RWN Neuhaus...anybody know anything about this brand?

Kingfisher

This past week, I bought an old early '60's Norelco radio at an estate sale. The ECC 85 tube found inside it is branded "RWN Neuhaus" but I have never heard of this brand. Does anybody here know anything about the brand or the company?

Attachments

• DSCF0473-2.jpg
    DSCF0473-2.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCF0479.jpg
    DSCF0479.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 32
I know that Norelco makes great electric shavers. Beyond that, it looks like a very nice old tube shortwave radio.

Very nice radio, if that's a halo indicator tube and you plan on keeping the radio, you may want to grab a spare. They are getting a little scarce, esp. if you don't want Rusky. Sorry I can't help you on the tube maker, is the getter a hollow ring or solid? Have you looked very closely for any acid etched numbers near the base?

Very nice radio, if that's a halo indicator tube and you plan on keeping the radio, you may want to grab a spare. They are getting a little scarce, esp. if you don't want Rusky. Sorry I can't help you on the tube maker, is the getter a hollow ring or solid? Have you looked very closely for any acid etched numbers near the base?

The magic eye is an EM80. Fortunately, I have a spare.

The ECC85 has a number "6" on the bottom stamped into the glass. There are no creases in the glass near the top like you typically find a Philips/Telefunken/Mullard tube. No country of origin printed on it either. The getter at the top is just a round ring.

The magic eye is an EM80. Fortunately, I have a spare.

The ECC85 has a number "6" on the bottom stamped into the glass. There are no creases in the glass near the top like you typically find a Philips/Telefunken/Mullard tube. No country of origin printed on it either. The getter at the top is just a round ring.

Looks like my ECC 85 tube is from East Germany.

The company that made it may have originally been part of Telefunken before WWII, but then continued after the war making tubes from 1946-1978.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/dsp_hersteller_detail.cfm?Company_Id=7489

Back
Top Bottom