Classic High-End Gear

Negotiableterms

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Subscriber
This forum is for discussion of leading edge vintage gear, regardless of cost. So, I'd thought I'd start the whole thing off with a list of a few true classic pieces, to illustrate. Each of these units was widely praised as being ahead of its time, and the absolute best at that moment, and many of them were good enough that they're still highly desired and priced accordingly.

Levinson LNP-2 - the unit that started modern high-end audio
Levinson ML-2 - the first super-amp and room heater-in-one
Marantz 10B Tuner
McIntosh MC-275
Audio Research SP-11
Threshold 800A
Bozak Concert Grand
Martin Logan CLS
Infinity IRS-V
Infinity IRS Beta
Technics SP-10 Mk 3
Oracle Delphi

There are a lot more, but note that it's one piece at a time, not a whole manufacturer, as there are very few whole lines where each piece was acclaimed. Feel free to add!

Let the listings by members with experience with this gear begin! This should be a rewarding thread that will lead many to pursue these pieces in their quest for the Cutting edge in the music experience!
Regards,
Jim

Last edited:
I'll add Magnapan's MGIIIa Speakers. The start and TOTL of their 3 way True Ribbon Speakers. Easy to upgrade and improve and a true high end classic! In play on my main rig to this day.
Regards,
Jim

How about:

Stax Quattro II cdp (one of the best original cd players - I have two and I prefer the sound of them over my Oppo BDP 95)

Faroudja DV1000 dvd player (one of the best early dvd players with excellent audio, I have 2)

Acoustat 2+2 speakers (one of the first full range electrostatics that can compete with todays new ones)

Pioneer LD-S2 laserdisc player (best laserdisc picture and audio, it's built like a tank and looks great. I still use mine for concert videos as the audio is better than on dvd's)

Ray Lumley M-100 tube mono Blocks (on my Acoustats they bested Bedini BA-803, Bedini 100/100 1 meg class A, Threshold 400a, Jeff Rowland model 5, Beard P-100 tube amp. These are all very good amps, the Ray Lumley's are just better.)

Last edited:
Would there be a cut-off date to qualify as vintage?
IMO, the HH Scott stereomaster series, particularily the 222C and 299 models deserve at least an honourable mention in this Pantheon of audio goodness.
I have a pair of 222C's in my no f'ing way am I letting these go.

Last edited:
Now we are seeing some great gear!
Regards,
Jim

McIntosh C22- Preamp
McIntosh C100-Preamp
McIntosh MC2300-Power Amp
Jeff Rowland Coherence- Preamp
SME 3009-Tonearm
Rabco SL-8- Tonearm
Thorens TD-125- Turntable
JBL L250-Speaker
SOTA Star Sapphire-Turntable
Thorens TD-124 -Turntable
Michell Transcriptors -Turntable
SME Series V-Tonearm
VPI HW-19 II-Turntable
Orcale Delphi-Turntable

Last edited:
My 2 tube systems will qualify as there amps pushed the evelope for wpc/specs
in there yrs of manufactureing and were the totl from their companies

1955-Fisher 50A mono amplifiers 50 wpc triode {2 paired with Fisher 400c preamp}

1962 HHscott LK-150 70 wpc{paired with hhscott LC-21 preamp}

hunter

Granted quad is an acquired taste, but ... hail to the king! The Sansui QRX-9001 was top of the line and state of the art in quadraphonic development, and certainly more that capable of satisfying most any power hungry afficianados as well ... 2X mode can tickle 200wpc.

Also a purty lil thang ...

completed2.jpg

I figure I put a good hundred hours into the restoration over the span of several months ... and don't regret a minute of it!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom