Sony TA-N86 conundrum

bjarmson

Recently picked up a TA-N86 (with no B, silver-face not grey). Just realized from research on the internet this unit was only sold in Japan. Checking out the back for voltage, noticed the Sony label was cut and removed just after the serial number, so I no voltage information. Has a standard US plug, are the Japanese ones different? Before I noticed the lack of the "B", I hooked it into a system and played 2 CDs (about two hours of play time). It sounded great, didn't blow any fuses or blow up the amp. Is there any way to determine what voltage it's supposed to be using?

Well, if it was on the internet, it must be true...:blah::blah::blah:

http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-TA-N86B.html

If you lift the lid, there might be some notation around the voltage input connections showing voltage requirements. I know that my Kenwood and Sansui multi-voltage units have that data printed on the circuit boards near the fuse/transformer area.

And as usual...:needpics:

Last edited:
ovaeasy, thanks for the suggestion. The issue is not whether the info on the The VintageKnob is true or not. However, it is about the only place where this kind of info can be found. I wish Axel was still upgrading and adding info to the site, but maybe he has a life. What do you need pictures of, the cut Sony tag on the rear of the unit? This is what actually got me wondering whether it might be a Japanese model. The model # and serial # remain, but the voltage info below is gone. Why would one do this except to mask this info? I don't want to destroy a great classic amp when an easy solution is available (voltage transformers/stepdowns are cheap).

Part of the rationale for having a site like Audiokarma is sharing knowledge in order to preserve great old audio equipment like the TA-N86(B). This is supposedly one of the best amps Sony ever made, one can readily see the quality Sony lavished on it. I'd like to keep it that way.

ovaeasy, thanks for the suggestion. The issue is not whether the info on the The VintageKnob is true or not. However, it is about the only place where this kind of info can be found. I wish Axel was still upgrading and adding info to the site, but maybe he has a life. What do you need pictures of, the cut Sony tag on the rear of the unit? This is what actually got me wondering whether it might be a Japanese model. The model # and serial # remain, but the voltage info below is gone. Why would one do this except to mask this info? I don't want to destroy a great classic amp when an easy solution is available (voltage transformers/stepdowns are cheap).

Part of the rationale for having a site like Audiokarma is sharing knowledge in order to preserve great old audio equipment like the TA-N86(B). This is supposedly one of the best amps Sony ever made, one can readily see the quality Sony lavished on it. I'd like to keep it that way.
bjarmson,
Did you figure out the voltage rating on your amp? I just got one of these amps now(not yet delivered, it is being shipped). I noticed that it has 220-240 volts written on its back, but the seller says it has a standard US plug, and should work fine
This is from an estate sale, and seller has no other info. Do you mind sharing what you found?

Back
Top Bottom