Marantz 7 Modified Class A Valve Tube Pre-Amplifier (Music Angle/Angel)?

It sounds pretty darn good. I want to play with some different tubes, but I'm going to wait on doing that until I have an amp that will make it worthwhile. Right now, I'm just using the amp section of an old Rotel receiver.........I'm doing this on the cheap because I'm an old dude on SS....have to watch every penny. As a side note: I've learned alot here on AK.........That's why I became a subscriber.....was worth every penny of the $25 as I probably saved a lot more that that with the good advice I've gotten here.

Maybe another MA amp will be a good inexpensive addition.

I don't understand how that preamp can be so inexpensive.If you were to buy the parts separately,it would cost you two or three times as much.

I don't understand how that preamp can be so inexpensive.If you were to buy the parts separately,it would cost you two or three times as much.

I think what happened is after the Music Angel/Music Angle name mix up on the front wood panel and the back of the unit that they sold those ones off to resellers for a song.

I actually paid more for the shipping on mine than I did for the pre itself.

Cheers

Lar

A friend of mine on here has one and likes it very much. He's an experienced audiophile from way back. I trust his advice so much I'm buying one for myself. :thmbsp:

Who cares if it's Music Angle or Music Angel if it sounds good? I see the same people posting negatively about anything made in China. The fact is with good quality control it doesn't matter where something is made. Even some American made parts and products are of poor quality.

A lot of the negative response is the result of falsely alluding to high quality, reputable and highly sought after units. It makes them seem to be not much above the White Van speaker level. If the units are decent they company should market it as such and not feed off other companies' reputations that bear no resemblance to what his being sold. It just cheapens the product in the eyes of others who have a little knowledge. I don't know if the units are good, bad or in between but, I question any company that makes such statements and would be hard pressed to considere them legit or, to send them any money to buyt product.

A lot of the negative response is the result of falsely alluding to high quality, reputable and highly sought after units. It makes them seem to be not much above the White Van speaker level. If the units are decent they company should market it as such and not feed off other companies' reputations that bear no resemblance to what his being sold. It just cheapens the product in the eyes of others who have a little knowledge. I don't know if the units are good, bad or in between but, I question any company that makes such statements and would be hard pressed to considere them legit or, to send them any money to buyt product.

As a business owner I know what you are saying, but you are wrong. Of course you're entitled to your opinion.

Some highly experienced people many of whom own Audio shops and repair audio gear have stated these are very well made units. That's what I'll go by.

There is absolutely nothing at all wrong with the way these are being marketed. If there was problem Ebay would be pulling the auctions under the VERO program. Try selling a Ford part without saying it's for a Ford. Or a Fender guitar part without being able to state it is for a Fender guitar. LMAO It doesn't make sense. :scratch2:

Smart marketing if you ask me based on a famous design that the patent ran out on long ago.

And again, what does any of this have to do with how they sound?

Last edited:
As I said, I don't know personally about the units but the marketing leaves a bad taste and negative perception that they are not good enough to stand on their own so they feed off of false allusions that they are something they are not.

As for eBay, I am not sure it is relevant. The statements do not say they are Marantz units and hence not subject to fraud. If Marantz was as aggressive as McIntosh and Apple when it comes to the 'Bay, then it would be possible eBay would pull the ads but the company is not pursuing the matter.

If you read my statement I do not pass judgment on their quality or sound but the marketing and responses to it by persons who know these marques. I have found a number of Chinese products to be very decent and of 1st rate construction. Sadly, the industry there tends to try to pass off their products as something they are not. I'd hate to tell you of all the Parker 51s, I've seen that are of Chinese origin. Most are not worth throwing in the trash as the quality is so bad while some are so good that they probably sell for more if they were not being falsely marketed.

If you've listened to it and seen the quality and each meets your needs and standards there is no reason not to go for it if you find the cast benefit onside with the decision. In the past I purchased a pair of Chinese Eton S3509DL radios though the greater weight of opinion was that the units were cheap and not up to anything like Grundig quality and I've been very happy with one as my daily office unit and the other sitting by my bed. Collectively, they get far more use than my stereo systems.

It's very relevant on Ebay because if it were illegal they would be removed.

They are passing it off as a reference to Marantz model 7 circuitry(Music Angel Ref Marantz 7 Modified Class A Valve Tube Pre-Amplifier). I think most people don't have a problem realizing this. :yes:

"Has anyone here (if they will admit it) tried one of these? From what I see on the net, those who haven't heard them put them down and those who have heard them seem to think they're pretty good, especially for what they cost."

That was the subject of this thread. NOT some nonexistent legal issue, NOT that they must be poorly built, though not actually ever having seen one. NOT some thinly veiled Chinese bashing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought we were here in AK basically to share our experiences with equipment, to help each other with audio problems, and to make recommendations when asked.

ThePlantGuy

I've heard them. They're tolerable. To me the whole point of having a Marantz 7 is all the switching and tone control functions. Plus the phono section is-nonexistent. As far as I am concerned if you don't need a phono section you should work on getting rid of the preamp entirely.

They are all built on PC boards that are also available separately, blank or stuffed, and the build quality is not really objectionable. But it's like having a Leica camera with fixed focus, one aperture, one shutter speed.

I've had mine for two weeks now. It sounds gorgeous! Highly recommended if you want to try tubes without spending a whole paycheck or three. I got mine for $238 including standard air shipping. It is my first foray into tubes, and is replacing a Hafler DH-110 that I've been running for quite awhile, into a Hafler DH-220 amp and Maggie MMGs. I was surprised at how big and heavy it was when it arrived - somehow the pictures never conveyed it's true size. To me the sound bests the Hafler in several respects. The bass is less punchy but more tuneful, and I really like the ambiance and the space between the voices and instruments, which are easier to pick out and follow individually. Right now the Hafler is serving phono duty, and although I was very happy with it, I don't want to go back yet even just for a reality check! Mine sounds beautiful, as is with no tinkering. You'd have to be pretty darn snooty indeed to dis this preamp - it sounds wonderful, and is a true bargain.

It's hard to find a tube preamp these days for that kind of money. Obviously there are lot's of satisfied customers. Free market wins!

I've had mine for two weeks now. It sounds gorgeous! Highly recommended if you want to try tubes without spending a whole paycheck or three. I got mine for $238 including standard air shipping. It is my first foray into tubes, and is replacing a Hafler DH-110 that I've been running for quite awhile, into a Hafler DH-220 amp and Maggie MMGs. I was surprised at how big and heavy it was when it arrived - somehow the pictures never conveyed it's true size. To me the sound bests the Hafler in several respects. The bass is less punchy but more tuneful, and I really like the ambiance and the space between the voices and instruments, which are easier to pick out and follow individually. Right now the Hafler is serving phono duty, and although I was very happy with it, I don't want to go back yet even just for a reality check! Mine sounds beautiful, as is with no tinkering. You'd have to be pretty darn snooty indeed to dis this preamp - it sounds wonderful, and is a true bargain.

Agreed. I sold mine to go with a preamp that has phono and headphones but I do plan on buying another one of these before long. It's a steal for this price range.

I'm running a long black plate 12AU7 and two Raytheon triple mica black plate 12AT7s. I think they tone the pre down a bit, I found 12AX7s to be a bit too hot the gain being what it is.

Cheers

Lar

Er...before going into tube rolling research I would strongly recommend to swap the mean potentiometer
and replace it by (at least) a blue Alps type.
Second action: Replace the MKT-type capacitors by decent MKPs of the same value.
These are the mods to enable judging furthermore modification.

Jan

It actually is a line only pre so you would need a phono transformer or pre to up the signal. Langevin and Hasimoto both make beautiful step up transformers for MC cartridges. They are pricey though. I picked up Juicy Music Tercel phono pre and it works great with both the Maple Tree Audio and the Music Angle. :yes:

Cheers

Lar
Yikes! Your wacko active pics are giving me an epileptic fit and I don't even have epilepsy. How about a picture of this pre-amp, guys? Sounds interesting but too good to be true.

Resurecting this Zombie Thread to say That I Bought DrMux's Music Angle and it is still running! Hooked it up and it is currently hooked up to a Yammie PC2002M driving a pair of JBL240Ti's. I am loving it! Bested a PS Audio 4.5 Pre!

Back
Top Bottom