What's so good about Cornwalls??

If your ever going to redo your Cornwall's you might want to look into upgrading your mid range horn from a LaScalla. It's then called a "CornScala". I have 2 pairs and the word that keeps coming to mind is incredible!

I measured any number of Cornwalls used in stereo and HT systems. And they are pretty flat up to 10 or 12khz with a slight roll off above that. Especially the MK III models. The issues is a peak on some models using the 18 db crossover for the tweeter adding a nasty little peak around 6.3 khz. But that said they are so much smoother than some speakers, JBL with ring radiators for instance, especially the earlier Klipsch models with the EV T-35 tweeter. When Klipsch started making their own tweeter because EV would not retool the K-77 there was a little bit of an irritability factor with recordings that had been compromised in the studio with over emphasized highs. Some amps, pre-amps, and especially phono cartridges are exposed for what they really are with Klipsch speakers as true distortion producers. I can remember some Yamaha, Denon, Audio Technika, Shure, Pickering, Grado, Ortofon, and B&O products being exposed as quite irritable. So don't blame the speakers as much as what sources and amplification choices you have made. I wouldn't have a Krell, Cary or Threshold product with in a mile of my any later Klipsch speaker. They can be that raw. Remember you are not dealing with point source speakers where the room can totally change the sound of your speakers, Like line arrays from Mac you are dealing with highly directional speakers that can reveal every last nuance of distortion.

If your ever going to redo your Cornwall's you might want to look into upgrading your mid range horn from a LaScalla. It's then called a "CornScala". I have 2 pairs and the word that keeps coming to mind is incredible!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but one would have to cut their cabs for this, correct?

Or you could find a Altec 311 90 with a throat adapter to put on top and lower your crossover to 400 hz where it should be.

Or you could find a Altec 311 90 with a throat adapter to put on top and lower your crossover to 400 hz where it should be.

We shall see.... Just pulled the Legacy Classics and moved my trust ol' Cornwalls back into the living room and happy to have done so. I have considered various mods to these speakers, but I can more than live with them as is.

I tried two different mods to my Cornwalls. Each time, I ended up reversing the mod, and putting things back to original. I like my Cornwalls just as they are, and I will never change them again.

I tried two different mods to my Cornwalls. Each time, I ended up reversing the mod, and putting things back to original. I like my Cornwalls just as they are, and I will never change them again.

Biscuithead has stated he removed updated crossovers and reinstalled his old crossovers in multiple threads about the cornwall in this forum.

However he never states why.

Just seems strange when most would agree that his crossovers have expired.

Biscuithead has stated he removed updated crossovers and reinstalled his old crossovers in multiple threads about the cornwall in this forum.

I have the Cornwall IIIs, so far I'm extremely happy with them. Naturally, like so many love affairs, ask me again in a year :rflmao::rflmao:

Since it is purely my subjective opinion formed by my ears, I didn't bother with all the audio adjectives and hooplah...
I will elucidate :

After I brought home my Cornwalls I quickly hooked them up to my Marantz 8b and tried them out. I was instantly in absolute bliss.
So, my thinking was... I should make it better with the Crites upgrade...
I bought the Sonicaps for the Type B x-overs.... In the meantime, I kept listening to the Cornies...
The parts came and it took me a couple of weeks to finally do the swap.
EEEK! Holy horn fatigue PWK ! ...
I left them in for about a month, before I decided to do try dampening the horn ring with some DynaMat...
Installed the Dynamat. Listened for about another month or two...
I couldn't tell a difference... so I pulled out the mat and the caps, put the PIOs back in, and have been happy ever since...

*Expired crossovers? I don't understand this... If the PIO caps are still within ESR spec, and the inductors are not fried, Is it the wood mounting plate that has gone rancid, or maybe oxygen has gotten into the wires...? :rolleyes:

Bottom line: I love my stock Cornwalls!

Now my Fortes have the caps and the diaphrams... And I love those about as much too!

Thanks for the explanation.

How do you know the old crossover are still within spec then?

What happens if they short while hooked up to that classic ampifier?

Since it is purely my subjective opinion formed by my ears, I didn't bother with all the audio adjectives and hooplah...
I will elucidate :

After I brought home my Cornwalls I quickly hooked them up to my Marantz 8b and tried them out. I was instantly in absolute bliss.
So, my thinking was... I should make it better with the Crites upgrade...
I bought the Sonicaps for the Type B x-overs.... In the meantime, I kept listening to the Cornies...
The parts came and it took me a couple of weeks to finally do the swap.
EEEK! Holy horn fatigue PWK ! ...
I left them in for about a month, before I decided to do try dampening the horn ring with some DynaMat...
Installed the Dynamat. Listened for about another month or two...
I couldn't tell a difference... so I pulled out the mat and the caps, put the PIOs back in, and have been happy ever since...

*Expired crossovers? I don't understand this... If the PIO caps are still within ESR spec, and the inductors are not fried, Is it the wood mounting plate that has gone rancid, or maybe oxygen has gotten into the wires...? :rolleyes:

Bottom line: I love my stock Cornwalls!

Now my Fortes have the caps and the diaphrams... And I love those about as much too!

It IS a maddening hobby sometimes! How much is it the "sound", or the mood of the listener? I have no idea....

Thanks for the explanation.

How do you know the old crossover are still within spec then?

What happens if they short while hooked up to that classic ampifier?

An esr meter is pretty cheap... The capacitors have a Microfarad spec on them... as long as the measurement reflects within +/- 4-5% I figure its good.

Crossover shorting...? I guess shorting would be + connecting to - ... ever look at a crossover?

Back
Top Bottom