Harbeth Monitor 40.2

Pretty healthy price increase too. If you are anywhere near NYC there is a mint (less than 6 months old) pair in rosewood on Agon for a great price. Seller is one of the moderators on AS and is keeping his SF Strads.

What's the new US list price for them?

I would like to hear them...the 40.1 was in my running a few years back and the .2 might fix some things that pushed them off the final round for me.

Apparently went from $16,000 to $19,000.

The 40.1 was one of the best speakers I've heard; even assuming the 40.2 is a lot better, the price is getting up into the range where there's a lot of competition.

I prefer the AN E/LX ($7,880)to the Harbeth 40.1 for sound. The Harbeth I find to be darker/warmer and a bit gentler to worse recording but less open and alive on good recordings.

Part of the problem for me is the price of the Harbeths - $20k is getting serious. But to be fair I am considering a $25k Audio Note E - so if the Harbeth .2 is a considerable improvement I will give them another audition. My amp can probably drive them fairly easily.

Richard

The owner of the pair for sale, also owned the LM219a and felt it had it's limits with the 40.1 due to the efficiency of the Harbeth. He prefered the GAT/ART combo, but of course we are talking a huge price difference there too.

I prefer the AN E/LX ($7,880)to the Harbeth 40.1 for sound. The Harbeth I find to be darker/warmer and a bit gentler to worse recording but less open and alive on good recordings.

Part of the problem for me is the price of the Harbeths - $20k is getting serious. But to be fair I am considering a $25k Audio Note E - so if the Harbeth .2 is a considerable improvement I will give them another audition. My amp can probably drive them fairly easily.

GETTING serious?? Wow, your pay grade is sure higher than mine!

Richard

The owner of the pair for sale, also owned the LM219a and felt it had it's limits with the 40.1 due to the efficiency of the Harbeth. He prefered the GAT/ART combo, but of course we are talking a huge price difference there too.

This is the problem I continually run into with the Harbeth. I like the 40.1 a lot but I would have to pay more than double for the speaker that i am not convinced is better - a kind of side move - but then to get the Harbeths to work you have to pay double or triple for the amplifiers which may be better but then maybe only a sideways move at more power.

Alan Shaw isn't a tube guy - he's stated that more power is always better and that amps for the most part all sound the same.

I agree that I would think my amp would be borderline with Harbeth - 85ish dB senstive 6 ohms - don't know the min impedance. My room is small enough and I could place them away from walls.

I heard some 7 watt 2A3 monoblocks that blew my mind though and basically those have to be crossed completely off the list. But I know a guy with an 8 watt SET who swears by that amp on his Super HL5 and the AN SORO did a great job on them in my audition - so did MSB SS amps (albeit kind of nutty prices).

GETTING serious?? Wow, your pay grade is sure higher than mine!

I was fortunate to land a teaching job in Hong Kong where they pay exceedingly well. The trade-offs are that you live in 700 square foot apartments and it's bloody humid, and bloody crowded and relatively polluted - not bad for Asia but nowhere near as good as Vancouver Island Canada which is where I come from. There simply isn't work in Canada - there are 11 teachers for every 1 full time job so you have to be a sub for many years working 2-3 days a week and of course no work in the summer or Christmas etc so you'd be lucky to earn $25,000 a year in Vancouver (where the average home is over a million dollars) so you will live in poverty as a sub. At my age then 38 I had to explore alternatives and they held job fairs in Ontario, Vancouver and I believe San Francisco and New York.

The interview was quite difficult. A 20 minute timed essay on a choice of three topics. An interview with two principals asking pretty targeted questions and in teaching - when you sub you are not often going to pro-D days to stay up to date as much as a full time teacher - miraculously I said the right buzzwords and got the job. Without it I would never be looking at this kind of gear. As a public servant our pay is listed on the government website so it's not exactly a secret as to what teachers earn here.

http://www.csb.gov.hk/english/admin/pay/42.html

They pay the salary plus $19,000 a month living allowance to cover apartment, phone internet, electricity, gas, etc. You can pocket the difference if you're frugal. Teachers would start here based on their experience in their own country. You must be a qualified teacher and with no experience I believe the start point is 19. 10 years experience they would start at 29 (plus the $19000+ a month living allowance) and they get 5% additional bonus if they sign a second two year contract and another 5% if they sign for a third contract. And a 15% contract completion bonus on the total salary paid over the two years.

I am in my 4th year and each year I have been here we also get an additional 4-6% per year Cost of Living increase. Man in Canada teachers have to strike to get 1% - here the Government has automatic riders based on the prosperity of the private sector and it's a built in calculation - no one strikes because it's fair and it's tough to argue with a cost of living raise.

Further You absolutely don't need a car here - indeed a car will take you longer to get anywhere and be far far more expensive and LESS convenient. I was paying over $500 a month in Canada for a modest car, insurance, gas etc. I pay $2 a day to get to work and back. Maybe $10 on the weekend. That alone allows me to spend on audio because there is nothing else to spend it on.

There is no tax either - in Canada if I buy the $10,000 amp I have to pay PST and GST on it which is something like 12%.

But it's not a place to raise a family IMO - you have to make priorities and in all seriousness - the money HAS to be there or they wouldn't keep people here - living in a small place, more pollution, very crowded, brutal humidity from May through October, are some big drawbacks. I lived in Wenzhou China for a year and I would FAR rather be a homeless man living in a tent on Beautiful Vancouver Island than live as a millionaire in the dirty arse dive of a city. Ones mental and physical well being is ultimately far more important to me. Fortunately Hong Kong is rather good. It's probably the easiest city in Asia for anyone who wants to travel to Asia but is worried they will have a tough time getting around. Virtually everything is in English and virtually everyone speaks and understands English. And it's a great jumping off point to other major Asian countries like Japan, Philippines, South Korea, Thailand which are all I believe under 4 hour flight times.

7800 USD is way out of my league and 18K USD is even more so. Harbeth still hand builds their drivers (mids and LF ones and sources tweeters from SEAS) and I prefer rubber surrounds to foam surrounds, just me.

I can hear Harbeth at David Michael Audio here in Royal Oak, MI. Not so with AN - there are no dealers around here. It would still be nice to hear both.

They do look very well built - http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/harbeth4/1.html pics here for the previous model.

No question there are more Harbeth dealers - this is a great speaker company I just personally feel they're a bit of a lateral move for significantly more money and it's expensive to get a pure class A, no global feedback Single Ended Triode amplifier to drive them. Of course not everyone's priorities are to buy those sorts of amplifiers but IME those are the amps for me and I need a speaker that preferably can be driven by such amplifiers.

AN isn't a big enough company to be blunt. If all they did was sell speakers they might be able to be everywhere - but they pretty much have the whole system approach and not every dealer wants to take that on. Anyway, I don't want to take Art's thread off course as I probably have a bit - I do find the speakers do often get compared though which makes sense aesthetically and I believe the companies are physically fairly close to eachother. Interestingly they both also use SEAS, have lossy cabinets, wide baffles. Add DeVore to the mix. That speaker for me is more suitable because it is less expensive, and it offers even more sensitivity and ease of drive. You can use 3 watts easily.

Most of my favorite speakers are all of these speakers that share these elements of design - add in the superb Trenner and Freidl Ra Box. And with the Harbeth clocking in at an astonishing $19,000 and the Ra Box at over $25,000 and the Devore at something like $13,000 and the AN E running the gambit from $2500 in kit form to $210,000 in lunatic form, it illustrates that that these OLD FAT speakers with supposedly inferior designs (wide baffles is bad didn't you know) still attract enough people with deep pockets.

I know I could be happy with any of these four and indeed these four would probably be the four at the top of my consideration list - the Harbeth is one tier down because it's the least sensitive. If I ever audition a 100 watt amp that I like at a price that I can afford I might be convinced.

Last edited:
My granddaughter taught English in South Korea for one year, a few years ago, and they treated her quite well. They wanted to renew her contract, but she decided to return to the U.S. I am retired and although quite comfortable, I do tend to be conservative with my money because we are Vancouver-like in cost of living here. Enjoy yourself and stay cool!

Am I missing something? The chart says HK dollars aren't equal dollar to dollar to USD. $7 HKD = $1 USD. So ruffly that $103,190 HKD is about $12,000.00 USD or a little more...according to a money converter? Am I wrong here?

Last edited:
Use Oanda currency converter for up to date conversions. http://www.oanda.com/currency/converter/

as of today $12,000 US is $93,014.3 HKD

Point 33 or something is typically the maximum for foreign teachers without a Masters.

59,485 +10% retention bonus ($5948) = 65433 + $19081 (living allowance) = 84514 per month. $10,900US per month if you are a 12 or so year teaching veteran in your own country.

I am Canadian however and so it is very helpful to me when the Canadian dollar tanked 20% - it basically gave me a 20% raise because the HKD and US dollar are somewhat closely tied. When the Canadian dollar went from par with the US to .80 this allows me to send more money home and pay off the student loan much faster. The Canadian dollar can go to .50 anytime it wants!! And I will be a dancing Banana :banana:

My granddaughter taught English in South Korea for one year, a few years ago, and they treated her quite well. They wanted to renew her contract, but she decided to return to the U.S. I am retired and although quite comfortable, I do tend to be conservative with my money because we are Vancouver-like in cost of living here. Enjoy yourself and stay cool!

I taught in Korea for two years. I had a good time outside of the schools - both of which were abysmal - but they were Hogwans which are private schools that are often shady. Indeed, this video your granddaughter might get a kick out of it - all the things here are actually true to the extent that they've happened to someone - not all to one person but I've seen it first hand LOL. Your granddaughter would be the minority of cases if all things went well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chvKPwbZsj0

...and now back to the Harbeth 40.2.

So when do they actually roll out - is it the kind of thing where 40.1 owners can upgrade to 40.2 via driver replacement or is it a completely different cabinet/speaker?

Back
Top Bottom