Audio Karma Glossary

Got a new one to counter an entry made by the OP.

The OP's entry was BPC, black plastic "crap"

This would be MUCH better defined as BFPAG, black face plated AWESOME gear. 90s and later ss gear that looks much nicer and sounds much better than the crappy looking and sounding ss gear of the 70s and 80s. A very elegant semi gloss black face plate with a minimum of controls. For an integrated amp or stand alone preamp, the ideal face plate would contain a power switch, source/function/input selector switch, volume control, variable loudness control and a mini LED power indicator. For a receiver, just add a tuner display and controls.

Instead of griping about it, why don't you buy a BFPAG?

Instead of griping about it, why don't you buy a BFPAG?

I already have 2 pieces of BFPAG. Disc player and receiver (in signature). It was a simple matter of venting. I don't mind being in the minority when it comes to personal taste. I am very used to that. Where ever I go, what I have, like, want, etc is the least popular thing going and I am a very unique person. All of this is fine and dandy. All I ask is that if anyone prefers something else, just say, "I prefer this over that" whatever this and that may be. There is no need to say things like, "(insert object of choice) sucks." or refer to something as garbage. I've tested the waters and the same people who shamelessly bash what others like don't handle turnabout well at all. The key is mutual respect. Don't dish it out if you can't take it. :nono: That's what I have been trying to get across to the bashing, disrespectful types. They know who they are. Do you think I'm being unreasonable gvalent?

I already have 2 pieces of BFPAG. Disc player and receiver (in signature). It was a simple matter of venting. I don't mind being in the minority when it comes to personal taste. I am very used to that. Where ever I go, what I have, like, want, etc is the least popular thing going and I am a very unique person. All of this is fine and dandy. All I ask is that if anyone prefers something else, just say, "I prefer this over that" whatever this and that may be. There is no need to say things like, "(insert object of choice) sucks." or refer to something as garbage. I've tested the waters and the same people who shamelessly bash what others like don't handle turnabout well at all. The key is mutual respect. Don't dish it out if you can't take it. :nono: That's what I have been trying to get across to the bashing, disrespectful types. They know who they are. Do you think I'm being unreasonable gvalent?

First off, I like both vintage and modern gear and I'm not at all offended by your somewhat rude and totally ill conceived rant.

I looked up your receiver on the net. It doesn't meet your own definition of so called "BFPAG".

"A very elegant semi gloss black face plate with a minimum of controls. For an integrated amp or stand alone preamp, the ideal face plate would contain a power switch, source/function/input selector switch, volume control, variable loudness control and a mini LED power indicator. For a receiver, just add a tuner display and controls."

"Minimum of controls"? - You have 27 buttons & knobs on your face plate.
"Elegant"? - looks like any of dozens of black faced receivers made over the last two decades.

I've got a well regarded late '70s TOL silver faced receiver in my office. I think it sounds great. It has fewer knobs and switches than your receiver and I think it really does look elegant.

FWIW my main systems pre-amp face plate has a power button, selection switch & volume control. Oh.. and a single LED power light. Which makes this an absolutely awesome piece, right?

Last edited:
"A very elegant semi gloss black face plate with a minimum of controls. For an integrated amp or stand alone preamp, the ideal face plate would contain a power switch, source/function/input selector switch, volume control, variable loudness control and a mini LED power indicator. For a receiver, just add a tuner display and controls."

That's my definition of "ideal". No where did I claim that my receiver fits this definition to a T. It's flat black, not semi gloss and it has more controls than I require. It does however, have a lot less controls than a lot of vintage pieces. In addition, the controls it does have are a lot more discrete visually speaking than the huge knobs and switches of the earlier gear. Also, one must look at what the controls of each unit are for. On mine, there is a channel balance for left, right and sub, pure direct and zone 2 and 3 controls. On older units, there are all sorts of filters and things that directly impose character, color and veils on the signal.

More to the point though, is that my first post in this thread is directed at people who bash modern gear. You stated that you like both vintage and modern gear. Therefore, you shouldn't be guilty of bashing either. Correct? So, the post wasn't directed at you which brings up the question, why do you feel the need to get all defensive when the post has nothing to do with you?

Scroe is more than score misspelled.

It has entered the lexicon of American, if not international, parlance as a dream trip to GW or SA!

These acronyms have been instituted into our collective conscousness as well. :yes:

Did I miss it? SWMBO = "She Who Must Be Obeyed"

That cleartext comes to me eventually, but after Single White Male w/ Body Odor... :(

Here are some more, referring to phono cartridges:

MM - Moving Magnet - a cartridge design where the magnet is attached to the cantilever and moves with the stylus, while the coils are fixed in place.
MC - Moving Coil - a cartridge design where the coils are attached to the cantilever and move with the stylus, while the magnets are fixed in place.
MM cartridges are the most common type, usually with replaceable styli - actually assemblies of stylus, cantilever, and magnet.
MC cartridges do not have user-replaceable styli, because removing the stylus/cantilever/coil assembly would break the tiny coil wires.
MI - Moving Iron - a cartridge design where both magnets and coils are fixed in place and a stylus/cantilever/iron assembly moves.
HOMC - High Output Moving Coil - MC with output above 1 mV, enough to drive a typical MM phono section without a step-up device.
LOMC - Low Output Moving Coil - MC with output below 1 mV, requiring a step-up device to be used with typical MM phono sections.
step-up device - an amplifier or transformer that goes between the cartridge and a typical MM phono section - either a head amp, or SUT
head amp or pre-preamp (PPA) - an active (powered) amplifier for LOMC cartridges, enabling their use with a typical MM phono section, often battery powered
SUT - Step-Up Transformer - a transformer used to increase the voltage of a LOMC cartridge passively, without powered amplification

Also:

TVC - Transformer Volume Control - an attenuator built without resistors or potentiometers, by using a step-down transformer with multiple taps, one for each desired volume setting. Also refers to a passive preamp combining source selection with TVC attenuation.

EQ - EQualization - the intentional alteration of frequency response. The most typical EQ are tone controls. Fancier equalizers used as tone controls have multiple bands ("graphic" equalizers, where the slider positions draw a crude frequency response graph), or are parametric, with center, width, and height controls for one or more user-configurable bands. All phono preamps have an equalization circuit built in, to attenuate the (pre-boosted) treble and boost the (pre-attenuated) bass used of necessity when cutting the record masters. This usage of equalization may be the origin of the term - to make the bass and treble equal again.
RIAA Curve - before being known for lawsuits, the RIAA (Record Industry Association of America) was best known for standardizing record EQ between manufacturers with the "RIAA curve". All phono preamps implement the inverse of the RIAA curve as an essential part of their functionality.

:music:

ROIO: Recording of Independent Origin

- a term that occurs frequently @ discussions of "live" recordings posted in our Music foums.

BFM = Bibles For Missions a chain of thrift stores here in Ontario, Canada. (I don't know if they are in the states or other provinces) I scored a Technics cassette deck there for $5 a month ago.

from FRANCE,I often see "thmbsp",but I don't know what it means!
thanks for the information!

Here on AK it probably means "thumbs up" as in well done! Or a positive greeting. Also, in the old software, it was a shortcut used to give a smilie, as in :thmbsp which would give :thumbsup:. The new software gives that smilie directly.

Back
Top Bottom