How many of you built Heathkits?

HiFiCanada

Caregiver
I am from the older generation now and was just curious of how many AK menbers on this forum built Heathkits?
Kit building was one way of obtaining stereo gear or Ham radio gear, test equipment, and so on.

I am the youngest of 5 and spent lots of time watching my oldest brother build Heathkits, Dynaco, and Hafler gear on the kitchen table. He became friends with David Hafler and helped him work out some circuits in his kits while Hafler was in Pensauken NJ.

My first stereo was a nice Heathkit but I can't remember the model. They used to have a store on Roosevelt Blvd. here in the Philly area.

Built several Heathkits, and Knight-kits too. Still have the 1st Heathkit I put together when I was 11 or 12.. a Heathkit tube type clock radio.

Heathkits, Dynaco, Eico and even a Grommes way back when. I built kits for friends in college for extra money - quick way to pick up $25. I could build a Stereo 70 in one evening; PAS3 took a little longer. My old Weller soldering gun got quite a workout.

My uncle kept Heathkit in business!! Audio, Ham/Sw, television, etc. I'd go to his house when I was 9 or 10 YO, and help him in the shop. He taught me basic electronics and soldering skills, etc. Thanks for bringing this up, pleasant memories hanging with Uncle Gene, RIP. I've still got a radio we built, and it still works fine.

My dad built tons of heathkit components - tv, receiver, scope etc. We built my old heathkit speakers and recently he helped me build out my VTA 125s.

My old Weller soldering gun got quite a workout.

Mention of the Weller soldering gun reminded me of this..
Not sure what I am building here in this picture from Christmas 1963, still have my pajamas on so it must have been important!

mebuildingkit63.jpg

Last edited:
Heathkit tuner and amp plus a few other things I don't recall, back in the day. Also built an A/C inverter (don't recall the brand) that we put in an old Ford Econoline so we would have proper tunes while my buddy and I drove from MA to CA, 1975.

We also swapped out the stock front seats for MGB bucket seats. We left right after the Red Sox lost the World Series.

I'm 56 and have built several Heathkits, Knight Kits and others over the years.
Amplifiers, radios, transmitters, test equipment, guitar amps, doo-dads, etc.

Last edited:
My Dad --an avid Heath fan gave me my first Heathkit Auto tuneup meter for Christmas of 1970. I built many kits after that --and sure do miss the company.

I built a handful of small Heathkit, Knight, and Eico kits when I was around 12. Built two Dynaco SCA-35s when I was 13. One for me, which I still have, and one for my sister who disposed of it (don't remember how) years ago.

I am from the older generation now and was just curious of how many AK menbers on this forum built Heathkits?
Kit building was one way of obtaining stereo gear or Ham radio gear, test equipment, and so on.
Heathkit was too much work for me. I did build a Dynaco 400 but that was really more of an "assembly" with some soldering and wiring. It took me a day.

Me, for one. Also a few Knight kits, like the 'Space Spanner' super-regenerative SW receiver (when I was 9, I think).

All great stories, I like the Weller soldering gun in the picture, I still have my Weller soldering gun from 1960's that I use almost every week, both Heathkit and Weller belong together.

I was about 14 when I built the Heathkit AA-22 , really, it was to hard of a kit as a starter kit, but I did not have the money to first buy a starter kit and then on to the AA-22 amp. I had trouble and it took me almost a year of going through the check list over and over again, finally I found a red brown red and a orange brown orange resistor was mixed up, corrected that and it was up and running until only a few years ago.

I built only one Heathkit, the IG-5218 sine/square function generator. I was more into Dynaco for audio because it was easier to find discounted prices that fit my budget. I built an SCA-80Q and an AF-6 in 1975 and an SCA-50 (from a Sound Values parts kit) in the early 1980s.

Between 1988 and 1996 I built three sets of Audio by Van Alstine upgrade boards for Dynaco preamp chassis. The Omega III is in a used PAT-5, the Omega II is in a used PAT-4, and I modified the Omega boards and installed them in an SCA-80Q.

I picked up three Heathkit audio components years after the company got out of the kit business and got all of them working again. The AA-1640 bowled me over with its build quality and sound quality, and I was also impressed with the AR-1500 and AR-19 receivers. I also have a bunch of used Dynaco gear including an ST-416 with the C-100 capacitor bank.

Back
Top Bottom