Bob Carver has built new Amazing Line Source Speakers~

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNRabbit

TN boy languishing in MD
Here's the latest on the new line source speakers Bob Carver & James Sauter have been working on. Will be marketed under Bob Carver LLC:

This speaker will produce 121 dB SPL without distortion. Power handling is 2,000 watts rms without distortion. Sensitivity is 96 dB SPL @ 2.83 volts rms. It uses four vacuum tubes, four for the active crossover. There are three modes. Active crossover mode which requires two amplifiers for each speaker. Passive crossover mode which requires one amplifier for each speaker. Either mode may be used with or without a separate sub-woofer, yielding the third mode. It does not need a sub-woofer because it has so many drivers that the total air displacement is vast. All it needs is low frequency equalization for the woofers to make the system flat. That job is performed in the crossover box that comes with the speakers. The crossover box has the following controls: Low frequency Q, upper midrange level, high frequency level, and two switches used to set the system up mode-wise. It is very easy to use.

The imaging and tonal characteristics are similar to my Cinema Ribbons, the differences being that these speakers possess a majesty, a bigness, and a sound with sonic and emotional envelopment that normal speakers cannot. They are the best speakers I ever designed. Les Williams said they may well be the best speakers EVER! All based on the work so far.

Bob

These are the prototypes. Minor adjustments left, but they are 75% done--

IMG_2629.jpg

IMG_2631.jpg

IMG_2628.jpg

IMG_2612.jpg

The last pic above is the builder, James Sauter (Toy Maker on carveraudio) & The BobFather.

The stands are temporary; they will actually have feet something like this:

NewALSBase1.jpg

NewALSBase4.jpg

NewALSBase3.jpg

NewALSBase2.jpg

This is a shot in a mock-up plywood. Final will be extruded aluminum.

NewALSBase5.jpg

This is funny: a shot of the passive crossover components that were swapped out during test/voicing:

ALS_Crossover_temp.jpg

Be interesting to A/B them with Pipedreams; AKer Beemer has a pair of the latter; among the very best reproduced sound I've ever heard (with top-class program material, at any rate).

-- and I am not generally a big fan of line arrays --

Folks at another forum we know would be apoplectic to see the clip leads...

Those drivers look like the planar tweeters from Parts Express, not that it need be a bad thing. I wonder.

I am skeptical of the claim of 121db "without distortion".

:yes: and a bit disappointed.

As far as i'm concerned statements like that destroy the credibility of any further claims made regarding those speakers.

Those drivers look like the planar tweeters from Parts Express, not that it need be a bad thing. I wonder.

I'm sure there's some hyperbole in that statement. Most people understand that there's no such thing as a distortionless audio system.

They might well be without AUDIBLE distortion...

Line arrays have many sonic advantages, when done right. These could be great speakers... I look forward to one day seeing and hearing them "in the fles-, uh, aluminum!"

Most people understand that there's no such thing as a distortionless audio system.
You and i are aware of the hyperbole, but indeed "most" people understand statements about performance made by "professionals" of Bob Carver's ilk to be truthful and factually supported.

I don't know how broadly published that statement will be, but it is sure to be the source of some debate and conjecture.

FWIW i have a good deal of respect for Mr Carver, and i'm confident that he knows there's no such thing as a distortionless speaker. But many folks will draw a different conclusion upon reading statements like that from well respected sources.

"Without a significant rise in distortion" is how I read that :scratch2:. It does look like the PE planar tweeter. With so little midrange being directly radiated, I can't help but be skeptical.

Most people understand that there's no such thing as a distortionless audio system.

Yes, in some regards.

However, distortion spec of speakers is very seldom mentioned in product literature; people would be shocked by the numbers considering the discusiion of the difference between (for example) 0.5% and 0.05% or 0.005% is not unusual to see for electronics.

Last edited:
That's a thousand bucks per channel just for tweets.
Not if we're going into production and solicit unit pricing direct from the manufacturer, and i cannot imagine sourcing parts for any scale of production any other way.

When you purchase by the thousand lot, prices reduce, sometimes dramatically.

The cabinet proper appears to be an aluminum extrusion. These "might" make it to market at a bit lower msrp than one might first expect. Much will depend on the scale with which they choose to produce them.

With so little midrange being directly radiated, I can't help but be skeptical.
Polar plots and other graphically displayed analysis would be interesting and make for some useful comparison.

An MSRP of $8k has been tossed around....

Also, the parts express ribbons are nowhere close to the power handling of these ribbons. They are the same ones used in Sunfire's Cinema Ribbon speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom