Ikea Expedit for record storage - show yours!

Save the boxes. If I had a nickel for every time I said I was done with records on the floor...

For sure. These are pretty heavy duty with lids & handle cut-outs. I put thrift lp's in them before running them through the RCM etc. I'm going to use the 5 x 5 unit for all my Jazz lp's and the 4 x 4 for the Rock, Blues and Soul lp's. What would we do without Expedit's.

Is that the Skandia stuff? We have several of those for books and love them. Had an extra that we used for records for a while, but we outgrew it pretty quickly.

No the Skandia stuff from the Container Store is nicer than the IVAR stuff from Ikea. Here is the Skandia stuff holding up the He-man rig:

attachment.php

Holds around 500, or so.
I built it in a woodworking class I took, some years ago.
Works out well.

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 193
I like the modern industrial. Here's my slice of vinyl heaven.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_9248.jpg
    IMG_9248.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 860
Last edited:
Holy crap, I can't believe how expensive the Skandia shelving from the Container Store is! It looks nice but woah!

Holy crap, I can't believe how expensive the Skandia shelving from the Container Store is! It looks nice but woah!

I agree! When I bought it years ago, it was much more affordable. There were a lot more pieces such as desk tops, corner and extended shelves available too. Ikea's IVAR system is much more affordable but nowhere near as nice.

After reviewing this thread, I visited Ikea (Detroit area suburb) on Saturday and bought a 2X2 Expedit for my meager record collection. It holds about 2/3rds of my collection. Previously I used old Peaches album crates stored in my basement work area. I will eventually buy casters for it.

BasementIkea001_zpsc85b8988.jpg

For my audio/video equipment, I use Ikea's Besta line of storage units.

BasementIkea003_zpse3c494d8.jpg

Excellent! I'm planning on getting some Besta units for the Fisher collection!

Ir may be difficult to see from the photo, but I have a 1/4 inch sheet of plywood, painted black, under the turntable. This allows the turntable to be proud of the front face of the cabinet. I did this to so that the turntable cover can be opened far enough to install and remove the records.

Ir may be difficult to see from the photo, but I have a 1/4 inch sheet of plywood, painted black, under the turntable. This allows the turntable to be proud of the front face of the cabinet. I did this to so that the turntable cover can be opened far enough to install and remove the records.

Mine will be strictly for display, but that's an excellent idea!

In the listening room...

Newly added. Got it off CL for $100 including 5 inserts!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 170
Back
Top Bottom