KLH model 22

blue lateral,

Not surprising that you like your 22's. FWIW, I've re-capped my 6's and it has made a world of difference. I've been A-B-ing them against a pair of stock 17's and there is really no comparison in the high end (same tweeter in both). Your 22's prolly use a different tweeter (I don't know), so YMMV. Any chance you could post a nudie pics of your 22's. I'd be curious how they compare visually to my 32's (also an 8" 2-way). - Mark

Advent 23's

MarkAnderson said:
kfa888,

The
Advents are capable of some serious bass response. Once you get them re-foamed, you'll know what I mean. I expect they'll at least match (if not surpass) the KLH's in this regard. Hey, if you ever decide to part with those 23's......... :naughty: - Mark

Yah, the big Advents will edge out the 6 in that bottom 1/2 octave but they got nuttin' on a 23. But a 23 or a 6's got a slightly nicer high end. Aesthetically ? The're both nice lookin' gurls. :naughty: : Dave

I was just bein' my usual modest self---OK, you win, MUCH nicer high end, but your ass has nothing to do with it(Now y'all are gonna start a serious debate between KLHchers & Adventists !!) Dave

OK! I must save this thread...It is a very interesting discussion at hand...Not a debate...Just a lot of fun!

I think I am qualified to participate. I have a stacked pair of Original Large Advents, a pair of KLH 23's, a very rare pair of KLH 30's (like the 6's but in thinner true bookshelf size cabinet), a rare pair of KLH 7's (Like the 6's but with a 50% larger cabinet) and a little pair of KLH 26's (very similar to the 22's?). I will add into the discussion a pair of AR-2ax's and a pair of the Jensen made Advent Legacies of which I have 2 pair.

This is just my opinion and it is from memory because some of these speakers are not in use at this time. I may be cheating a little bit because I have not done an A/B comparison between any of them in the same room on the same system.

Here goes....For shere bass response a single Large Advent would probably measure lower than any, but the AR-2ax has amazing bass also! The KLH 23 will shake the earth also! It's tweeter may be a little stronger than the LA as I remember. The AR-2ax is very balanced in the high end. Remember it's a 3 way and has that generations first "super tweeter" a .75 inch dome that crossed over at 14Khz! But all the other 2 ways that we are discussing seemed to have slightly subdued highs by todays standards. Probably designed that way to eliminate the impact of tape hiss. The KLH 7 is a great speaker with it 's larger cabinet you'd think would enhance the bass to amazing levels but it didn't impress me that way. I think it needs it's woofers resealed and maybe some crossover tweaking and they are sealed like Fort Knox! So I haven't done any of that yet! The newer generation Advent Legacy is really a great speaker too IMHO! It is voiced like the old LA's (great bass) and adds a sweet dome tweeter that sings real nice! The little 26's amaze me as much as any of the others because they are so strong for their size! They don't look like they could sound that good!

This must be said though...If you stack the Advents nothing else we have discussed quite gets where they do! I am not sure what it is but as good as the bass is on a single LA it doesn't come near the impact as the doubles! Then the high end on the stack is nearly perfect! On the single LA I was always wanting more but not the doubles. So with the LA stacking factor thrown in that might put a kink in the one on one debate.

Right now, if I had to live with only one pair of the speakers I've mentioned (leaving out the stacked LA's) I would probably vote for the AR-2ax's, then the KLH 23's then the LA's. But, if space were a factor I would happily live with the great KLH 30's which sound very close to the others and you can get them off the floor! Likewise for the 26's (the space to performance factor). And if I listened to modern jazz and instrumentaly strong music I would love the Advent Legacies as the main choice because of that nice tweeter! By the way I also have the little KLH 14's and I believe it's the 19's too (single fullrange drivers) and of course theres the Advent Pinnacle Towers! Now you see why I have around 36 pairs of speakers!! Somebody needs to lock me up somewhere! :sigh:

The thing is...you can hear the Kloss - Allison etc. influence through all of these speakers. I am definitely a New England sound nut! I think any of these are great speakers! If you narrow the discussion to whats the best 2 way accoustic suspension speaker that is 24 inches or taller that might be a good one! The LA is 25 1/2 " tall as is the KLH 23. How about the KLH 5 against the AR-2ax or the AR-3A or the AR-5a. Just more food for thought :naughty: ! Best! Franksta

kfa888 said:
Do any of you know what exactly I should use to reseal the surrounds on my 23’s?

I think nI have heard (seen) people say to use thinned RTV, However, I have no clue what they thin it with, how thin, and if the thinning agent works for all RTV's (since there are ammonia? :scratch2: based RTV's and non ammonia? :scratch2: based RTV's, Whatever it is, the less expensive/common RTV's use a very smelly material in there and it's more volitol I belive)

kfa888 said:
Do any of you know what exactly I should use to reseal the surrounds on my 23’s?

You thread hijacker!! :D

I'm willing to bet you'll get a different answer from every person who responds to this. Elmer's rubber cement, GE black silicone, Aileens Tacky Glue, etc., etc. - Mark

Those KLH 22s look so close to my 24s it's scary..

I just snagged a pair of what I thought were 22's but turns out one is a 22 and one is a 24. Seems the only difference is the input: the 22 has two terminals and the 24 has an RCA jack. Otherwise, they seem identical, except for a different color on the front panel. Drivers seem the same. Here are photos:

Hmmmmm, no photos attached. Here:
http://www.acagle.net/images/Speakers/KLH_04.jpg
http://www.acagle.net/images/Speakers/KLH_01.jpg

Edit: Hey cool, I just responded to a 6-year old post!

Last edited:
Those KLH 22s look so close to my 24s it's scary...

They're exactly the same. KLH took the Model Twenty-Twos and redesignated them the Model Twenty-Four when they included them in the Twenty-Four compact stereo. There was a later development, the Model Twenty-Four, Series II which had RCA jacks instead of binding posts. Otherwise they were the same speaker.

I've got the whole KLH 24 system (phono/AM/FM & spks) and I'm working on some tube amps. I may try the tube w/ KLH 24 idea. Thanks!

Those things are a lot of fun. I had a Model Thirty-Five system that I bought new in the early '70s. Wish I still had it.

John

IMHO, the KLH 22 and 32 are some of the most impressive 8" 2-way speakers made anytime in the 1960s, period. UNBELIVABLE bass heft and good extension, for a speaker of their size. There's no way these speakers have any right to have THIS MUCH good-sounding bass, out of a cabinet THAT small.

Regards,
Gordon.

I love 'em but I have to say that the ADS L400 can give 'em a run for their money.

John

Back
Top Bottom