T+A Audio 1530 amplifier.

JohnVF

Lunatic Member
Listened to some gear tonight. Besides the Kef LS-50s that I previously mentioned, the other standout was form a German company called T+A audio. The T and A stand for something besides what we associate with T & A. Though it's about as nice.

It absolutely destroyed a big, gigantic, vintage Krell amp. I mean, just floored it, showed its heels, and its backside, and ran off laughing. Big open sound, excellent soundstage, no edge, no glare, no grain. Made the big old Krell sound like a grainy shrill 2-dimensional PA amp.

I liked it so much, I might borrow it from the store when I get back from a trip, to compare to some things here. Nothing comes in here anymore unless I can fund at least part of it, so there'd have to be a big improvement, and I'd have to sell a bunch of stuff to fund it. It would be a shootout with the Pass Aleph 30, which isn't going anywhere (still love that amp, and I actually doubt the T+A would beat it, but its worth a shot).

Being as I've been very open about how much I love the Aleph, why chase something else? Well, because I want a higher power option (as opposed to replacement) for when the mood strikes, that's all. I have that with the Accuphase I'm using, but that's here not to be cutting edge, but for convenience and looks. I have too many motives here!

Basically, speakers are dictating my amp choice. And they like more power than my taste in amps leans. So a conundrum. Or at least, a curiosity.

Made the big old Krell sound like a grainy shrill 2-dimensional PA amp.

Gotta do it, John - this is easily one of the funniest anecdotes I've ever read in the sacred annals of high-end audio:

http://www.high-endaudio.com/RC-Amplifiers.html#Mark

So I replied with the best of my modest diplomatic skills: "I hear some good things, but I'm mainly hearing the Krell electronic sound, which I don't like". Then I added (since I was in for a penny, so why not a dollar): "I wish I could hear the speakers with different electronics." Bloom was silent for a few seconds, as his face quickly turned red, and then he shouted at me: "That's bullshit, bullshit! You don't hear any Krell sound because Krell doesn't have a sound!". With the room then so silent you can hear a proverbial pin drop, and with my heart pounding, I calmly replied that "Krell does have a sound. It's dry, gray, lean, electronic and mechanical. I hear it every time, including now, in this system." Bloom shouted "Bullshit!" one more time, put on some music, and left the area to go back into the rear tent, theatrically closing the flap door after he entered.

Salvatore may well be barking mad, but between this tale and his 'correspondence' with Michael Fremer, I laugh long and hard every time I go to that site. High end is doomed as long as it remains the province of testosterone-fuelled dinosaurs, but that's a whole other thread. Thanks for the tip on the T+A.

Yeah, that is a whole other thread - let's not get John started on Salvatore...please...:)

Well, even enemies can unite over a dislike of Krell electronics :). And I merely dislike his attitude. He does tend to have good taste in gear.

Th T+A amps that I'm looking at are demo units. I'm about to go on a trip, hope they're still around when I get back so I can borrow one. It'll be interesting...from my audition in store they just seemed liked the type of gear that would work here.

Might have been this amp and not the 1530...

http://www.avguide.com/review/ta-audio-p-1260-r-preamplifier-and-1560-r-power-amplifier-tas-223

On could come to the conclusion that I like the tube sound without the hassle of tubes...

It had a mixture of what is thought of as tube and solid state. In a good way. I'd guess that here it would be slightly less transparent than the Aleph, but with better low end authority. Just a guess, though.

On could come to the conclusion that I like the tube sound without the hassle of tubes...

And I thought that was the concept behind Nelson Pass' SS designs ? I seem to recall reading something about 'J-FET', but you have the Aleph so I'll hand it back to you, John.

That's what got me into the Aleph 30. And I love that amp. I also love variety, which is my downfall. I really just want to hear this amp here. I wouldn't sell the Aleph but if I like this amp, some decisions would have to be made as I don't want any out of pocket audio expenses right now. And that's tough because I'm down to the good part of my stash. But I'm also realizing the annoyance of having multiple speaker systems in my cloaet so something might give.

Listened to some gear tonight. Besides the Kef LS-50s that I previously mentioned, the other standout was form a German company called T+A audio.

...speakers are dictating my amp choice.

I've auditioned a few T&A pieces and they were on my short-list. I understand why they've left you in a lurch. You may get the same warm-fuzzy from Nelson's newer XA.5 gear? About as good of SS as I've heard. The price of admission is similar to T&A, but would keep Papa in the family. But variety is the spice of life, and one can't ever complain about getting some T&A (and enjoying it night after night). Top notch gear and very fluid sounding.

And yes, once you've gone through all the purchases and gear for sake of owning/wanting it; most everyone will find that...speakers are dictating their amp choice. That's where we find the real magic. Synergy baby.:thmbsp:

It's a shame you can't use the Pass XA60.5 amps. My guess is that they would be just what you are looking for sonically and power-wise, but they're never going to fit in with your aesthetics. Plus the whole stigma associated with owning Pass gear, but that's also another thread.

It's a shame you can't use the Pass XA60.5 amps. My guess is that they would be just what you are looking for sonically and power-wise, but they're never going to fit in with your aesthetics. Plus the whole stigma associated with owning Pass gear, but that's also another thread.

I've never run across any stigma for owning Pass gear. It was originally recommended to me by a friend who's a manager at an audio store.

I'd love Xa-60.5s. I can't afford them. The gear I'm looking at here is only in consideration because I can get it at a fraction of new price.

I think there is agreement among a number of us here who like many of the characteristics of tube sound as well as the best of characteristics of solid state. Probably what drew me in to the sound of the Brio-R. A budget version of that sound designed by a self confessed tube addict in Terry Bateman. He is a prominent member of a Leak club or group and a huge fan of those amps.

http://the-ear.net/features/terry-bateman-tells-story-rega-brio-r

Nice link Art, thanks. I love the Brio-r after only a very very short listen. The tube/solid state debate is of little consequence to me anymore...I can find the sound I want in solid state. The Aleph 30 to me sounds like a very nice modern tube amplifier.

Absolutely agree, John. I like to listen to good sounding amps and I couldn't care less whether it's tube or solid state. There is much to love from both.

I just sold a thrift score for a very nice profit so I might be able to seriously consider this (or the little Kefs I auditioned with it).

I've never run across any stigma for owning Pass gear. It was originally recommended to me by a friend who's a manager at an audio store.

I should have said Pass Labs gear, I guess. A lot of folks lump Volksamps, First Watt, DIY, Threshold, and a little of everything else in as Pass. Those brands are all well regarded. The XA60.5s are Pass Labs.

I'd love Xa-60.5s. I can't afford them. The gear I'm looking at here is only in consideration because I can get it at a fraction of new price.

As you can with Pass Labs stuff, as well.

I'm hoping to have this amp in in loan this week. I've pretty much figured out how to offset the cost if I get it, so I'm going to at least hear it here.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯ `· .¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>‏

Though it's about as nice.

One has no allegiance to audiophile monogamy, even if it is called T&A... carry on.

Well, because I want a higher power option (as opposed to replacement) for when the mood strikes, that's all.

Basically, speakers are dictating my amp choice. And they like more power than my taste in amps leans. So a conundrum. Or at least, a curiosity.

I would agree, have you considered another Pass amp and is bi-amping an option?

Bloom was silent for a few seconds, as his face quickly turned red, and then he shouted at me: "That's bullshit, bullshit! You don't hear any Krell sound because Krell doesn't have a sound!".

Funny how things work out and perceptions may change. I have owned a number of Israel Blume's endeavors and still do and none of them sound like Krell, that is why they are still around. Israel may be opinionated and socially prickly at times but, I would say, even though he too can be fooled, he has a very good ear and as a designer/engineer is more than qualified at what he does. Coincident Technologies rank as one of my top choices, I must own a pair of 211 Dragons at some point.

:beatnik:

It's really not that complicated. I heard an amp, and I really really liked what I heard from it. So I want to audition it. I certainly could look for another Pass amp, but I already love the one that I have. I'm not looking for an improvement over what I have, I just want another option that has more power. I really don't care who makes it, as long as I like the sound, and I know that I like the sound of the TA amp already. The Pass stuff I've seen was way out of my price range, this amp I can get for about 1/3 of new price.

A little more info: I don't want to bi-amp. I hate complexity. Also, I want something that can live in my audio cabinet and not have to sit in the middle of the floor on an amp stand, so it has to be relatively compact.

I'm not even actively looking for an amp. I just happened upon this, and really liked it. I normally don't think one way or another about random 150wpc Class A/B amps.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯ `· .¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>‏

I understand. There is nothing wrong with different flavors when it comes to amps as well. More than any other component, I could easily wind up with several power amps, how about you? It will be interesting to see what your thoughts are of the T&A John.

:beatnik:

Back
Top Bottom