The official Music score thread

I just scored the MFSL version of Elton John - Madman Across the Water for a $1! Also Stones Hot Rocks and Aftermath SACD's for a buck!

:banana:

Today I scored Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed Half Speed MFSL LP for $1! I paid $15 for a NM Beatles Sgt Peppers black label EMI/Parlaphone too. It's funny how garage sale people charge bucks for the big names but let other stuff go for nuthin'.

$4 at the thrift store: Robert Johnson: The Complete Recordings CD Box set
k2-_63d74399-ffdb-4564-99fb-de583d022938.v1.jpg

Started building my vinyl collection with some classics:

Jethro Tull - Stand up
Genesis - Foxtrot
Porcupine Tree - Voyage 34 (white vinyl) (New, but seal broken)
Mahavishnu Orchestra - The inner mounting flame
Fleetwood Mac -Rumors (Looks like a reissue, it is just to neat.)
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells (in the proverbial dollar-bin, happy days)
Paco de Lucia - Entre dos Auguas

Didn't concern myself to much with which pressing, just wanted to get started. All in quite good condition.

We just had a party in our neighborhood where one of my neighbors comes up to me after seeing my record collection.
The previous owner had left about 200 LP's in their attic and asked if I wanted them since he thought it would be similar to my taste.
Of course, initially, I thought they were going to be your typical goodwill store records.
So I go up into the attic with him and the first record I see is Dead Kennedy's - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables LP.
He then goes on saying if you want them, you have to take all of them. For free, mind you ;)
Needless to say I did.
These are some of the gems I found:

* Burning Spear - Studio One Presents Burning Spear (Coxsone Records)
* Various - Black Slavery Days (Clappers Records - CLPS-1982)
* Hugh Mundell - Africa Must Be Free By 1983 (RAS Records Inc. - RAS 3201)
* Augustus Pablo - Ital Dub (Trojan Records - TRLS 115)
* Operation Ivy - Energy (Lookout! Records - #10)
* The Lillingtons - Death By Television (Panic Button, Lookout! Records - PB275, LK221)

and the list goes on...

Well, today at a charity shop in my town i found some interesting pressings of Hank Williams Jr. and Johnny Cash. These are Taiwan Pressings and what's kind of cool is that they are a see-through red and orange colored vinyl. For 50 cents each i couldn't resist.

Attachments

• 20150921_163440.jpg
    20150921_163440.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20150921_163348.jpg
    20150921_163348.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20150921_163651.jpg
    20150921_163651.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20150921_163834.jpg
    20150921_163834.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 16
I found a yard sale practically on the other side of town today. The guy had some stereo equipment and speakers (which I didn't buy), but he had several boxes of records. I made off with 37 for $20!

Weather Report- Black Market
Bob Dylan- "Another Side of Bob Dylan", "Highway 61 Revisited" and "New Morning"
George Harrison- All Things Must Pass
Adam Ant- Friend Or Foe
Earth, Wind and Fire- Spirit
Dio- The Last In Line
Joni Mitchell- Ladies Of The Canyon
Paul Simon- Still Crazy After All These Years
Dan Fogelberg- Windows and Walls
Alice Cooper- Welcome to My Nightmare
Robert Palmer- Pride
Bruce Springsteen- Tunnel Of Love
John Mayall- Empty Rooms
Port Authority- S/T
Dave Brubeck Quartet-, Paul Desmond Quartet, Cal Tjader- S/T (?)
The Who- Quadrophenia
Herbie Hancock- Headhunters
Taj Mahal- Music Keeps Me Together
George Michael- Faith
Robin Trower- "In City Dreams" and "Bridge of sighs"
Elton John- Here and There
Jethro Tull- "A Passion Play" and "Living In The Past"
Survivor- Eye Of The Tiger
Uriah Heep- Sweet Freedom
Eddie Money- Playing For Keeps
Ted Nugent- Weekend Warriors
Supertramp- Famous Last Words

and my favorite score of the day-

The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band- Will The Circle Be Unbroken

Well it finally happened to me, after reading this thread all these years and wishing one day I'd score some decent records.

Chicago: At Carnegie Hall: Volumes I, II, III, and IV
Chicago Transit Authority
Chicago V, VI, VII
ELO: Time, Out of the blue, A new world record
BTO: Four wheel drive, Not fragile
Boston
Bowie: Changes One
Linda Ronstadt: Prisoner in disguise
Cat Stevens: Buddha and the chocolate box
Meat Loaf: Bat out of hell
Saturday Night Fever
The Association: Greatest hits
Allman Brothers: The road goes on forever
Styx: Pieces of eight
Led Zeppelin: IV, Presence
Earth Wind & Fire: That's the way of the world
Grease soundtrack
More of the Monkees
Bruce Springsteen: Born to run
The Brothers Johnson: Look out for # 1
Melanie: Photograph
Aretha Franklin: Ten years of gold
Debby Boone: You light up my life
Mame: Broadway musical
The Immortal Judy Garland: Over the rainbow and 49 other master-performances (box set)
Solid Gold hits: 50's hits.

Every original lyric sheet, posters, etc are there. No pin holes or tape on the posters and all the records look pristine, save for a few with minor scuffs.

Plus I picked up 4 Sony UX-90 sealed cassette tapes (type II).

Pretty good day for me.

$2.00 buy 1 get 1 free at local Sally Ann a few weeks back.

Stan Getz Charlie Byrd - Jazz Samba 1962 still in shrink wrap.
Junior English - The Dynamic Junior English

001.jpg

We just had a party in our neighborhood where one of my neighbors comes up to me after seeing my record collection.
The previous owner had left about 200 LP's in their attic and asked if I wanted them since he thought it would be similar to my taste.
Of course, initially, I thought they were going to be your typical goodwill store records.
So I go up into the attic with him and the first record I see is Dead Kennedy's - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables LP.
He then goes on saying if you want them, you have to take all of them. For free, mind you ;)
Needless to say I did.
These are some of the gems I found:

* Burning Spear - Studio One Presents Burning Spear (Coxsone Records)
* Various - Black Slavery Days (Clappers Records - CLPS-1982)
* Hugh Mundell - Africa Must Be Free By 1983 (RAS Records Inc. - RAS 3201)
* Augustus Pablo - Ital Dub (Trojan Records - TRLS 115)
* Operation Ivy - Energy (Lookout! Records - #10)
* The Lillingtons - Death By Television (Panic Button, Lookout! Records - PB275, LK221)

and the list goes on...

I have yet to find any huge score of early punk records, you just don't ever find them. Or at least I don't! The best punk records I have are Devo 1984 the year after 1977 bootleg with the cover and The Melvins Sludge Glamorous. I refuse to pay ebay prices, I mostly buy from Jello Biafra's label Alternative Tentacles because you can get a record for $10 or less.

Maybe one day I will hit a good punk collection! I got soul, rock, blues, ect. ect. but no good punk yet.

SRRRRRSLY JELLY.... best friend EVER! nice haul...

I have yet to find any huge score of early punk records, you just don't ever find them. Or at least I don't! The best punk records I have are Devo 1984 the year after 1977 bootleg with the cover and The Melvins Sludge Glamorous. I refuse to pay ebay prices, I mostly buy from Jello Biafra's label Alternative Tentacles because you can get a record for $10 or less.

Maybe one day I will hit a good punk collection! I got soul, rock, blues, ect. ect. but no good punk yet.

SRRRRRSLY JELLY.... best friend EVER! nice haul...
This was my first (free) score ever, I'm sure someday you'll get yours too ;)

This was my first (free) score ever, I'm sure someday you'll get yours too ;)

I have gotten some pretty close to free scores before but never any good punk records. People that have good punk records don't give them away and know what they have normally.

I have gotten some pretty close to free scores before but never any good punk records. People that have good punk records don't give them away and know what they have normally.
That's exactly right. The neighbor had said that the previous owner told him to do whatever he wanted with the records. I find that hard to believe with a record collection like that. He must have been in a dark place I presume.

Not exactly music but this is the only score thread I know of and it is music related. I had to share this score!

I went to an auction not expecting much... boy was I wrong!

I ended up getting about $800 worth of hip hop DJ mix CD's from the early 90's for $17, $200 worth of records for $15, and all of the audio equipment in the pictures below for $2 per item!

I felt like I was in the twilight zone, surrounded by dealers and the only thing they wanted was a computer monitor that they bid up to $16. After that I picked up everything you see off the table for $2 an item, crazy! I got some other stuff as well, about $200+ worth of random stuff like three 15' Swagelok hoses. So about $1600 worth of stuff for $58.

I think I will be using the Soundcraftsmen, very nice equalizer. I wish I still had my Akai tape deck but I sold it, I think I'll use the Technics tape deck till I fin a Pioneer tape deck.

Last edited:
Over the past year, I've had the good luck of rifling through family members' collections. Here's a list of albums I have acquired for less than a dollar apiece:

Alan Parsons Project: I, Robot (Canada, Arista 1977) VG
Ray Charles: Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music (US, ABC 1960's early repress) VG (Shrinkwrapped!)
Cheap Trick: Live at Budokan (US, Epic 1978) VG+
Chubby Checker: Your Twist Party (Ca, Parkway 1960's) VG
Alec R. Constandinos: Romeo & Juliet (Ca, Ibis 1978) NM (50 cent thrift store find)
Thomas Dolby: Blinded By Science EP (Ca, Harvest 1982) VG
The Fall: Hit The North single (UK, Beggars Banquet 1987) NM
Happy Mondays: Pills 'N' Thrills And Bellyaches (UK, Factory 1990) NM (original artwork!)
Harmonium: L'Heptade (Ca, CBS 1976) VG
Isaac Hayes: Shaft (Ca, Stax/GRT 1971) G+
Whitney Houston: Whitney (Ca, Arista 1987) VG (don't judge)
Michael Jackson: Bad (Ca, Epic 1987) G
Michael Jackson: Thriller (Ca, Epic 1982) F (actually in really bad condition, crackles add to it tho)
Billy Joel: Piano Man (US, Columbia 1973) VG
King Crimson: In the Court Of... (US, Atlantic 1969) VG (cover's beat to hell, media sounds great)
Johnny McLaughlin: Electric Guitarist (Europe, Columbia 1978) NM
Ennio Morricone: Good, Bad & Ugly; Duck, You Sucker; Once Upon A Time In The West; My Name Is Nobody (All OG Canadian, All G+, unfortunately)
George Michael: Faith (Ca, Columbia 1987) VG
Pink Floyd: Animals (Europe, Harvest 1977) VG+
Pink Floyd: Atom Heart Mother (Italian, Harvest 1969) G+
The Police: Ghost In Da Machine (Ca, A&M 1981) VG
Elvis Presley: Elvis' Golden Records (US, RCA Stereo Repress 1960's) Dumba$$ cousin cracked it, so first tracks are P, rest is VG
Prince: Purple Rain (US, Warner Bros. 1984) VG+ (with poster!)
Queen: A Night @ The Opera (US, Elektra 1975) G+ (skips at the end of Rhapsody)
The Rolling Stones: Let It Bleed, Goat's Head Soup, Tattoo You (US, all G+ - VG)
Nino Rota: The GAWDfather (Ca, Paramount 1971) G
Supertramp: Crime of the Century (Ca, A&M 1974) VG
V/A: South Pacific (Ca, RCA 1960's Repress) G
The Supremes: Greatest Hits (US, Motown 1967) VG
Donna Summer: Love Trilogy (Ca, Oasis 1976) VG
Sade: Diamond Life (Ca, Portrait 1984) VG
Tina Turner: Private Dancer (Ca, Capitol 1984) VG
Vangelis: L'apocalypse des animaux (Ca, Polydor 1975) VG+ (50 cent thrift store find)

Good Stuff.

Also, a CD

Final Fantasy VII Reunion Tracks (50 cents, 25$ on discogs) NM

Recent score on Halloween weekend visit to a NorCal college town.

Jean-Luc Ponty - Imaginary Voyage (1976)
Jena Luc-Ponty - Enigmatic Ocean (1977)

Spyro Gyra - Morning Dance (1979)
Spyro Gyra - Catching the Sun (1980)
Spyro Gyra - Carnaval (1980)

View media item 5425

Went to a couple antique stores that have records, they must have been picked over a million times. Managed to get a few records, spent $8 all together for the 45s and 33. The auction I found two weeks ago takes place in the same plaza as the stores. There were tuns of 60's Motown, mostly love songs.

The lady said she has more but they have not come out yet, meaning she hasn't sorted them yet.

The best record I found was beat all to hell but it plays way better than it should. I gave it the old blessing while cleaning it, I was preaching like a phony reverend on late night tv. lol I think it worked, try it and let me know if it works for you too. : )
This one is pretty special, I knew that picking it up. I just hoped it was a miracle record that plays great. It is and probably the only reason I got it is because of how bad it looks, the woman clearly does not test them she just assumes it is not sell-able through any other means than a dollar bin. I can tell none of them have been played by her because they all have years of dust. It pays to buy the ones that look like they may play for super cheap and test it.

With as bad as it looks the only defect is that it needs an extra 2 grams force and it has very very faint background noise. Side A has a little crackle in the very beginning but plays almost flawlessly the rest of the time. Neither side has clicking, just very light background noise!

Back
Top Bottom