The Idiot's Guide to Using DeOxit (revisited)

Yes. . very nice and I know of the metal tube, I feel safer using the plastic to avoid inadvertent damage, plus mine is free. . . :beerchug:

Here to thank you all for all your posts that got me to fix my sansui g-2000!!! Now I got the speakers to produce the sound they used to make by using deoxit d5 on the volume, balance knobs and right above the selector switch. I achieved sound but somehow after assembling my receiver and plugging everything in, my selector switch does not respond to ANY turn of the switch. Now I did say I got sound but it seems like the receiver is stuck on the phono setting, and am unable to hear the fm/am tuner. Before I cleaned the unit the switch would work but with noise near the phono setting. Now the receiver seems to only play the tt and any other MIC input I put through it.(example a 1/4 to 1/8 inch adapter with an auxiliary will allow me to hear the source even over the phono signal like before, but none of the other sources are selectable) Anybody knows what I could have done while cleaning my unit that caused it to stop changing selections? I miss being able to turn on the radio... Even if I never used it, and my OCS let me not blame myself for probably causing this.

Input is much appreciated, thanks!!!

EDIT: Seems I posted too early, I still am having issues with my left channel AND I can't select between sources. Seems like the fix was temporary. Going back inside

Last edited:
I posted this on another thread but it belongs here as well.

I was told on the Bottlehead forum that the only way to clean my preamp attenuators was disassembly. I had tried spraying contact cleaner/deoxit into the attenuator's weep holes and even though they seemed thoroughly drenched the scratchiness continued. As a last resort I used an insulin syringe and injected the cleaner deep into the weep holes, while working the knobs back and forth and bingo no more scratchiness. A small needle syringe will reach places that a plastic spray tube can't.

1ml-insulin-syringe-pin.jpg

First off, a big thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. This idiot just deoxit-ed (or in this case CRC'ed) his first amp. I wanted to use the deoxit brand but would have had to order through mail and I was getting antsy. My HH Scott was dropping off a bit in the left channel and there was tons of scratchy-ness when turning her on and or the volume up. As I worked the knobs around I could immediately feel them becoming more fluid. I have yet to plug her in as the CRC 2-26 says to wait 4-6 hours so I will give her a go later tonight. I was pleasantly surprised at how clean she was inside. I just blew with a little pressured air and wiped her down a bit. Will let you know how she sounds later this evening...... thanks again everyone. ec

2 thumbs up on the cleaning !!! The scrachy ness in the volume is 90% gone.... ( i can hear a bit... but that is probably because I am listening for it ) ....

the left to right channel before was approximately 30 % left and 70% right.... now I would say its 45 -55 % - no complaints... it seems like the longer the amp is on, the better the centering becomes. Thanks again for this thread! ec

I have used The Dexoit D5 and F5 on hundreds of switches and pots, I have never experienced any problems
using it with every type of plastic. Some switches and pots just can't be saved, but otherwise it works great!
Often scratchy pots or switches are caused by bad "leaky" (electronic leakage, not fluids spewing out of the cap)
capacitors.

I posted this on another thread but it belongs here as well.

I was told on the Bottlehead forum that the only way to clean my preamp attenuators was disassembly. I had tried spraying contact cleaner/deoxit into the attenuator's weep holes and even though they seemed thoroughly drenched the scratchiness continued. As a last resort I used an insulin syringe and injected the cleaner deep into the weep holes, while working the knobs back and forth and bingo no more scratchiness. A small needle syringe will reach places that a plastic spray tube can't.

1ml-insulin-syringe-pin.jpg

What you want to use is the needle applicator which is my favorite method of using DeoxIT

200-070.jpg

I recently was told I need Faderlube(Caig) for my Nad with plastic conductive parts in the volume control. I went shopping and was reminded of how many Deoxit products there are! That said, I have two questions:

1) Is D100 better than D5 for cleaning pots?

2)Can the Gold be applied to any metal or just gold? It protects and conditions, right?

3) What would you suggest for my speaker posts? I've got 3 pairs of speakers that I connect regularly with banana plugs, and they fit quite snugly. I've been using the Gold, is that best?

I think I was able to figure out what I needed, sorry if the questions have been repeated earlier on this thread. I've also got the Deoxit Gold, which you are supposed to use to protect the connections with. Maybe I left too much on last time, because when I cleaned the RCA jacks on the Nad c326, the paper towel had greenish gunk on it.

I picked up a Pioneer SX-880 a few years back at a garage sale & it worked fine in my basement rig until recently. Started getting severe crackling & drop out in one channel. Last Saturday was grey & overcast, the perfect chance to bust out the De-oxit & see if I could solve my problem.
Well as advertised the De-oxit & lubricant spray worked perfectly, cleaning up my problem and eliminating the annoying crackle heard in the input selector. Cranked up the old girl & pushed 1 whole watt through 4 EPI speakers. (Dobie Gray singing "Soul Days" a great old school R&B song.) Sounded just fine. De-oxit & Lens cleaner for my cd players represents the extent of my technical skills regarding stereo equipment. Great stuff.

Just tuned up a Hafler DH-220, and it's Not-Quite-Matching brother DH-110 is REALLY scratchy. Every pot and switch, seems like. I think I paid $75 for both of them and got lucky with the condition...so I will re-read this thread and de-ox the 110 and hope I made a great deal. Meanwhile, has anyone else done one of these, and do you have advice and things to look out for?

I think I was able to figure out what I needed, sorry if the questions have been repeated earlier on this thread. I've also got the Deoxit Gold, which you are supposed to use to protect the connections with. Maybe I left too much on last time, because when I cleaned the RCA jacks on the Nad c326, the paper towel had greenish gunk on it.

Green gunk is DeOxit doing it's job :D

I have a JVC amp with some pots sandwiched between circuit boards. I am unable to get the can in close enough to spray them. I went to NAPA and got some small silicone fuel line used on weed whackers and connected 2 plastic tubes together. I am now able to get into the hard to reach area.

upload_2016-11-10_18-54-9.png

Thanks for this thread. I bought some deoxit and decided my evening project would be to try reviving my Rotel RC and RB-1010. It seems to have worked. The stickler was the right channel with the tape/source monitor switch. So now it seems I have fully functional, hefty 80s separates. I'm not sure what I'll do with them, but at least I have some options.

I also have a Marantz 2216B receiver at my parents', which was the center of my college system. I'll have to try reviving it, too.

Back
Top Bottom