Best Sound at akfest 2012

kwingylee

Other than the stable of consistent high performers, I think the SMAC room really out did themselves this year with Dennis's horn/heil tweeter speakers. I can live with these.

and I can live with the Altec 604s in the DGWOJO and TUNER X room, and the DIY PASS amplifier with Genesis Speakers, even the JBL 100Ts sounded good.

I especially appreciated the vendor rooms. I was impressed with quite a few rooms, the Harbeths, the Salks, the Odysseys, the Hawthorne rooms all sounded great. I am happy to see Don Keele's creation there as well.

Overall, a lot of fun but the member rooms really rock!

I liked the CD that we were enjoying in my room. What was that magnificent lady's name? Which of her CDs was that? Great to see you too!

What were those speakers in the Odyssey room? The two ways on the open stands?

I didn't see much of the systems, but those boys made a real solid impression on two separate occasions.

I liked the horn/Heil speakers a lot, too, though I only got to hear anything other than my own room for a few minutes. Another highlight for me was the big Hawthornes.

My favorite moment was in the cheaper of the two Audio Note rooms. Listening to Ella and Louis gave me goosebumps.

Oddly, the $100K plus big Audio Note system left me cold.

I walked into the Bogdan room and he was playing Bocelli on the 'Petra" speakers - those 350 pound big boys - it was like you were sitting in the front row - damn near brought tears to your eyes. Just astounding.

I liked the CD that we were enjoying in my room. What was that magnificent lady's name? Which of her CDs was that? Great to see you too!

Hey Squid, you mean the Chinese lady on Tony's CD? Or the ABsolute Sounds 2009 demo disk?

BTW, I couldn't get Tony's email to work for some reason.

Anyway her name is Tsai Chin aka. Cai Qin and she is from Taiwan. Probably the most popular artist for the mainland audiophiles. She is all over youtube. Just do a search.

Another BTW, You need the Cornies back....

Those COrnholios are something special. I do miss them for 'Fests, hopefully their replacements will be here before the next 'Fest. Glad you're enjoying them, they were a labor of love and still one of my most favorite speaker.

Thanks K. The problem I have now is they don't sound so good without Douglas' amps.

Hey Squid, you mean the Chinese lady on Tony's CD? Or the ABsolute Sounds 2009 demo disk?

BTW, I couldn't get Tony's email to work for some reason.

Anyway her name is Tsai Chin aka. Cai Qin and she is from Taiwan. Probably the most popular artist for the mainland audiophiles. She is all over youtube. Just do a search.

Another BTW, You need the Cornies back....

The Tsai Qin CD Tony played can be purchased at the following website:

http://www.malmusic.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30206

I "think" Ed might be refering to the many thousand dollar all tube CD player Jim had in ED's and Keg's room.

My favorite moment was in the cheaper of the two Audio Note rooms. Listening to Ella and Louis gave me goosebumps.

Oddly, the $100K plus big Audio Note system left me cold.

I have stayed away from audionote rooms ever since they quoted me a price of $68K for a two way box speaker in the room corner of one of the recent shows (maybe RMAF in Denver)... Wilsons, Magicos seem cheap by comparison.... They may be good but the price is out of sight.

I think I had that disc with me. You could have listened to it on your speakers too! :D

I didn't get a chance to get out a lot but a couple of rooms I peeked into got my attention. I liked the room next door to mine with the Maggie Minis. Desktop sized Magnepans are just cool.

The Odyssey room is always high on my list. The Lorelei speakers have been a longtime favorite of mine. I don't know what speakers they were playing when I went in (the open stand ones mentioned above) but they impressed me.

Where do I begin..The best amps point blank were Pak Protector Doug Picards with the 866 regulators..The best speakers I heard for the money, were unquestionably the Magnepan Mini three piece speaker system. Kegger had a single ended kt88 amp that could have hung with many high priced sets and everyone in the room was floored.It was incredibly good..
I would love to hear Doug Picard's amps on the new Magnepan 3.7s.
That be an experience to behold.

Where do I begin..The best amps point blank were Pak Protector Doug Picards with the 866 regulators..The best speakers I heard for the money, were unquestionably the Magnepan Mini three piece speaker system. Kegger had a single ended kt88 amp that could have hung with many high priced sets and everyone in the room was floored.It was incredibly good..
I would love to hear Doug Picard's amps on the new Magnepan 3.7s.
That be an experience to behold.

I'd like to hear my Allen 75's with my big Azz EV's !
That'd be an experience for me to behold.......:D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom