What is the best all around Vintage Turntable?

Your Right..PL-630 should be there....Here you go...

Also using Dual 1019, 1229, Pioneer PL-518x and Thorens TD-145

The PL-630 is a well built,simple to use, and sonically great TT.Very smooth and quite operation.A joy to own if you have one that works properly and is set up right.

Some Brits held a "Bake-off" where the Pioneer PL-71 bested the Linn LP12. Looks like the poster was ultimately banned for heresy. ;)

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53692&page=8

I read that after doing a search for a PS-X70 a while back. It was interesting, but it was typical DD vs Belt drive stuff, with the usual arrogant posts. And they said the PS-X70 had potential, but was let down by the arm mistracking because the counterweight was at the back of the arm. Not to mention little effort was put into setting up the Linn. A true shootout would have all tables set up correctly, or else why bother?

Why has no one add the Thorens TD150 I feel it's one of the best turntables ever made.I do love her
IMG_1377.jpg

For "best all around" I'll vote for the DUAL 1019.

Simple: Hard to screw it up. Ignore failures in the changer spindles and it is quite reliable.

Available: Easy to find one and usually at a reasonable price.

Sweet: They sound good and it is easy to find a compatible cart.

Popular: How many of us have NOT owned a 1019 at some point?

Recognition Factor: Is there anyone out there who does not know what a 1019 is? You don't even have to say DUAL.

And yes, I'll admit to being prejudiced.

Let me second that. I purchased a 1019 new in 1967 for $129 and I still own it. Bohey went over it several months ago (first servicing ever) mainly because of noise associated with the tonearm wiring and mute switches. It sounds and looks beautiful.

I'm kinda partcial to my Marantz 6300 that I restored. However I do like my empire 598 II also. Speaking of the 598. If anyone needs an extra cartridge carrier. theres one on ebay for sale. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140537806974&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Sorry, don’t mean to step on or steel a thread. However I was knocked over when I saw your picture posted here. In the back ground on top of the Marantz Turn table there is an arm with a small roller and a brush attached at the end. I have one of those. It came with my PL-530 turntable. I assume it is to set like an arm and run to clean records?? Could you please share how it’s used?

Sorry, don’t mean to step on or steel a thread. However I was knocked over when I saw your picture posted here. In the back ground on top of the Marantz Turn table there is an arm with a small roller and a brush attached at the end. I have one of those. It came with my PL-530 turntable. I assume it is to set like an arm and run to clean records?? Could you please share how it’s used?

I also have one of those, but on my Thorens TD125. Here's a rather detailed description from Gramophone Magazine:

Bib Groov-Kleen Model 42
Manufactured by Bib Division, Multicore Solders Ltd., Hemel Hempstead, Herts.

THE Bib Groov-Kleen is the latest of many audio accessories to reach us from Multicore Solders Limited. Its specific function is to tease out and collect loose dust particles from a record surface during playing.
The business end consists of a brush of fine black hairs which are designed to winkle dust out of the grooves. Behind this (actually preceding it, so far as contact with the record is concerned) is a roller covered with black velvet material. This has the dual purpose of assisting the Groov-Kleen in tracking across the record, driven by the spiralling grooves, and clinging on to the dust. The roller does not revolve in use, but may be moved round from time to time to bring a fresh portion of its surface into use and so prolong its life. (Replacement roller and brush are available in Bib pack Ref. 42S.)
For normal clearing of dust from the roller, a small nylon brush is provided of the sort frequently supplied for stylus cleaning. (On the face of it, where reasonably clean records are being played, I can see no serious objection to using the same brush for both jobs—stylus and Groov-Klecn roller.) The roller is mounted on a wire pivot which carries extra weight in the shape of a wire outrider, to ensure steady tracking over record warps etc. independent of movement of the end brush.
The carrying arm is of anodised aluminium tubing with a counterbalance weight of steel giving (on the review sample as received) a downward playing pressure of 2-35 grams, In fact, the counterbalance is adjustable and a playing weight down to about 1 gram would be practicable. A hole in the arm fits over a vertical pivot rod. This is set into a moderately heavy pedestal which permits height adjustment over a range of about 11 to inches.
Bib claimed originally that the Groov-Kleen had been designed to fit "any make of turntable unit" but, since the introduction during the last few months of units with very shallow turntables, they have qualified this statement. A special model will soon be available for the Beogram 1200 and, in the interim, Bib will supply a shorter pedestal free of charge to any user of a new shallow turntable who has already acquired a Groov-Kleen.
The pivot rod of the standard model at its highest setting is just high enough for the Garrard 301 or 401 and, at its lowest, operates satisfactorily with a Garrard SP25 Mk. III. It is obvious that a considerable amount of thought has been given to the measurements of the arm and the base. The complete unit will, for example, fit the Garrard SP.25 Mk. III, which has one of the most compact decks, and the arm may be left in position when the cover is in place. The dimensions of the base of the pedestal enable it to be fitted to BSR/McDonald decks despite the rather large transit bolts which are situated at the top lefthand corner of these units.
To instal the Groov-Kleen on a turntable, it should be placed on its pivot and the pedestal moved around on the motorboard until the best position is found. This is determined by three factors: first, there must be no risk of the Groov-Kleen colliding with the pickup arm as they traverse the record. This probably means that somewhere in the top or bottom lefthand corner of the motorboard will be best. Second, the pedestal must be at that distance from the record spindle which causes the brush to pass over the centre exactly. Third, the spindle height must be adjusted to make the Groov-Kleen parallel to the record surface during playing.

I also have one of those, but on my Thorens TD125. Here's a rather detailed description from Gramophone Magazine:

Bib Groov-Kleen Model 42
Manufactured by Bib Division, Multicore Solders Ltd., Hemel Hempstead, Herts.

THE Bib Groov-Kleen is the latest of many audio accessories to reach us from Multicore Solders Limited. Its specific function is to tease out and collect loose dust particles from a record surface during playing.
The business end consists of a brush of fine black hairs which are designed to winkle dust out of the grooves. Behind this (actually preceding it, so far as contact with the record is concerned) is a roller covered with black velvet material. This has the dual purpose of assisting the Groov-Kleen in tracking across the record, driven by the spiralling grooves, and clinging on to the dust. The roller does not revolve in use, but may be moved round from time to time to bring a fresh portion of its surface into use and so prolong its life. (Replacement roller and brush are available in Bib pack Ref. 42S.)
For normal clearing of dust from the roller, a small nylon brush is provided of the sort frequently supplied for stylus cleaning. (On the face of it, where reasonably clean records are being played, I can see no serious objection to using the same brush for both jobs—stylus and Groov-Klecn roller.) The roller is mounted on a wire pivot which carries extra weight in the shape of a wire outrider, to ensure steady tracking over record warps etc. independent of movement of the end brush.
The carrying arm is of anodised aluminium tubing with a counterbalance weight of steel giving (on the review sample as received) a downward playing pressure of 2-35 grams, In fact, the counterbalance is adjustable and a playing weight down to about 1 gram would be practicable. A hole in the arm fits over a vertical pivot rod. This is set into a moderately heavy pedestal which permits height adjustment over a range of about 11 to inches.
Bib claimed originally that the Groov-Kleen had been designed to fit "any make of turntable unit" but, since the introduction during the last few months of units with very shallow turntables, they have qualified this statement. A special model will soon be available for the Beogram 1200 and, in the interim, Bib will supply a shorter pedestal free of charge to any user of a new shallow turntable who has already acquired a Groov-Kleen.
The pivot rod of the standard model at its highest setting is just high enough for the Garrard 301 or 401 and, at its lowest, operates satisfactorily with a Garrard SP25 Mk. III. It is obvious that a considerable amount of thought has been given to the measurements of the arm and the base. The complete unit will, for example, fit the Garrard SP.25 Mk. III, which has one of the most compact decks, and the arm may be left in position when the cover is in place. The dimensions of the base of the pedestal enable it to be fitted to BSR/McDonald decks despite the rather large transit bolts which are situated at the top lefthand corner of these units.
To instal the Groov-Kleen on a turntable, it should be placed on its pivot and the pedestal moved around on the motorboard until the best position is found. This is determined by three factors: first, there must be no risk of the Groov-Kleen colliding with the pickup arm as they traverse the record. This probably means that somewhere in the top or bottom lefthand corner of the motorboard will be best. Second, the pedestal must be at that distance from the record spindle which causes the brush to pass over the centre exactly. Third, the spindle height must be adjusted to make the Groov-Kleen parallel to the record surface during playing.

Do you like it? Do you think it works well? I havent tried it. Now with this info you have provided, I guess I'll try setting it up and see.

Some years back I had a Yamaha PF-800. Last quality TT Yahmaha made. Sold it when my current 1985 Linn Sondek LP 12 became availabe. The Yammie was a very good player. Don't see many out in the market.:smoke:

With flamesuit on (Linnies can be rabid! :D), I'll suggest that this TT gives the famed LP-12 a close run for its money, sonically. I was able to hear them in the same room, at the same session, with mostly the same gear (unfortunately not a fully-blind perfect A/B, but close), and the differences mostly matters of taste/preference, more than of quality. Given the difference in price, I think the Yammie is greater value-for-money these days.

Sony PS-X75
Sony PS-X70

Nice to see some Sonys mentioned; I picked up a PS-X7 for $50 today. First time I've owned a tt in at least 20 years.

Based on my (very) limited knowledge, I'd vote for the Technics SL-1200 and its numerous variants, and also some of the high-end Denons from the late 70s and early 80s.

Back
Top Bottom