• Up

• Down

• It Depends

• Don't Have One

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nightwisher

Farer In The Goldilocks Zone
Subscriber
A little poll. Who uses their turntable with the dust cover up, down, does it depend, or do you not have one?

Personally, I use mine up, because most of my vinyl listening is while I'm archiving them to my computer. If I listen to a record just to listen to it, I'm more likely to have the cover down. So that puts me in the "It Depends" category.

I noticed I was getting some distortion while playing an album the other day. I had the cover down and the volume rather high. I cleaned the cart thinking that was the issue but it turned out to be resonances from having the lid closed.

My 1229q dust cover has no hinges, so off. My other turntables, (with hinges) up, unless last song of album prior to turning my system off, then down.

Up or off probably more because im lazy then i think it makes a difference, one less thing to do when i flip or change the LP

A little poll. Who uses their turntable with the dust cover up, down, does it depend, or do you not have one?

Personally, I use mine up, because most of my vinyl listening is while I'm archiving them to my computer. If I listen to a record just to listen to it, I'm more likely to have the cover down. So that puts me in the "It Depends" category.

Cover helps isolate tonearm from acoustic waves from speaker. But cover should have multiple points of contact with table, otherwise it starts ringing.

I got two 1210s hooked up to a mixer. So obviously it´s up when I’m mixing records and down when I’m just listening. I see some interesting comments about resonances when it´s down. I guess that´s when you´re listening at high volume. I´ll need to check that out.

Up while playing, down when just sitting--but I have a big dog that can put hair anywhere (hence the down while not in use), and my table is in a fairly well isolated cabinet, so when in use, it is not subject to resonance issues, so the cover stays up.

Back
Top Bottom