Pioneer HPM-200 speakers...

tomdi1999

anyone with any experience with these speakers? im puttings together a retro system and these fit the bill as far as looks but i know no nothing about their sound. i have an sx-1250 to hook them up to-is that enuf power? any opinions are much appreciated. thanx

I heard Tubed's pair of HPM-200's and they sound unlike any of the other HPM's. Much smoother and more balanced that any of the other JBL-inspired HPM's. Hopefully Tubed will chime in.

These are one of my all time favorites; very rare and desirable. In case you didn't know, these were designed by Bart Locanthi of JBL 375 fame and the designer of the early Pioneer/TAD drivers and systems. The HPM units on these are omnidirectional and the highs are very smooth and extended. While full range, they are more of an "east coast" speaker and well suited for reproduction of jazz, vocals and classical music. Their sealed woofers will dig deep, but are relatively inefficient. If you want to rock, consider the JBL or Pioneer 100's.

If you decide you don't want them, please let me have a shot at them!

By all means if you can pick up a pair in working condition you can always upgrade your amplification.
I've made hyperbolic statements like " my favorite JBL", best tweeter". " better than the Great Heil" etc. They sound as if they'd measure quite flat, seem very balanced and are quite musical, dynamic as all get out.
I don't detect much coloration, negligable mid bass boom, extremely enjoyable with well recorded music.

Last edited:
thanx for the replies-keep em coming. fyi-i listen to primarily classic rock-some metal and at decent levels...

I helped a friend buy a set and then shipped them to him in Mo. I tested them with my Sansui G8700DB, 160wpc. Ozzie-"No More tears" was killer. These will play bass you would only expect from a sub. The cylinder mids and tweeters were nice and open. I was impressed and hope to find some myself when I have the cash to afford them.

I would go 200wpc or more to really get the most out of them.

picture.php

By all means if you can pick up a pair in working condition you can always upgrade your amplification.
I've made hyperbolic statements like " my favorite JBL", best tweeter". " better than the Great Heil" etc. They sound as if they'd measure quite flat, seem very balanced and are quite musical, dynamic as all get out.
I don't detect much coloration, negligable mid bass boom, extremely enjoyable with well recorded music.

It would be interesting how they would hold up to the ESS AMT3's with the Great Heil. The HPM 100's and 150's I've heard aren't in the same league. Those 200's look very interesting I must say, much different than your run of the mill HPM.
My rebilut recapped AMT3's I find are really uncolored, yet musical speaker, I was really amazed how good they sounded once I got them finished-probably why I just picked up another set!!

Last edited:
how can i tell if the woofers are original? should i pull 1 or 2 out? is this practical? does anyone know the model no. of the woofers? thanx again

Easily the best HPM model and competitive with the best consumer speakers of their time. Very nice.

The HPM-200 falls in my list of 5 favorite speakers of all time. A very good loudspeaker when compared to just about anything.

how can i tell if the woofers are original? should i pull 1 or 2 out? is this practical? does anyone know the model no. of the woofers? thanx again

First of all welcome to Audiokarma and secondly pictures are widely appreciated for enjoyment and ID'ing.
One way of telling if the woofers are original or correct replacements is to measure with a multimeter. The top left driver should measure 8 ohms(or so) and the right "lower" woofer should measure 16 ohms. You can test(with the drivers in cabinet) by removing the crossover connections to the drivers.

here are some pics...

Attachments

• P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 230
  • P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 204
  • P1010003.jpg
    P1010003.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 459
here are the hpm 200s in their new home...

Attachments

• P1010049.jpg
    P1010049.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 230
  • P1010050.jpg
    P1010050.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 191
  • P1010051.jpg
    P1010051.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 178
  • P1010052.jpg
    P1010052.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 202
  • P1010059.jpg
    P1010059.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 221
  • P1010060.jpg
    P1010060.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Comparing those photos with the ones in my HPM-200 file, I'd say you either have original drivers or diabolically clever copies. Congratulations. The HPM-200 is, as everyone has so far said, one of the best speakers to come out of the 1970s. As I recall, they're very inefficient. But they sound glorious.

Pioneer submitted a paper which was published by the Journal of the Audio Engineering Society (JAES) in 1975. Drawings in the article reference the tweeter array in the HPM-200.

Here's the patent, filed in 1973.

Last edited:
Darn, I should know these speakers since many of my friends in college owned Pioneer HPM speakers. Sadly I do not recall this particular model, but my college years are fuzzy at best.

some of you guys were right-these require more power. i hooked them up to my anthem mca5(190w front channels) and i think i could use a bit more. any suggestions? im leaning towards an adcom gfa555...

Back
Top Bottom