CR-2040 pop when turned off ONLY, not on turn on.

Had the same problem with a Kenwood KR-7050 last month and it turned out to be the speaker relay.

The load (resistance?) I am trying to duplicate with resistors is: 5 series pairs of bulbs (each is 14v 80ma) in parallel attached to a 28V DC source. I also understand you can't measure the resistance of a bulb when it's off. Help.

Last edited:
I am planning on trying a 20ohm 20Watt wire wound load resistor in parallel with my string of LEDs. I am hoping 20 Watt is a high enough power rating.

The load (resistance?) I am trying to duplicate with resistors is: 5 series pairs of bulbs (each is 14v 80ma) in parallel attached to a 28V DC source. I also understand you can't measure the resistance of a bulb when it's off. Help.

Use ohms law, R = V/R. Measure the voltage drop and the current of the bulb and you can figure out the resistance when on.

with your original lamps in circuit measure the current draw either directly with an ammeter or over a known resistor then work out the extra load necessary for the circuits to work ..
or just stick with the proper lamps .. you wont be saving the planet much by using led lamps .:D

Measured bulbs cause a voltage drop of 26.7V to 23.8V drop of 2.9V. Current (assuming I measure properly) is .22mA. Still not sure how to calculate resistor value and power rating.

Just the resistance of the bulbs I'm trying to replace with resistors.

Last edited:
If I wanted just approach this in terms of SAFE experimentation, with the idea of using the smallest load that will drain off excess current at shutdown. Where could I start in terms of resistors and what steps could I test?

Connecting the five pairs of bulbs fixed the POP!!!!!!! I admit I was a little skeptical since I have had a variety of xx40 Yamaha Receivers with no functional bulbs and no pop, but this worked. I would like to replace the bulbs with LEDs. So I am now wondering what components I can substitute for the bulbs (resistors?) to dissipate this charge. Thanks for everyone's help so far.
Yes I can attest I had the same experience.

Back
Top Bottom