RCA Adapter Question

YamahaFreak

I am looking for a specific adapter to do a specific job, and Google searches are sketchy. I need an adapter that will take a stereo (2x RCA) cable and make it a mono (1x RCA) without removing either channel. A combiner, effectively. I basically need a way to run a stereo source into a mono amp/speaker without losing anything. If someone could point me in the direction of the cheapest way to do this, I would be most appreciative. :yes:

one of these should do it ..
rca splitter ..

21SOGw0xRDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

or one of these ...
RCA_splitter_450.jpg

Thank you!

petehall, were there supposed to be links in your post?

After browsing more of this board, I fear I may have posted in the wrong area. :D

Is it this simple? I thought you needed some type of electronics or circuit to sum the L and R channel.

+2, thought a y-cable was to split one signal into two identical signals. You're not going to get a mono signal from hooking the left and right together, surely?

Not as bad as you might think, but not the best solution. If both outputs are from the same line level device they share a common ground, so usually the voltages will sum just fine and result in a mono signal. The output impedance, however, will be lower since both will be in parallel. Usually there will be a buffer following the sum to set the output impedance, but you won't get that out of a cable.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯ `· .¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>‏

In fact I read, Art Dudley recommended two Y adapters connected at the (combined) single end tail side to sum a Stereo feed to dual Mono feed as a cheap and simple way to enjoy Mono recordings on a Stereo system.

Happy Listening!:beatnik:

It may have been a good idea to elaborate on why I needed this done. x3

I have an old Webcor 4905 two-way amplified speaker (vacuum tube amp) and want to use it with stereo sources. It's got one 'LO' input and one 'HI' input, both a single mono RCA jack. I need to sum the two (stereo) RCA cables from my stereo sources into the single (mono) input on the amp, without losing anything. So far, I am using a generic 2-to-1 RCA adapter cable, and it seems right, but the sound is off a bit, and I just can't put my finger on why. Both channels DO seem to be there...:scratch2:

I made one using the lead from an old set of headphones. Worked perfectly for years feeding mono vcr into stereo amp.
Much easier to buy 2rca male -1 rca male. They are readily available.

cheers
Stu

Back
Top Bottom