StevenZ's Omega 7 Alnico build

StevenZ

Texas or nothin'
Hey folks, just thought I'd start a thread in anticipation of the arrival for my new Omega 7" Alnico drivers. I placed the order earlier this morning and was told that they will ship tomorrow. I'm looking forward to hearing this driver with my tube setup and diving back into the wonderful world of fullrange drivers without crossovers. This is my first alnico driver ever so I am incredibly excited. :banana:

Here is a direct link to the driver on Louis' website. http://www.omegaspeakercomponents.com/7a.html

Cabinet plans will be forwarded shortly and as soon as I receive them I will begin cutting and/or assembling. Stay tuned folks.

Cheers,
Steven

P.S. - As always, the best crossover is no crossover. :D

P.S. - As always, the best crossover is no crossover. :D[/QUOTE]

Seems we heard this before. :D Welcome back to fullrange single drivers. :thmbsp:

What kind of cabs and alignment?

:lurk:

Mark

Back in the saddle again.

The enclosure will be a floor standing bass reflex of about 47 liters. Will update more once Louis sends the plans. Already giddy with excitement for this new build. Stay tuned.

What happened with the Fusion-12 Tempests? Are they on hold (or is this a supplemental project?)?

Tell us more about this interesting driver and what brought it to your attention. I'm all ears.

Well, I called Louis (owner of Omega) and talked with him a while. We talked about different drivers, designs, applications, yada yada yada and at the end of the conversation I was convinced I wanted to do business with him. So we ended the call so I could mull it over for a while about which driver I wanted to use. Sure I could have gotten his 5" ferrite, or his 7" ferrite, but something was pulling me towards the Alnico.

So I called him back a few days later and let him know I'd like the Alnico drivers. He seemed surprised that I was going straight for his top tier drivers and assured me that I will love them.

This morning I got an email from Louis with a sketch of the cabinet I'm to use for these drivers along with a few recommendations for internal wiring, binding posts, porting, etc. He also let me know that the drivers will be shipping today and I'm looking forward to getting the email confirmation so I can anxiously track the package.

On this speaker I'm hoping to go "all out" with build materials and all that such. I've got my eye on a nice veneer that I've been wanting to use for a while. Fumed Eucalyptus. It's a gorgeous veneer with chocolate and greenish figuration that looks phenomenal with a nice coat of clear on it.

I'll also be using Jupiter Condenser cotton insulated solid core copper wire for all internal connections. At a later point I will most likely use the solid core for external wiring as well just to make sure there are zero weak links. Binding posts will most likely be Vampire or Cardas.

Other than that, there isn't much to do but wait. Since my plan is to use quality materials it will take me a few weeks to source and fund everything so this project may take a little while longer than all of my previous. I want it done right and won't take any short cuts. Looking forward to this build more than any of my previous.

-Steven

Last edited:
What happened with the Fusion-12 Tempests? Are they on hold (or is this a supplemental project?)?

The Fusion-12 Tempests aren't on hold. Actually they're completed and sounding quite nice. What will happen to them is undetermined. I may end up selling them down the line or I may just relegate them to another setup in another room. Who knows.

As for now, I'm going back to my roots by using a fullrange driver. It's what got me started in this hobby and it's most likely the note I will end on.

-Steven

The Fusion-12 Tempests aren't on hold. Actually they're completed and sounding quite nice. What will happen to them is undetermined. I may end up selling them down the line or I may just relegate them to another setup in another room. Who knows.

As for now, I'm going back to my roots by using a fullrange driver. It's what got me started in this hobby and it's most likely the note I will end on.

-Steven

Thanks for the update. I had been following your Tempest thread and it kind of stopped, with no resolution. I was wondering if you had sorted out the issue you were having and whether or not, ultimately, you were happy with them. Good to see another fullrange thread. I'm more and more interested in fullrange setups but am too chicken to start on a project. I look forward to seeing what you do.

According to tracking, the drivers are due to be delivered today. Super excited! Will post photos when I've got a little time.

Do you have the wood cut yet? ;)

Hahaha, almost. I've got the router programmed but I'm waiting on the MDF to show up. Might move a little slower on this one since life is pretty crazy lately. Will order more parts next week.

Hahaha, almost. I've got the router programmed but I'm waiting on the MDF to show up. Might move a little slower on this one since life is pretty crazy lately. Will order more parts next week.

You got a CNC? If so I'm impressed big time.

Yes, I've got a CNC router. Rather, access to a CNC router. It's a family business that let's me play on it whenever I want. I also get good pricing on MDF and any veneers. ;)

Wow! I'm envious. You might want to consider trying your new FR drivers in OB's with bass support. A CNC will make your cuts in a minute or so and Alpha 15A's are $65 each.

I've considered a setup similar to yours, but to be honest when it comes to fullrange drivers, I believe letting them play all by themselves is going to show me exactly what the drivers is made of, good or bad.

I think if at a later date I feel the need for more bass I'll add a couple of servo subs to help out. I don't have the space for open baffle or H-frames so they're out of the question at the moment. Some time down the line when I've got more room I'll definitely experiment with it though.

The drivers are here!

Well folks, FedEx just showed up and delivered my drivers. They are very nice looking so far. A little smaller than I anticipated but that's okay.

So far the build quality is top tier. Some of the best I've seen, even compared to the high end Seas and SB Acoustics drivers I've dealt with. Right off the bat I can tell the cone is lightweight but rigid. The suspension is very plush, almost as soft as the Mark Audio suspension I've dealt with. The rolled surround feels nice and I'm thankful it isn't sticky like some treated cloths I've used. The frame is nicely made with adequate ventilation, though I'm sure I'll still chamfer the opening to reflect back waves and give it some more breathing room.

Very very happy at the moment. Like I said, this driver oozes quality, as well it should. Omega's drivers are made here in the USA and it shows. Enjoy the pics!

-Steven

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20130920_153619.jpg
    20130920_153619.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 361
  • 20130920_153631.jpg
    20130920_153631.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 356
  • 20130920_153700.jpg