How many of you built Heathkits?

I did with my Dad, along with many a Lafayette project, too.

My first project was a Morse code key and oscillator, I think I was 7 or 8, and was taught how to use the soldering iron. From then on I was the chief solderer for Dad throughout the late '60s up till the late '70s when I wasn't able to spend time building with him any longer.

My favorite project that we built was a Heathkit AR1500A. I gave it to my eldest son a few years ago and he uses it as his daily Stereo. :thmbsp:

My least favorite was this diabolical "Smart" TV that was a complete nightmare and never did work. I helped on and off with that disaster in the '80's trying to trouble shoot it and double check Dad's work. It was the most over complicated electronic device he ever built. GR-2000? It was in a HUGE wooden cabinet. All sorts of IC's in it. Horrible...:thumbsdn:

I still have and use our irons...:tears:

Built a Knight "Space Spanner" and a T-60 transmitter...both of which I still have. Only Heathkit I ever had contact with was completing about 90% of a 25" color TV for a guy who quickly realized he'd bitten off more than he could chew.:) Good TV, too.

1967....11 years old.....GR-54 shortwave rcvr. Still using it. Original tubes and all.

I have never built an amp from a kit. I did scratch builds only, starting at 13 years old. I cannibalized power transformers and main filter caps from old music consoles and tube radios. A local electronic parts store offered a student discount, and that helped a lot with buying parts. I bought chassis material from a shop that made aluminum duct work and gutters.

Just found this thread, I remember sitting on a stool in the garage watching my Dad build a complete separate stereo system, PT1 tuner, SP2 preamp (I think) EL34 powered amplifier, speakers an a record changer in about 1962, I built and still use the 5 channel equalizer, timing light/dwell meter and a couple other doo dads. Wish they were still around.

Just found this thread, I remember sitting on a stool in the garage watching my Dad build a complete separate stereo system, PT1 tuner, SP2 preamp (I think) EL34 powered amplifier, speakers an a record changer in about 1962, I built and still use the 5 channel equalizer, timing light/dwell meter and a couple other doo dads. Wish they were still around.

I still have the Timing/dwell/voltmeter we built, one of many things that were distributed to me and my 2 brothers by Dad over 3 decades.

My younger brother really got the motherload, though, a pair of AS-1373's, another pair of weird 3 ways (found a picture on the net, here) and the Quad system me and Dad built. I don't know what happened to the TV's and Ham stuff.

I still have the first Heathkit I built, an HD-1410 keyer. I then did a DX-60B transmitter, a Morse oscillator and a 1680 receiver. Talk about bringing back memories...

I built an AR1500A way back in '74. I modified the amp output from quasi complementary to full complementary. It doesn't seem to be the least bit concerned driving the fairly reactive 5 ohm impedence of my Polk speakers either.

Built a Heathkit A 9C amp in 1956. Coupled it with a homemade base reflex cabinet with an Electro Voice Sp 12b and a Collaro changer with a GE magnetic cartridge. At age 16, I thought I had reached audio nirvana...... At age 73, I may have reached it with my present system, but aint sure I can hear it.......

Ole 10ear

Lots of kits....really miss Heathkit

Built 9 Heathkits. Two different automotive test units, circuit prototyping bench, DVM, 'scope, quad amplifier, tuner, capacitor/choke tester and sine/square wave generator. Totally enjoyed my time and learned a lot.

As they say "those were the good old days"

I built an AR1500A way back in '74. I modified the amp output from quasi complementary to full complementary. It doesn't seem to be the least bit concerned driving the fairly reactive 5 ohm impedence of my Polk speakers either.

My son still uses the one my Dad and I built in the early/mid 70's. He drives 2 pair of speakers with it, no blips yet!

It's really amazing to me. :banana:

Our first color TV was a Heathkit my dad built, as was my first amp (tubes). Just bought a AA-1506 Modulus 60 W power amp on eBay to replace the one I built years ago. Lots of good memories. I still have his VTVM.

Last edited:
I see on ebay someone is selling a pair of Heathkit mono blocks for a lot of money. Seems like more dollars than for a pair of Dyna Mk IIIs too. Looks like they have a choke in their power supplies. Wish I knew more about them, not that I would buy them for that kind of money.

Back
Top Bottom