New York City metro area gathering.

Ds2000

The fi must be higher.
Subscriber
I see mid-Atlantic, New England, SE Pennsylvania, but no New York City metro area gatherings. Am I missing something or is this an event some of us in this area would possibly like to do? Ideas? Discussions on how to maybe make one happen?

Here's the formula.
Find a member who has access to a space with enough room and parking.
Maybe someone works in a business that has a warehouse with some extra space. Or maybe someone who's a member of a civic organization with an event room. You'll need it reasonably well lit with electricity.
If there's a cost involved then folks will have to chip in.

That's the hard part - after that set a date away from holidays / conflicts.
Do a search of members in your area and invite them and have them invite others they may know.

Here's the formula.
Find a member who has access to a space with enough room and parking.
Maybe someone works in a business that has a warehouse with some extra space. Or maybe someone who's a member of a civic organization with an event room. You'll need it reasonably well lit with electricity.
If there's a cost involved then folks will have to chip in.

That's the hard part - after that set a date away from holidays / conflicts.
Do a search of members in your area and invite them and have them invite others they may know.

Yes this is a good starting point. I know of some spaces, but need to look deeper. There's also VFW halls, civic halls, etc which can be had on the very cheap for a day, and they usually have lots of folding tables handy. Hmmmm. I'd say lets see who responds to just the idea stage setting up here and if interest is sufficient, solidify a plan. I'm in New York City so that's out as a possibility, everything is costly, but I have fam and friends in NJ so...

In the NYC area you've got to decide which side of Manhattan to aim for - or maybe Staten Island or the Bronx makes it accessible to either NJ or CT.
It's a struggle either way, especially if people want to bring gear with them to sell or demo.
I'd reach out to locals to solicit support rather then waiting for them to come to you.

Will likely be in NJ, very accessible. New York City is too difficult for the most. Will reach out to locals.

We could do NJ, Long Island or Westchester, but make sure whatever place you choose is easily accessible via public transport, so actual NYers can attend as well.

Someplace up in North Jersey would be good. A lot of NYC folks don't have a car so it must be reachable by public transportation. I think it would draw a nice crowd. I figure that a lot of folks that go to the Central Valley Fire Company event would show up as they have cars, most in NJ could get there as well as Philly and the eastern parts of PA.
For those of us that drive, NYC, Long Island and Staten Island are a bear to get into and out of. I simply refuse to drive in those areas anymore, to nerve wracking and I drive over 40K miles a year doing service work. I like driving, but not there.

BillWojo

Northern NJ good, Westchester is central for NY NJ & CT 45-60 minute ride for everyone to Terrytown, Bedford, Katona. Metro north stops also

Last edited:
Agreed on the North Jersey location. I don't have a car, so mass transit is important for me to get there

Agreed on the North Jersey location. I don't have a car, so mass transit is important for me to get there
You can also rent a Zip car for the day, depending on where this eventually happens.

Yeah I have a super cheap rental place a block away, I'd use them. And I'm not averse to westchester county either. Tarrytown, or around there is fine too

I'm totally down for a meetup, one thing I don't have in this hobby is exposure to other peoples systems and preferences! my listening room will be done by end of july for anyone who wants to listen/meetup on long island. I'm deep in suffolk tho HAHA.. rent is nearly half what in queens though as far as sq footage/price

I'm totally down for a meetup, one thing I don't have in this hobby is exposure to other peoples systems and preferences! my listening room will be done by end of july for anyone who wants to listen/meetup on long island. I'm deep in suffolk tho HAHA.. rent is nearly half what in queens though as far as sq footage/price
I have the same problem. Re-entering the hobby after most of my old fart friends have sold their vinyl and gear. I'd love to hear some other systems to measure myself. I am in Northern NJ. Summit is on the NJ Transit line and there is an Audio shop across the street from the train station. Just a thought if the group is small.

I have the same problem. Re-entering the hobby after most of my old fart friends have sold their vinyl and gear. I'd love to hear some other systems to measure myself. I am in Northern NJ. Summit is on the NJ Transit line and there is an Audio shop across the street from the train station. Just a thought if the group is small.

I grew up not far from there in Westfield. I know exactly where this is, so it's also an option.
So what are we thinking here, when would this want to happen?

If the meet up were in the city itself mass transit would about cover most of it. In my case I'd take the NE corridor to Penn Station then catch a subway.

Any consideration to seeing if a hi-fi shop might be interested in hosting a gathering? I was at this place a few years ago: http://www.audioconnect.com/. It's in Verona, NJ, next door to Montclair, with several NJT train stations nearby. The owner seemed to really be into his craft (I have his card around somewhere). He played a lot of music, showed me a lot of stuff, and never got around to trying to sell me anything.

Any consideration to seeing if a hi-fi shop might be interested in hosting a gathering? I was at this place a few years ago: http://www.audioconnect.com/. It's in Verona, NJ, next door to Montclair, with several NJT train stations nearby. The owner seemed to really be into his craft (I have his card around somewhere). He played a lot of music, showed me a lot of stuff, and never got around to trying to sell me anything.
John Rutan is the owner's name. He does sell some used gear, but no dumpster-diver -- pardon me, vintage :biggrin: -- stuff from what I recall.

Back
Top Bottom