Thorens Td 316

Masterdraco

Hello everyone I have a chance to pick up a thorens td-316 table for a really good price. I know there are some threads here but i would really like some additional opinions comments any info you guys and gals can give. Thank you all and Happy new year. Also i need info where i can get a new walwart for this table as the original one was replaced with an unknown ac adapter.

the 300 serie is a very good serie!
the motor is the best I known by thorens series.the wood chassis have a very low resonnance(more chassis mass than 160 series),brass bearing =low friction and less rumble.the tp21 arm is not so bad and its medium mass(12.5g)accept many types of cartridge(compliance:from 10 to 25µm).the316/318 is one of the best drive-belt thorens turntable after the 520 and in front of 12*/16*/14* series......

Thorens 316

The TD 316 is the low end of the 300 series. As I understand it has a 7MM
spindle bearing with the plastic inner platter. The 318 is the same with auto
shutoff, The 320 has a 10mm spindle bearing with metal inner platter and
auto shutoff.
(The 321 is same as the 320 without tonearm and no auto shutoff.)

Then we get to the mark II and III series which seem to have cheaper
construction as well as different tonearms.

Thanks for the insight everyone. i might pick this table up and give it a spin the plastic inner platter is kind of a surprise. maybe it's made of delrin or a high carbon material. the table does feel heavy and well built. i just wanted to know where it stands in the thorens line up. Anybody currently own and use one of these tables? I will be able to audition it before i buy it.

My only concern is the non stock ac power adapter. I was looking on the bay and coudn't find a thorens 16v ac 150 ma walwart. Anyone have a suggestion for an original replacement adapter?

Thank you frhodes the condition is excellent no scratches or marks on anything. the dustcover has a few but is also in nice shape no cracks or major blemishes. i'd rate it a 9 out of ten condition wise.

I'd love to discuss price and value but don't want to get moved to ds. If i decide i want it the price of a medium grade cartridge is about the cost to me. Also no other parts are missing from this table. I'm not sure if this table will perform better than the six turntables i already own though. entries like pioneer philips technics realistic lab 400 harmon kardon t-35 etc. I really want a broadcast quality turntable suck as russco rok fairchild presto gates qrk etc

Td 316

Go get it. You won't be disappointed. I really like the build and simplicity
of the 300 series. (The dustcover alone is worth about $140) The 3 point
leaf springs are marvelous. (be careful if you take it apart you do it
properly so you don't break one of the spring cables)

This is my 320

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    209.4 KB · Views: 61
the 300 serie is a very good serie!
the motor is the best I known by thorens series.the wood chassis have a very low resonnance(more chassis mass than 160 series),brass bearing =low friction and less rumble.the tp21 arm is not so bad and its medium mass(12.5g)accept many types of cartridge(compliance:from 10 to 25µm).the316/318 is one of the best drive-belt thorens turntable after the 520 and in front of 12*/16*/14* series......

Agreed on its strong points, but I disagree about it besting a 160.

I have both and I like both!
the 316 is heavier 24/16lb because the massive deck(mdf).I find the isolation a little bit better and I think the 300 serie less sensitive to the vibrations.but the 160(especially the mk1) is unbeatable (specially with M75/91 shure cartridge)for rock music!
nb:in my humble opinion the tp16mkII with the tp62/63 headshell is less good than the tp16 mkI .

Back
Top Bottom