Marantz 2250 lamp housing replacement

bikemandan

I'm refurbishing my girlfriend's 2250, and all of her fuse lamps were out. Not only that, but the housing was so melty, I had to break it to get the lamps out.

I looked for a replacement for about 20 minutes before deciding it was a fruitless, or at least long search.

Let's hear it for Google's SketchUp! I drew up this model as a replacement. It's pretty darn close to the original, but not exact. Some of my friends at PumpingStationOne.org have 3D printers, so I'm going to try to print this little guy.

If anyone's interested in printing it before I get to it, go ahead. I uploaded it to Thingiverse. It's free to use or modify, but not to sell.

I'd like to know what other receivers use this part exactly, so I can post that information. I'm pretty sure there are more than 3 models this would fit.

Also, if there were any design modification suggestions, I could probably make this part better. For example, it's rather hard to get the lamp boards in and out 'cause there's not much room.

Thanks!

Dan

Attachments

• 2250lamp_housing.png
    2250lamp_housing.png
    35.7 KB · Views: 76
I had the same problem with the shield on my 2265b - different part number though. Mine fell apart when changing lamps. A fellow on EBay a few years ago was selling much sturdier looking replacements but haven't seen them in quite a while. If you find someone that can fabricate these please post it as I'm sure almost every unit from the 70's is just as fragile.
Doug

I hate those things. I need a replacement for a 2325 and I think it's going to be very hard to find, maybe impossible.
Only Marantz seems to have had this problem since I haven't run into it on Sansui, Pioneer or Yamaha.

I had the same problem with the shield on my 2265b - different part number though. Mine fell apart when changing lamps. A fellow on EBay a few years ago was selling much sturdier looking replacements but haven't seen them in quite a while.
Huh. I guess there's not that much demand, eh? That's tells me that printing one yourself is probably the way to go.
If you find someone that can fabricate these please post it as I'm sure almost every unit from the 70's is just as fragile.
Doug

There are a couple companies that will print parts for a fee, but I've not looked into that yet. For example:
http://www.ponoko.com/
http://www.shapeways.com
http://i.materialise.com/

The printer my friend has is nowhere near the sophistication of those sites. BTW, the model is not yet printable... there are errors that need fixing. Hopefully I'll get to that Wednseday evening.

Very interesting!
Let us know how yours turns out. I'll have to take mine out to actually see if it's the same or similar. Very difficult to tell from the 2265b manual - looks similar enough that
just a little tweaking may be all that's needed.
Wow, never knew 3D printing even existed until this thread. Would the resulting piece be as strong as one formed in a mold or however they are normally copied?
Also it seems there is a direct relationship between the amount the receiver is used over the years and the degree of deterioration. A friends who hardly ever uses his looks almost new. I bought mine new in 1977 and use it every day up to 5 or six hours a day and have over its lifetime. Area around the lamps turned brown, is paper thin and literally fell apart when I attempted to replace the lamps. Currently I just taped it up and laid it where it goes which can't be a safe situation but only have one lamp in it just so I can see the dial until I figure out how to replace it.
Doug

I have always found it is easier to go in through the front, and you can change the velum paper at the same time.

I have always found it is easier to go in through the front, and you can change the velum paper at the same time.

Going through the front doesn't necessarily solve the problem with removing the indicator lamps. The wired ones like to adhere to the plastic housing and are hard to remove. I'm surprised I didn't break the housing on my 2225 when trying to replace the stereo indicator. Next time, I'm not prying to hard on anything. If I have to, I'll either cut away or drill through the plastic. That's a much easier fix than replacing the whole housing.

The issue of the lamp housing melting- the tabs break and the lamp board pulls away from the housing causing the bulbs to be parallel to the housing rather than inside it. 2245 and 2270s don't suffer this issue as they have metal housings, should have all been built this way.

The issue of the lamp housing melting- the tabs break and the lamp board pulls away from the housing causing the bulbs to be parallel to the housing rather than inside it. 2245 and 2270s don't suffer this issue as they have metal housings, should have all been built this way.

Tabs have been broken in just about every unit I've seen. If someone made a metal replica I would buy.

Lamps housings

Tabs have been broken in just about every unit I've seen. If someone made a metal replica I would buy.

Hllo,

I am facing the same issues with two receivers I brought back to life. These are 2226 BL and 2238 B.
Did you find a solution since your message.

Thanks a lot

Alain

Back
Top Bottom