Late 1980's/Early 90's Made in Japan CD Changers

Moby2

What do you all think of Made in Japan Onkyo, Sony (non ES) and Yamaha CD Changers from 1987-1993 sound and build quality wise? How would they compare to a new Onkyo DX-C390? I just bought a new Onkyo DX-C390 (will be delivered soon) and with the lack of CD changers available in the new and used (in excellent condition) market, I'd like to have an decent sounding backup just in case my new Onkyo doesn't last.

I find em all the time at GW for $9 or $10 the few I've flipped worked fine.Those brands all are fine performing units.

Marantz

Marantz made units in Japan during that time period. Good sounding CD players. I still have my Marantz CD-72 in my attic system.

Last edited:
I like the top loading (like a turn table) changers where you could change the CDs while one was playing. Was it Sony or Technics that made those?

Not a top loader, but I have a Technics 5 disk unit here ATM, it will allow you to eject the draw, let you swap any of the 4 not in play disks while it keeps playing the loaded one.

Sound pretty nice, a warm sounding thing.

The Pioneer magazine units of the time are excellent, and I still have my original player. No need for belts yet (or work)....

What do you all think of Made in Japan Onkyo, Sony (non ES) and Yamaha CD Changers from 1987-1993 sound and build quality wise? How would they compare to a new Onkyo DX-C390? I just bought a new Onkyo DX-C390 (will be delivered soon) and with the lack of CD changers available in the new and used (in excellent condition) market, I'd like to have an decent sounding backup just in case my new Onkyo doesn't last.

Other than CAL (California Audio Labs), weren't they ALL made in Japan? Even the guts of the all American McIntosh was marked "Made in Japan".

Even Japanese brands in the 70's would out source to various other countries, for some models/gear.

There was a thread on AK last year? regarding this, with links to specifics on it.

OP: Have you had any time to check in with the Onkyo disc changer you bought? I have been considering swapping my Marantz CC4001 for it but I'm a bit scared off by the owner reports on Amazon and elsewhere that speak of this unit's tendency to simply "shut off" while playing and mysteriously turn itself on out of nowhere...:no:

I have two Kenwood CDPs from 1985 & 1986. A Pioneer Magazine from 1986 and a Technics from 1987. They are outstanding players. IMHO, those early CDPs are unbeatable for the money. All Made In Japan

Quite a few years ago I had a Nakamichi changer that used a magazine like the Pioneer player. It also had a single tray that was the size of the magazine. Was a multi bit machine, and sounded pretty decent. I think it would be worth trying to find one of the Nak changers.

Regards
Mister Pig

Why non es Sony? I have 3 es changers 2x c75es and a c67es non cost more than 25 dollars at estate or thrift. Great players

Never had a Sony ES myself, my player if I'm using it is a Marantz CD-65 that sounded nice stock, I replaced the output caps with Mundorf silver & oils, and It's even nicer now.

I have a sony cdp-990 that I think sounds great. compared to my cdp-x555es, the difference is less than apparent, and the 990 at least has a laser unit that is still available (kss-240a) rather than one that is an impossible dream (kss-271a).

I luv the convenience of the draw style cd players. Moby I have a couple of Sony's, a Sherwood, a Yamaha and by far the Marantz CC4001 or SE version have the best sound. Have one of each of the Marantz's, all day listening. I have only one really crappy Sony, CDP-C305 sounds awful where as the 335 model is great.

I had an Onkyo Integra DX-788F. It was really well built. I enjoyed it for the time I had it.

I have two Kenwood CDPs from 1985 & 1986. A Pioneer Magazine from 1986 and a Technics from 1987. They are outstanding players. IMHO, those early CDPs are unbeatable for the money. All Made In Japan

I had a Kenwood CD changer before they were putting digital outputs on them, LOL...I had a lot of Kenwood stuff, even integrated amps that I used when I DJ'ed! They were rock solid...

Great brand that unfortunately is doing only car audio now; though their car stereo stuff is awesome too...

OP: Have you had any time to check in with the Onkyo disc changer you bought? I have been considering swapping my Marantz CC4001 for it but I'm a bit scared off by the owner reports on Amazon and elsewhere that speak of this unit's tendency to simply "shut off" while playing and mysteriously turn itself on out of nowhere...:no:

I used it today for the first time and it sounds very good using analog outputs (better using digital coaxial connected to my Harman Kardon AVR 630 receiver) and works well as a transport.

The Sony ES changers were awesome, but changers in general just don't work for me- I can't get past the compromise mentality even though I know they test and sound just as good as single machines.

I have a bunch of Sony changers kicking around in secondary systems and they all work flawlessly, especially the one ES model. It definitely sounds better than the standard issue and looks much nicer, better build. I've made a habit of nabbing them when they turn up at thrifts and having a few on hand as back-up. At $5-10 a pop it isn't a big investment. The only thing is I've yet to have one show even the slightest hint of failing. I don't use a changer for any of my more critical set-ups, but they can be handy for background listening and in truth sounds as good as any of the other cheaper players.

Back
Top Bottom