List of DACs Under $450

I know they've already been mentioned, but the Emotiva DACs are great. I have the older XDA-1 and it sounds excellent, and according to everything I've read the XDA-2 and Stealth sound even better. My XDA-1 is built like a tank. The remote is a bit too tank-like though.

Back in 2014, I bought an ARCAM rDAC, recently discontinued, seemingly new, said to be a refurb, on eBay for $314, including shipping.

It sounds great and it's hard to find a versatile DAC in this price range. At first I used the RCA S/PDIF coax input and it works great. The optical Toslink is fine.

It gave intermittent dropout from USB when I had the 2 meter USB cable stretched out horizontally to its full length, (like an antenna).

I added a ferrite bead to each end of the USB, but no joy. When I moved the laptop to the rack, the problem went away completely. I live in a townhouse with a lot of wifi traffic, which might have contributed. (My iPhone sees 9 other networks in my living room!)

Everything matters; but we all knew that.

For someone who isn't sure they'll like the external DAC experience, the Fiio D03 is worth a look. The price is affordable to most, the unit offers coaxial and optical inputs, and it will work with up to sources encoded at up to 24/192. I did not expect a $30 DAC to outperform my current optical player, but the results are undeniable to my ears.

I really like this DAC.....and for the price it's a steal. I use it as a back up to my Maverick Audio Tubemagic D2, although I liked the Maverick so much I bought another one. So now I have two backups. :)

I just replaced my Emotiva XDA-2 Gen 2 with Teac UD-301. I could never be happier. It was $445 including tax and it does DSD 64 and 128 as well. Man, this DAC is amazing. While XDA-2 was a really good DAC, had multiple inputs and built like a tank, I miss two inputs each of optical and co-axial in Teac UD-301 (it has only one of each) also no remote (not a big deal for me). But in SQ department Teac is much better. It is more natural sounding than XDA-2 with a precise image and much more organic while listening. The DSD is an added advantage and sounds amazing with great recordings!

I found the limits of my XDA DAC as well. Now I'm looking for a small footprint DAC that I can install in the car!

Schiit Modi Multibit. I have had mine playing music for around 20 hours now and has really blossomed, and the detail is pretty amazing. I am comparing it to the first generation Modi. Very smooth, increased soundstage and all for around $250! Makes it the least expensive multibit DAC out there.

I will plug these because they have a lot of features packed into a very small box and sound very good. Have had it tied to several different amplifiers and sources and results were always pleasing. For the most it sounds smooth and analog yet detail is put back together before it enters your preamp, or power amp if you choose to use it as stand alone pre which it is also pretty good at. Everything one would seek in a dac it does pretty well. Pictures can be deceiving but once you get to closer inspect it the fit and finish doesnt seem cheaply done at all http://www.matrix-digi.com/en/products/58/index.html

Things I like about it in no particular order

high res
digital step volume control
balanced and unbalanced outputs
fit and finish
headphone amp
preamp capable
5 digital inputs
sound
up gradable power chord
on board power supply that doesnt cause the unit to get overly hot even while pushing the little headphone amp (that sounds good too)

Sorry for the necro bump. lol

Don't know if it's been mentionned in the thread, but I definitely give a vote to the Peachtree Audio DAC•iTx. I think it has a lovely EQ curve, with the high end rolled off a bit, and a sound on the warm-ish side. Yet plenty of clarity to be heard here.

It has worked great with all my setups and I honestly can't ask for more as far as the "sonic signature" go. What they went with fits my tastes exceptionally well. Very nice DAC for the price IMO (got it for $275 CAD plus taxes)

you left out my dac: pro ject pre box s2 digital. specs include, dsd up to 512 and hardware mqa, dual ess sabre 9038 chips,headphone amp,coaxal,toslink and usb. and a sub 400 price.

TOPPING D10 - $90
TOPPING D20 - $90
TOPPING D30 - $120
TOPPING D50 - $250

The brand Topping seems to be getting many praises from the following review site (Amir):

https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...iew-and-measurements-of-topping-d10-dac.2470/
https://www.amazon.com/TOPPING-ES9038Q2M2-DSD512-768KHz-Decoder/dp/B07BQTFWW1

I picked up the D10 couple weeks ago....Very impressed with it. I wanted to play with native DSD and maybe use it as a USB to optical down the road. For $80 it was steal.

Back
Top Bottom