Kenwood KR-3600 for $30?

joshuatx

I've been looking for a vintage 70s era receiver to augment or, more ideally, replace my mid-80s produced Technics SA-929. I basically have too many components (turntable, digital aux, cassette, 8-track, etc) and on top of that the tuner is iffy. So far I've mostly seen 70s units selling no less than $150 with few exceptions.

That said, while browsing CL I came across a Kenwood KR-3600 for $30. It's modest in terms of output and I'm wondering if I should just save up for a bigger model - for example I've seen KR-5030 and KR-5040 in mint selling for $110 and $150 respectively and a Yamaha CR620 for $75. The reason this Kenwood KR-3600 appeals to me is because I rarely see any 60s/70s era components of any brand in Austin for sale at local thrift stores, GWs, garage or estate sales and when I do they are often inflated prices.

So basically - it a good deal on a good little receiver not worth passing or should I save a few more twenties and wait for a more versatile vintage receiver?

http://austin.craigslist.org/ele/3481121022.html

Austin IS a tough market for this- lots of people in the area into the same kinds of stuff means it doesn't stick around long and prices are a bit higher here generally than other places. You have to be persistent and ready to move quickly to "scroe" good stuff around here. I've been very lucky but I've also missed some great stuff by inches.

Austin IS a tough market for this- lots of people in the area into the same kinds of stuff means it doesn't stick around long and prices are a bit higher here generally than other places. You have to be persistent and ready to move quickly to "scroe" good stuff around here. I've been very lucky but I've also missed some great stuff by inches.

Sounds like where I live. You have to be prepared, and act like a hawk. I have the local classifieds on my phone, and I browse it constantly as well when I get a chance on a PC. You just never know. That coupled with knowledge and research on different brands and their model lineups allows me to make a move when I need to.

Looks like its sold now.

lol, yep. I bet it was sold long before I emailed him this morning, I saw a Kenwood KR-2400 as well ($20 but w/ issues) and that seller told me he forgot to delete it over the holidays. I'm glad to hear I'm not crazy about the local market, I actually consider that Technics SA-929 a score because it's the one of the receivers I've even seen at a GW. Dual tape decks and cheap multi-stereos abound though.

I found this one in the meantime, going to research the ones on this list:

http://austin.craigslist.org/ele/3485368058.html

RECIEVERS:
PIONEER SX-3700 $75
YAMAHA RX-V470 $75
HARMAN KARDAN 330 $60
MARANTZ 4270 $350
PIONEER SX1500TD $100
MARANTZ SR6000 $150
MARANTZ 2275 $350
YAMAHA RX-V850 $75
MARANTZ 2226B $150
MARANTZ 2215B $100
SONY STR-4800SD $75

TUNERS:
JVC T-X1 $40
TECHNICS ST-8077 $50
TECHNICS ST-S78 $40
PIONEER TX-520 $75

AMPS:
PIONEER QL-800A 4 CHANNEL DECODER $75
BRYSON 1B PREAMP $300
ONKYO M-501 $150
BRYSON 3B AMP $200 AS IS NOT WORKING
TECHNICS SU-G75 $50
PIONEER SA-6500 $75
PIONEER M-770 $50
ONKYO R1 PREAMP $100

I called the guy about the ad in the previous post less than an hour after posted and the marantz 2275 was already spoken for.

I called the guy the day ad came out, and also inquired about 2275..could have had it, but was leaving town, and did not have time to drive to Waco. Had wood cabinet too. Snooze you lose!

I see this is quite an old thread, I was curious about KR-3600, I just found one for $50, is that a good deal? It is in very good condition, the cabinet doesn’t have any scratches and all of the lights work as well as all of the functions. I was also wondering about using 4ohm speakers with it, I know that most 70s receivers were mostly 8ohm. I have a 1977 Sansui 9090db that I am going to recap and get going again but in the meantime, I have a Sony stereo receiver that my mother bought just for something for her and my dad to listen to in their livingroom, back in the late 90, it is rated at a 100wpc but it is the weakest 100wpc, I have ever heard. I’m running a pair of M&K SB-1 satellites with a MK250 sub. Would this Kenwood be better than the Sony or would it be just about a wash and a waste of time. When I had the Sansui 9090db driving the M&Ks, that was incredible, I still marvel at how the M&Ks could handle the power and seemed to just sound better and better.

The back of the 3600 show 4-16 ohms so it should do just fine with 4 Ohm speakers as most 70s gear will. May well sound better than a 90s receiver of high rating and little guts.

Back
Top Bottom