Schiit Modi Multibit

MikE

Color Me Gone
upload_2016-7-26_5-21-13.png

upload_2016-7-26_5-21-28.png

Introducing Modi Multibit
07/21/2016

The Most Affordable Advanced Multibit DAC—From Anyone, Anywhere

July 25, 2016, Valencia, CA. Today, Schiit Audio introduced Modi Multibit, the most affordable DAC in the Schiit Multibit lineup. Modi Multibit, which retails for $249, joins Bifrost Multibit, Gungnir Multibit, and Yggdrasil in the Schiit Multibit DAC line.

“Modi Multibit smashes the price barrier in advanced multibit DACs,” said Mike Moffat, Schiit’s Co-Founder and head of digital development. “It is the most affordable multibit DAC built on a modern architecture—from any manufacturer, in any country in the world.”

Modi Multibit is built on Schiit’s proprietary multibit DAC architecture, featuring Schiit’s unique closed-form digital filter on an Analog Devices SHARC DSP processor. For D/A conversion, it uses a medical/military grade, true multibit converter specified down to 1/2LSB linearity, the Analog Devices AD5547CRUZ.

“It may seem incredible that, just a little over a year year after we introduced our first multibit DAC, Yggdrasil, we’re introducing a multibit DAC that includes a version of the same digital filter and a real multibit D/A converter for 89% lower cost,” said Mike. “But we don’t believe that you should have to spend a boatload for great sound, so it makes complete sense.”

Modi Multibit is Schiit Audio’s fourth multibit DAC, and is built on Schiit’s second major multibit platform that was developed from the ground up. It fits into the line as follows:

Yggdrasil: Schiit Multibit 1 Platform, Modular/Upgradable, 8X Closed-Form Filter, AD5791BRUZ x 4, Choke-Input, Shunt Supplies, Discrete JFET Buffer Output, Gen 3 USB, $2299
Gungnir Multibit: Schiit Multibit 1 Platform, Modular/Upgradable, 8X Closed-Form Filter, AD5781BRUZ x 4, Discrete JFET Buffer Output, $1249
Bifrost Multibit: Schiit Multibit 2 Platform, Modular/Upgradable, 4X Closed-Form Filter, AD5547CRUZ, $599
Modi Multibit: Schiit Multibit 2 Platform, 4X Closed-Form Filter, AD5547CRUZ, $249

Multibit DACs differ from the vast majority of DACs in that they use true 16-20 bit D/A converters that can reproduce the exact level of every digital audio sample. Most DACs use inexpensive delta-sigma technology with a bit depth of only 1-5 bits to approximate the level of every digital audio sample, based on the values of the samples that precede and follow it.

Modi Multibit is available for immediate purchase at schiit.com.

I'd love to hear this

However at the rate they've been developing, I think my purchase of a new Schiit DAC will be a little ways down the road since I just purchased a model from someone else. To keep myself from spending I just say "imaging what the next generations might be"

Nice one ... what are you currently using as your USB Dac? .... any other Schitt Dac's ... like the Modi 2 Uber?

Nice one ... what are you currently using as your USB Dac? .... any other Schitt Dac's ... like the Modi 2 Uber?

I took delivery of the Modi 2 Uber a few weeks ago and returned after the Modi Multibit release. I was burning it in on my home theatre and never got the opportunity to hook it up to my 2 channel. Since the Denon AVR re-samples the signal from the Modi I unfortunately won't be able to compare/contrast the two.

I took delivery of the Modi 2 Uber a few weeks ago and returned after the Modi Multibit release. I was burning it in on my home theatre and never got the opportunity to hook it up to my 2 channel. Since the Denon AVR re-samples the signal from the Modi I unfortunately won't be able to compare/contrast the two.

Okay ... I would have done the same thing ... so close to the Multibit release.

Last edited:
Anyone have a listen with this yet (or experience with other Schiit multibits, for that matter)? I've been looking for a DAC for my two channel setup in this price range. In another thread someone said they thought the Gungnir Multibit sounded veiled in comparison with a dragonfly 1. This seemed strange to me. Also was a usb connection. Anyone heard a difference between inputs on a Schiit? I'm really looking for best sound quality for the money. So, if say the dragonfly red had clearer imaging, then I'd probably choose it despite its lack of functionality for higher bit rates or features.

I have the Gungnir Multibit (replaced origihal Modi) and don't find it veiled at all. However, I can't speak to the dragonfly comparison. As for the inputs, I can't distinguish a difference when the source material is equal. I have the computer connected via USB, a Marantz CD6004 as transport via coax, and TV box via optical. When streaming 16/44.1, I can't distinguish between the USB and coax. In my experience, The Gungnir Multibit make even crappy You Tube uploads listenable and makes redbook or better sublime. It is my opinion that anything in the Schiit lineup will perform above its price point.

Here's the 1st review of the Modi Multibit [after 13 hours]. This from a user comparing it to the Schiit top of the line DAC - Yggdrasil.

"Since Mimby only has 4X Closed-Form Filter, single AD5547CRUZ processor compared to Yggy's 8X Closed-Form Filter, 4x AD5791BRUZ processors, it is not surprising that the Mimby delivers the multibit essence but not every minute detail as perfectly as the Yggy. Through the Mimby, the cello and violin were still pleasing and natural sounding with speed and attack of bowing, contact of each bow on the string and the reverberations perfectly captured much like on the Yggy. The string timbre and decay were comparable although the Yggy had more juicy texture/detail especially for cello. Soundstage wise, the Mimby width and 3 dimensionality are matching to the Yggy and I can still get a sense of the size of the concert hall and positioning of the instruments."

"After 10-15 minutes of serious A/B switching, I lost my interest to compare Mimby vs. Yggy. The Mimby’s less detailed presentation is equally captivating and I continued with the Mimby for song after song. It is relaxing and addictive DAC, perhaps a good choice for prolonged listening and also for relaxing and winding down on a Friday night."

"More listening impression to be continued as my Mimby warm up continues."

This sounds interesting as I've been thinking of replacing my 3 yr old Aune T-1 tube Dac, It's always sounded ok to me but hopefully the new Schiit will be a improvement. Will watch these reviews, :) AL

The newer production Uber 2 uses a different chip now.
You can tell a difference in the sound as well as a unit runs warmer
The attack and decay are still the same but there's more resolution particularly in the mid range
Still a smooth sound but I'm thinking I prefer the older model
Once I get my main system up and running will see how it works with that transport

Last edited:
Interesting....I was about the to pull the trigger and get a Schiit Modi 2 Uber but I think I will wait for a little longer and see what people have to say about the multibit.

Interesting....I was about the to pull the trigger and get a Schiit Modi 2 Uber but I think I will wait for a little longer and see what people have to say about the multibit.

There's not much point in waiting IMO. It's doubtful you'll find a better DAC for the money and Schiit isn't going to put out something that isn't better than its predecessor.

My 2 cents. I'm quiet happy with my Bifrost MB.

- Woody

Not all the reviews of muti bit have been glowing .... was a little surprised by this YouTube video (BiFrost Multibit) ... from Z Reviews ... he's a Mid Fi kind of guy (bias toward headphones & table top speakers) ... I like his reviews though.

Cans vs Speakers ... Mid fi vs Hi Fi ... Equipment patching :dunno: ... different factors could effect results.

Definitely curios about the Schiit Modi Multibit

Last edited:
He pretends that has no clue what multibit is :D haha... Head-camera movement makes me puke.
With that trashy speakers and low quality headphones it is no wonder that he cannot hear a difference. Not speaking that he actually has not clue what to listen for, like 99% of ABX "testers".

Every ...challenged person... can make a review. I guess I need to start doing that.

Back
Top Bottom