a useful link for silicone oil ratings for your tonearm damper

melofelo

Addicted Member
stumbled across this while trying to source some silicone differential oil for my akai ap 206c arm lift which has lost its smooth damped cueing...the thing drops like a brick now...but the auto lift raises smoothly as normal..

perhaps i'll try the kyosho 550 bottle as it seems closest to the 500 cst rating that might work...

anyway...not sure how accurate it is.... but this comparison chart seems to help to demystify the varied silicone oil ratings between rc shock oil manufacturers...

http://www.rcrcr.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=56:shock-oil-cps-vs-wt&catid=31:general&Itemid=46

i thought it might help with tracking down the magic stuff in the correct consistency & tackiness ... especially here in the UK.

That is useful! I would have thought a diff oil would be appropriate, let us know what you decide.

i'm awaiting delivery of some silicone grease (high tack) ..probably used for plumbing..if that fails then i'll try some kyosho 550 and report back..:yes:
i might buy a few different weights for three other turntables i have that need cue lever attention once i sort the akai out..
i think the consistency you use depends on the way the lever works...ie whether it is a piston in a cylinder or as in the case of the akai merely a piston with a spring that uses a plastic cylinder type housing that forms part of the top plinth moulding...

at least i've learned the hard way that petroleum based automotive grease is 100% useless..and probably not a good idea for plastic parts anyway..:D

seems the 'high tack' silicone plumbing grease does the job on my akai ap 206c..
its almost clear goop stuff..about the same consistency as vaseline at room temperature but stickier

for those in the UK trying to find a suitable fix...30ml for £4 including postage is pretty cheap
'high tack (HT) silicone grease' should bring up results on ebay.co.uk for Uk members...
i'm sure you guys over the pond have something similar at hardware stores..

i think i will be treating my Ariston RD 60 and AR EB101 turntable to the same stuff as both arms have lost their smooth cueing..:scratch2:

seems the 'high tack' silicone plumbing grease does the job on my akai ap 206c..
its almost clear goop stuff..about the same consistency as vaseline at room temperature but stickier

for those in the UK trying to find a suitable fix...30ml for £4 including postage is pretty cheap
'high tack (HT) silicone grease' should bring up results on ebay.co.uk for Uk members...
i'm sure you guys over the pond have something similar at hardware stores..

i think i will be treating my Ariston RD 60 and AR EB101 turntable to the same stuff as both arms have lost their smooth cueing..:scratch2:

Hi, the lift in the AR arm is made by Jelco (if stock arm) the cue-ing piston is brass, and the bore is steel. The grease will be too heavy, and will not allow the spring to push the piston down. 100,000-500,000 cst is what you want for that. If you need to dress the bore or piston, nothing heavier than 3 micron paper run only in the "horizontal" ie don't polish in the up and down on either piece. If dressing is needed, clean both pieces in hot soapy water after and use a lint fee cloth to dry.

Hi, the lift in the AR arm is made by Jelco (if stock arm) the cue-ing piston is brass, and the bore is steel. The grease will be too heavy, and will not allow the spring to push the piston down. 100,000-500,000 cst is what you want for that. If you need to dress the bore or piston, nothing heavier than 3 micron paper run only in the "horizontal" ie don't polish in the up and down on either piece. If dressing is needed, clean both pieces in hot soapy water after and use a lint fee cloth to dry.

excellent info..much appreciated..:thmbsp:

As always Dave, just trying to help with what and where I can.....how ya doing buddy? Your "upgraded" site looks wonderful.

Hey Marc,

Doing well. About to launch a new website for vintage Thorens parts...and about to start offering more tables at VN. Still loving what I do...that's what it's all about.

Dave

Thanks for sharing ! I'm planning on dissembling my TT this weekend and giving the tonearm a good clean up (it does not dampen and track well)

Back
Top Bottom