Estate/garage sale driven system

Here's my main system. I bought my first stereo for Christmas 2015, all new, low-budget stuff. Then I discovered some vintage gear at an estate sale a month later and I've been hooked since.

index.php

Infinity 7 Kappa ($40), Carver m1.0t (not an estate sale find), Sansui 9090db ($60, as preamp for now), Kenwood KD2070 ($30), Sony PS-FL1 ($70), Little Bear T-10, FiiO X3 ii, Dell mini 9 running Ubuntu for streaming. I'm really, really liking this setup for now.

Attachments

• 2016-07-26-173644-80.jpg
    2016-07-26-173644-80.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 727
Very nice, and you only started last December!
Also like the cabinet.

You're doing well there my friend, a nice system. Its amazing how this hobby snowballs - since beginning in February this year, I've acquired dozens of speakers, several amps, six tape decks, three turntables and at least 10 CD players ! Not to mention all the cassettes, records etc. Enjoy !

You're doing well there my friend, a nice system. Its amazing how this hobby snowballs - since beginning in February this year, I've acquired dozens of speakers, several amps, six tape decks, three turntables and at least 10 CD players ! Not to mention all the cassettes, records etc. Enjoy !

Ok, so I agree. As soon as the warehouse is finished I'll get more ! ( insert evil laugh and finger twiddle ) I love the smell of ozone in the morning !

I'm impressed. Good work getting that together at those prices in that amount of time! :thumbsup:

Here's an update on my system.
I set my Onkyo receiver up as a preamp, so that I can use its streaming capabilities.
I now have the Sansui powering my Boston Acoustics A150s in the dining room.
I picked up a Yamaha A-1020 (under the Sansui) at an estate sale awhile back and I'm using its phono preamp for the Sony turntable, as well as the headphone jack for my headphones.
I also just picked up a Sanyo Plus Q40 in great condition.
I built a cool-looking wood shelf for the turntable, but I had some resonance issues that the bricks seemed to solve.

I couldn't pass up these Advent/3 speakers I saw for $20 on my recent goodwill run. I haven't heard any Advents before and I must say that I'm impressed by how good they sound for their size and age.
On another note, I spent my winter break studying electronics and just put together my first amp (a JLH). I'm even more impressed by that, but I'll save it for another forum.

Last edited:
I've been checking out different speakers for my new homemade amp and have settled on a pair of Klipsch KG 4.2. On another note, I scored a pair of KLH Model 5 speakers at GW for $15. It will be my first recap job. I've read good things about them and am excited to hear them with their tweeters working (I really like my Advent /3 speakers).

I've been checking out different speakers for my new homemade amp and have settled on a pair of Klipsch KG 4.2. On another note, I scored a pair of KLH Model 5 speakers at GW for $15. It will be my first recap job. I've read good things about them and am excited to hear them with their tweeters working (I really like my Advent /3 speakers).
I have pair of Fives, about to rebuild. They should sound nice. Mine had non-original mids in one and stiil sounded good. Got originals to install. Enjoy.

Congradulations. You are in a GW sweetspot. Hillsboro and surrounding area is hot right now for donated gear showing up at Goodwill. Somebody's been cleaning out their closets...Wish I lived closer. Nice collection!

My main system has undergone a few changes, so I thought I would post an update. I picked up an old Magnavox 8802 to recap and set up as a stand-alone amp. I like it so much, that I ended getting a Dynaco ST-70.
On the day I picked up the Dynaco, I had my bid for a pair of Klipsch Quartets accepted at an estate sale! I made some stands for my newly recapped KLH Model 5s and they work well for the Quartets, putting the mid horn right at ear level.
I really like the sound of the Dynaco through the Quartets. I'll try it through the Model 5s in a few days (The Model 5s sound fantastic after the recap!)

Back
Top Bottom