My First TT - Pioneer PL-12D MK II

coletrain

My First TT - Pioneer PL-12D MK II -HELP WITH HUMMING

EDIT: Haveing trouble with humming sound. Please see page 3.

We'll I jumped in to the foray with my first TT. I thought I'd show it off...

IMAG0398.jpg

IMAG0394.jpg

IMAG0396.jpg

IMAG0395.jpg

I am gonna get it cleaned up and have to install a new belt. Cant wait! :music: What do you think?

Last edited:
I think that looks like a brand spankin" new one! Whatta score!
My very first table was a 12D. They punched way above their weight class and were extreme over-acheivers too!
The mistake I made was getting rid of mine for a Technics SL1900. I should have kept the Pioneer.

I think that looks like a brand spankin" new one! Whatta score!
My very first table was a 12D. They punched way above their weight class and were extreme over-acheivers too!
The mistake I made was getting rid of mine for a Technics SL1900. I should have kept the Pioneer.

Thanks! I think so too! I got it from the original owner. He was very careful with it for 30 plus years and was happy to see it going to a good home. :thmbsp:

Congratulations, the turntable is in excellent condition!:thmbsp:

Original headshell too!!!

What is the cartridge on it?:scratch2:

...my first TT....have to install a new belt.

I think the 12D belt is the 23.6" flat belt ...same as the 112D etc series, of which I have the 115D and the 117D.

If someone can confirm the belt size as 23.6" flat, I'm pretty sure that I have a new one on hand that I can flip in the post to you. Once we get some size confirmation you can just PM me with you full name and postal coordinates.

Enjoy.

the pioneer pl12d is a great way to get into vinyl :thmbsp:it also happens to mate nicely with an audio technica at95e as well as the shures...

I think the 12D belt is the 23.6" flat belt ...same as the 112D etc series, of which I have the 115D and the 117D.

If someone can confirm the belt size as 23.6" flat, I'm pretty sure that I have a new one on hand that I can flip in the post to you. Once we get some size confirmation you can just PM me with you full name and postal coordinates.

Enjoy.

You are correct sir, just put a new one on my table that is that model. :thmbsp:

Nice! This was my 1st TT too! The thing is a tank and yours looks brand new, congrats.

Great table, and I love the built in overhang checker. That is indeed a Shure M91ED a very smooth sounding cartridge. I have a PL-10 that is pretty much identical. I added bracing, damping material and rewired, it has now beat out my beloved AR.

AWESOME!!

My current and first turntable is your exact same table, a PL-12D. Got it a year ago. Mine is in perfect condition (like new) and came with a micro acoustics 530 mp cartridge. It was $50.

we are TT bros apparently

We'll I jumped in to the vinyl foray with my first TT. I thought I'd show it off...

IMAG0398.jpg

IMAG0394.jpg

IMAG0396.jpg

IMAG0395.jpg

I am gonna get it cleaned up and have to install a new belt. Cant wait! :music: What do you think?

how do you know it needs a new belt? i am simply asking and hope to learn something......

It should be a Shure M 91ED.

An very good cartridge with .002 X .007 nude mount elliptical stylus ( para phrasing what I have read ).:music:

Looks like the cartridge is mounted via a metal clip, making it an M91E (??) Also, the stylus carrier looks like it may be dark green. If it is you have an N91-3 stylus for 78 RPM records only. If I'm mistaken and the stylus is black you've got an N91E elliptical for 33 & 45 RPM records.

The PL-12D is a great table and yours looks like a terrific example. As has been said, they're real over-achievers and sound far better than they have a right to. Congratulations!

John

Had to share my PL-12R. I've been using it with a Denon DL-160 as my second table up until a few weeks ago. It sounded every bit as good as my Thorens tables.

Last edited:
Great table, and I love the built in overhang checker. That is indeed a Shure M91ED a very smooth sounding cartridge. I have a PL-10 that is pretty much identical. I added bracing, damping material and rewired, it has now beat out my beloved AR.

Do you have any pictures? I'd love to see a thread about modding these tables. I think my 12D is here to stay, so I wouldn't mind doing a few reasonable mods if it truly helps.

Welcome to AK and the wonderful world of Vinyl. Very Nice! TT, looks new! Enjoy your records and music..:banana:

Thanks,
John.:music::D

Last edited:
how do you know it needs a new belt? i am simply asking and hope to learn something......

I know it needs a new belt because the old belt was handed to me in peices in a ziploc bag! :D The origial owner showed me where it goes under the platter.

Thanks everyone for all the nice comments. I just bought a "rare" canadian press of Dire Straights.... It has Sultans of Swing Live in London 1984. Dying to hear it!!!

AWESOME!!

My current and first turntable is your exact same table, a PL-12D. Got it a year ago. Mine is in perfect condition (like new) and came with a micro acoustics 530 mp cartridge. It was $50.

we are TT bros apparently

Hey Brother! I paid $45 sans belt.. :D

Back
Top Bottom