Member Rooms: Who's Got One and Whatcha Bringin'?

whell

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
OK, so I'm getting a bit excited about the 2012 Fest (disclaimer: not as excited as Ski :D ). I'm curious about who's got a member room and what you're going to be setting up in your room. So, let's see if we can stock this thread on the following member room topics:

- Who you are
- Where you're coming from
- What's your strategy for your room - if you have one. Your strategy can also be simply: "listen to tunes, drink beer and meet fellow AK members."
- What kind of equipment you have
- Gear that you're bringing, and what your set up might look like
- Primary sources (vinyl, CD, etc.)
- What kind of music that might be heard coming from your room

This also might be a good thread for "members helping members". If you've had a member room at the past, what tips can you provide that might make it easy for folks who are setting up a member room for the first time (member room virgins?).

Maybe a better title for this thread might be: "Preview of Coming Attractions." :D

OK, so I'll go first and lead by example.

I'm Mike and I am from Livonia, so I'm only about 2 miles as the crow flies from the Hotel where the 2012 Fest will be held. I attended the first AK Fest when it was held at the old Michigan Inn. The Novi Sheraton is, by leaps and bounds, a very nice upgrade. However, the first Fest was still a blast as have been each succeeding Fest.

My strategy for this year's Fest is also reflected in the gear that I'm bringing: Making Hi-Res Hifi easy, and if at all possible, cheap. To that end, I'll be bringing all the music with me on an external hard drive. Currently I don't plan to bring any records or CD's. Since I still am in the learning stages as it relates to using a PC / hard drive as a source device, it would be great if other members who are into PC or Server-Based audio can swing by and share their experiences.

The gear in the listening room will be set up as follows: Acer laptop with an outboard USB hard drive feeding an Antelope Audio Zodiac DAC, or a Furutech GT-40 DAC. The DAC will be connected directly to the amp: a Rotel RB-1092. The speakers are Econowaves that were designed and built by fellow AK member Dennis Nagle. Before Dennis converted them to Econowaves, they started life as a pair of ESS EMT-1's. The Acer laptop will likely be running Linux (currently Ubuntu 10). Linux is currently streaming bit-perfect to the DAC via the music program Quodlibet (or deadbeef). However, I'd like to try to get mpd installed and running by the Fest, so I can control everything from my iPad.

Given the set up, the primary source will be the PC/DAC combo. I'll be spending time between now and the fest ripping some of my vinyl to the hard drive (using Audacity). I'm mostly a classic rock junkie, with some blues, jazz and classical thrown in for a change-up when desired.

This will be my 3rd time with a member room, though both prior occasions were at the Fest in 2008 and 2009 at the Embassy Suites hotel. So, if anyone can offer specific suggestions or "good to know" tips about setting up at the Sheraton, please post.

As usual, be sure to bring what you need for extension cords and any special platforms / risers / stands for equipment. If your equipment is sensitive to current fluctuations or EMI, you might consider some kind of power / line conditioner. Also, bring a stash of food or munchies. At past Fests, lunch was available to be ordered, but I missed lunch order one day because I was out visiting other rooms. On that note, its always good to have someone who can cover your member room for a while so you can go out and enjoy the Fest.

Who Are You?

I am part of SMAC Boys & sharing a room with them.

Where you're coming from?

We are coming from Mid & SE Michigan

What's your strategy for your room?

Strategy...I think "listen to tunes, drink beer and meet fellow AK members." should cover it.

Equipment?

Too Much to list...

Primary sources (vinyl, CD, etc.)

Ointment-Boy (AKA Island-boy) & SOTA-Boy are both vinyl junkies!

Muzak-Boy & Growler-Boy might be considered indifferent to source... but extremely picky about their Beer & Fried Chicken.

What kind of music that might be heard coming from your room?

We only listen to GOOD MUSIC, we have found that playing BAD MUSIC typically clears the room...

:D

Who Are You?
Ryan (Erkenbrand42) and Sean (Tube-It). We've attended a couple of AKFests, and this will be our first time with a member's room.

Rochester, NY

What's your strategy for your room?
Tunes, beer and hanging out just about covers it.

Equipment?
Hmmm, we're still working on this one. The problem is keeping the list reasonable.
So far . . .
JBL 4315s
Home made speakers I call the 'Tombstones' using Audio Nirvana 8s and JBL 12s.
Depending on the amount of space, maybe the Rectilinear Lowboys.
Mix of McIntosh, Mitsubishi, Yamaha, Sherwood, etc for driving everything.

Sources . . . Thorens TD 190, HiFiMan, AMB Gamma DAC, SonicWeld Diverter from one of our laptops, Philips 963SA with PS and chassis mods.

Pretty much everything that my wife calls 'garbage'. :music:

Hints:
1. Bring good extension cords and power strips. If you have them, bring power conditioners. With all of the power the building is going to be asked to supply, you can expect pretty good fluctuation.

2. Bring snacks. The days will fly by and you'll realize you haven't eaten in 10 hours.

3. Bring your camera.

4. Bring a cart! During setup there's a huge demand for the available carts. What the hotel has are luggage carts, and only a few of those. Everybody is going to want one at the same time. Save yourself a lot of bother and bring your own if you can fit it in.

5. Bring money for an AKFest Tshirt. I still wear my first one every now and then, even though it's starting to look a bit tattered. My second year I didn't have enough cash to pick one up, and have since regretted it. But I love my 'Jazz at the Pawn Shop' CDs. ;)

6. Bring some folding chairs. The hotel rooms have a sofa and a chair or two. You'll find yourself wanting a spot to sit when your room is full.

7. If you still have room and have some portable sound control you'll want it. Wall panels, traps, etc. They aren't necessary, but do make a difference. You can make do with positioning the room furniture and drapes.

8. You're going to want your tool box. Throw together a basic kit. You'll be surprised at what breaks on the road trip, or how loved you'll be when your neighbor needs a soldering iron and you can help out. Trade solder for beer!

9. Above all, be prepared to have a great time! This is the audio event of the year. :banana:

Last edited:
- Who you are

x_25, AKA Jon (though I will answer to either)

- Where you're coming from

North west NJ, though the plan is to come via Canada since I will be picking someone up.

- What's your strategy for your room - if you have one. Your strategy can also be simply: "listen to tunes, drink beer and meet fellow AK members."

Hang out, listen to tunes, not so much on the beer drinking myself but feel free to bring your own. :thmbsp:

A mix of everything from console amps to midline high-fi SS.

- Gear that you're bringing, and what your set up might look like

As much as I can shove in my little car, which should be a lot! Right now the list is, Musical Fidelity A3CR amp and pre, Matrix Mini-i DAC, Philips DVD 936-SA, Pioneer PL-518 (or my JVC QL5 if I have it fixed by then), Vandersteen 2Ci and my JBL subwoofer.

The if I have space/if it is working by the time the fest rolls around list: Magnavox 175 console amp, possibly an RH84 integrated, if they are built 6L6 PPP monoblocks (unlikely) and a Teac RTR if it is fixed by then (also unlikly).

- Primary sources (vinyl, CD, etc.)

Vinyl, CD and (gasp!) MP3.

- What kind of music that might be heard coming from your room

Anything and everything, from classical to rock to jazz and hip-hop. Heck, the band I am into right now is a jazz band that covers old hip hop songs!

- Who you are------John Six
- Where you're coming from-----Central Ohio

Yes, drink beer and listen to tunes will be accomplished. I will be spending some time walking around and listening too and admiring other systems.

Yamaha RX-V992 Receiver, Bose 901 series II speakers, a Marantz 6150 TT with a Shure V15RS and new Ed Saunders Stylus this is hooked up to a MMF Phone pre. Radio Shack HD Tuner to check out the Detroit HD radio Stations.
I will also be bringing a NuForce I con 2 dac so I can play Flac files off the computer. Besides the Yamaha HT set up I will also bring a Carver PM700 amp.

I'm cramped for space as all of this has to fit in my Corolla. Once I add in speaker stands of some kind and clothing I'm hoping to have room for some extra speakers I have made.

My music will be mostly rock and roll with a tad of blues, new wave and punk tossed in.

Last edited:
6. Bring some folding chairs. The hotel rooms have a sofa and a chair or two. You'll find yourself wanting a spot to sit when your room is full.

Last fest ('10) my listening room came with about a dozen chairs. The hotel for the 2 years before that had the suite style rooms with a couch and 2 chairs but the "new" one has standard hotel rooms with generic chairs like you'd find downstairs in the ballroom.

Trying to remember what it was, though I am sure some C + C Music Factory would empty a room.

The one band you had that was a small, self produced one, wasn't bad. I remember you commenting on the drums. Can't remember what the one was the cleaned out the room but it was pretty loud screamo-ish stuff, IIRC.

After close while folks were packing up (it doesn't take that long with a CDP, integrated amp, and 2 speakers) I got stupid loud with some Hammer and the guys from Dynaudio across the hall came over to bust a move. :D

Booked a listening room !

Special Thanks to JBStemp !.. :yes:

Planning on bringing :
Jim's Marantz SA1 and maybeeee his Mc240 ?? ..some type of vinyl rotation contraption ...:dunno:
Allen 75 mono blocks ( pair )
Fisher 100T tuner pre
.............................the plan is to do a blind comparison between these two.
Mc MX110 tuner pre

Big Azz EV's
JBL 4412's
Anything cool that I can get my hands on in the meantime.

Last edited:
Who Are You?

I am Mark from Marysville, MI. I am a member of SMAC and I have been to the previous three Meets. This will be my second listening room experience. I have been a member of AK since February 2008.

60 miles NE of Detroit

what’s your strategy for your room?

Present somewhat rare, vintage equipment. It may not sound like a million but I think it will provide the visual WOW factor.

Equipment?

HH Scott 296 integrated tube amp and 333B tube tuner. Both in original walnut cabinets and totally restored by NOS Valves.
ADC-18 speakers that have KEF drivers
Undecided TT, either a Pioneer PL-50A, Pioneer PL-530, Luxman PD-277. I am leaning towards the PL-50A because of the matching walnut base – remember, I’m after a certain look.
Cart choice is undecided but probably the Shure M97xE with SAS stylus and Hypnotoad upgraded CambridgeAzur 640P
Marantz SA8300 SACD player which is nice for the visitors that usually bring CD’s to demo
Maybe the TEAC X-2000R
I also have an extensive lava lamp collection (18) so expect to see at least 4.

vinyl

jazz, rock and trip hop. Maybe I’ll bring my complete James Bond or Mancini collection!
I encourage people to bring stuff to play.

Sounds great Mark. Encouraging folks to bring their music to your listening room is not only a great way for folks to feel at home in your listening room, but also is a great way to check out music you may not have heard before.

See you there!

Something that everyone with a listening room should bring is...a friend to watch your room while you go run around and check out everyone else's room. :thmbsp:

I encourage people to bring stuff to play.
That reminds me that I need to break out the Philips and put together a few needle drops of some of my near and dear.

Since I am traveling light a few CD's are going to be it. :thmbsp:

- Who you are - Dave Wojo, Mike Williams

- Where you're coming from - Wojo, 20 minutes west, Punkerx - Flint, MI

- What's your strategy for your room - Let everyone else enjoy the sound of tube bi-amped Altec 604-8G, 604-8H or 604-8K coax "ceiling" speakers, and share expenses with Mike (PunkerX)

- What kind of equipment you have - Elite 80+ tube amps, Jolida 502 and Acoustic Fidelity tube amps plus Mike's NOSvalves VRD's and Almarro from Grumpy. BBE DS26 crossover, Denon DVD-2930CI SACD player. Mikes 604's? :scratch2:

- Gear that you're bringing, and what your set up might look like + Mikes gear and more tube amps;
1242076561.jpg

- Primary sources - SACD, CD & FM broadcast from Mike's FM station, probably leaving vinyl home this time, lost a button on the Dual CS-741Q last time. :tears:

- What kind of music that might be heard coming from your room - Norah Jones, just kidding, it's a Nora Jones Free Zone!! Just about any genre, Mannheim Steamroller Christmas, Pink Floyd, Eagle's, Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Wynton Masallis, Keb Mo, Massive Attack? Bring your favorites, we'll be happy to play them!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom