his amp.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audiosnoop/sets/72157623972231686/

4573398550_3ac6125fce_b.jpg

4569377661_634105a088_b.jpg

4569377395_0477ae6baf_b.jpg

Crazy. By the time that his time was accounted for, I can't imagine he saved any money by using a jigsaw. Very nice work, in any case.

How the hell did I miss these?!

You mean these? I asked if he used a CNC to make the layers, but no... all by hand with a jigsaw. There's some elbow grease in these. Not sure I care for the red velvet inside the port. I did think they sounded better the second day with the Arte Forma amp hooked up... though I scared him a bit with the Jack Johnson track I played which has a bit of background hum/buzz from the guitar amp. He jumped up and started checking the tubes on his amp.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audiosnoop/sets/72157623972231686/

4573398550_3ac6125fce_b.jpg

4569377661_634105a088_b.jpg

4569377395_0477ae6baf_b.jpg

they were right next to our room. the builder was a cool guy. we chatted a few times. he seemed to know plenty about vintage gear, as might be expected from his Sansui integrated. glad he got to try out the tube amp, as he was worried about not having good enough electronics.

I thought the Bogdans were extremely impressive. Building those with a CNC would have been quite a task, but with a jigsaw... In any case, I thought they sounded great. The bass quality was fantastic. Probably due in no small part to the non-resonant nature of the cabinet, and the fact that they were filled with 60 pounds of sand. It made me realize how much cabinet sound is in my diy speakers, even with lots of bracing. This is one of the very few rooms where I stopped listening to gear, and just started listening to music. Amazing job this guy did.

Markus

Yep those, very interesting design & build, and the sound was excellent. I see what you meant about the port color now.

The RAAL tweeters are about as good as it gets.

I noticed several of these at the fest with the foam rolls at the top and bottom of the ribbon. Can someone more enlightened tell me what the foam was for.

I thought the Bogdans were extremely impressive. Building those with a CNC would have been quite a task, but with a jigsaw... In any case, I thought they sounded great. The bass quality was fantastic. Probably due in no small part to the non-resonant nature of the cabinet, and the fact that they were filled with 60 pounds of sand. It made me realize how much cabinet sound is in my diy speakers, even with lots of bracing. This is one of the very few rooms where I stopped listening to gear, and just started listening to music. Amazing job this guy did.

Markus

Gotta agree on the bass, powerful but not overpowering. I really liked these speakers, thought I would find something more on the net about the build but nothing so far. Anyone pick up any info?
Is this gentleman a member?

Last edited:
You mean these? I asked if he used a CNC to make the layers, but no... all by hand with a jigsaw. There's some elbow grease in these.

Are those production speakers or one off prototypes???

If this guy is building these one by one, whoa Nelly!!!!

Here are most of my pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/budgophille

A big thanks again to all who were involved in making the fest happen. It is truly the highlight of my year. I am so happy to be a part of such an awesome community.
Andyman, its always great to do business with you. Squidward, thanks for the great conversation, it really softened the blow of being overcharged for speakers.:lmao: Bally, it was great meeting you. Bill, thanks for living up to your name and providing some good cables. Similost, thanks for the good scotch. Grumpy, Ernie always a pleasure. And to everyone else, and anyone I forgot. Thanks for making this a great fest!

Yep those, very interesting design & build, and the sound was excellent. I see what you meant about the port color now.

I noticed several of these at the fest with the foam rolls at the top and bottom of the ribbon. Can someone more enlightened tell me what the foam was for.

Gotta agree on the bass, powerful but not overpowering. I really liked these speakers, thought I would find something more on the net about the build but nothing so far. Anyone pick up any info?
Is this gentleman a mamber?

http://bogdanaudiocreations.com/

I actually just registered on the forum.
I would like to thank everybody who took the time to listen to my speakers- PETRA
or the "big black ones" about 300 lb. That was in my room-Bogdan Audio Creations-and yes, I hand build them one pair at the time.
My site is up and I will put more info on there soon. Here's the link: http://bogdanaudiocreations.com/
The site is a work in progress, please be patitent.

Welcome aboard, ionbogie, beautifully built speakers. But I stand by my earlier statement that you are a madman if you don't get those cut on a CNC :)

Back
Top Bottom