Shawshank Redemption

qdrone

Music is my mistress
Is this the most liked movie in cinema history? I have never met anyone who did not like this film. I either get I liked it or yeah that was a good movie. I'm not saying most loved but maybe the most accepted?

Leonard Maltin: “Widely praised film is well crafted but terribly overlong, and hollow and predictable.”

I think it's a great movie. The escape scene by Andy, OTOH, is very claustrophobia-inducing to me.

Is this the most liked movie in cinema history? I have never met anyone who did not like this film. I either get I liked it or yeah that was a good movie. I'm not saying most loved but maybe the most accepted?

Hello my name is robert and I do not like this film. I find all prison films to boring and slow, with the exception of "Stalag 17".

I liked the movie. A lot of the movie including the prison was filmed in Mansfield Ohio. You can take a tour of the prison which is very interesting.

While it is not in my personal Pantheon, I found it appealing. So yes, I liked it.

Great Film....

Often overlooked is Clancy Brown - he played Captain Hadley, the psycho guard that got his kicks beating prisoners to death. Very versatile and excellent actor - he also played 'The Kurgan' in "Highlander"... That's the most memorable thing about Shawshank - may have been long all but it had excellent performances.

Good movie. Own it on DVD. Watched it again recently and still liked it.
The Green Mile is my favorite prison movie. (not that I am a prison movie fan)

Often overlooked is Clancy Brown - he played Captain Hadley, the psycho guard that got his kicks beating prisoners to death. Very versatile and excellent actor - he also played 'The Kurgan' in "Highlander"... That's the most memorable thing about Shawshank - may have been long all but it had excellent performances.

Was also the psycho inmate (Viking) in the Sean Penn 1970-ish juvenile prison movie "Bad Boys."

Was also the psycho inmate (Viking) in the Sean Penn 1970-ish juvenile prison movie "Bad Boys."

I think that's an underrated movie for sure but 1970-ish? His first movie was 1981 or 1982. He had his Little House on the Prairie thing but his first films were in the 80s.

Loved the movie, lived the novella. I'm not always a huge fan of Tim Robbins but I think he was just about perfect in Shawshank.

A prison movie that I think is somewhat under appreciated is Papillon with McQueen and Hoffman.

Don't be dissin' the Kurgan ...

or Meacham (the preacher) in Cowboys and Aliens ...

Clancy is quite cool- and very prolific!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000317/?ref_=tt_cl_t5

Two thoughts ....

The movie has one of the worst titles (from a marketing perspective) in movie history and became popular over a very long period of time by positive word of mouth.

Also, the ending of this movie, IMHO, is one of the most feel good and peaceful endings in movie history.

I like the movie now, but was not that impressed with it the first time I watched it on DVD.

Cheers, Snade

Back
Top Bottom