Musings of the Yamaha CA-1010

Yes, I know this is an old thread, you don't have to tell me how stupid I am (thought I would get that out of the way). My experience with the Yamaha 1010 was not very positive, I acquired one locally several years ago. It worked fine, I cleaned the controls and replaced a few lights. The volume could get loud and I heard no distortion. But the amplifiers sound seemed dull, lifeless, compared to my other solid state and tube gear. Reading about the positive experiences of others, it is possible that amp had some tired capacitors. I ended up selling it......:dunno:

Yamaha's "Natural Sound" is not everyone's favorite. Some describe it as "sterile".

To each their own....

Yes, I know this is an old thread, you don't have to tell me how stupid I am (thought I would get that out of the way). My experience with the Yamaha 1010 was not very positive, I acquired one locally several years ago. It worked fine, I cleaned the controls and replaced a few lights. The volume could get loud and I heard no distortion. But the amplifiers sound seemed dull, lifeless, compared to my other solid state and tube gear. Reading about the positive experiences of others, it is possible that amp had some tired capacitors. I ended up selling it......:dunno:
Most likely tired caps and out of tolerance fusible resistors as well as dirty controls/switches.

I had a CA1010 and loved it.I think it worked very well with some Bozak 302a speakers playing vintage jazz on vinyl.Just had too many age related issues so I sold it.If I could have one now though....

You guys are getting me stoked. I have a 2010 waiting in the wings for Avionic to let me know my number is being called. I do have a question. It says it runs class A ( I get it the switch 30 wpc). Then class B (when switched) . Here's where I'm somewhat confused. Most amp I've read about go from class A to class AB is this a semantic thing?
It's the only piece I've run across that states Class B only (rather than AB) . Is it in fact running class B at that point and if so, why did Yamaha opt to go B rather than AB?

AB is the industry standard and is what's found in most amps , the class A switching is what makes it special. I have just spent the last 3 weeks listening to my 1010 and its outstanding as far as sound reproduction.

Revive an old thread again.

I saw mention of a switch no longer being obtainable. What other, if any, key parts in a CA-1010 are difficult or impossible to find? In other words, how does it rate in that respect in terms of long-term 'keeper'?

I believe the switch you may be thinking of is the "Class A/AB" switch.

I believe if you switch from class A to Class AB while the unit is operating the switch contacts become damaged.

I don't think there are any new replacements and usable spares are getting scarce.

I don't believe there are any electronic components (caps/resistors/transistors/diodes) that aren't available.

believe the switch you may be thinking of is the "Class A/AB" switch.

I believe if you switch from class A to Class AB while the unit is operating the switch contacts become damaged.
No....CA-1010 uses a relay to switch A and AB. Not snap switches like the CA-800 and 1000. He is refering to the power switch.

Revive an old thread again.

I saw mention of a switch no longer being obtainable. What other, if any, key parts in a CA-1010 are difficult or impossible to find? In other words, how does it rate in that respect in terms of long-term 'keeper'?
If concerned about the power switch. Modify to a triac switch and your power switch will last almost forever.

is this you https://marantzhallo-fi.blogspot.com/2016/01/yamaha-ca-1010-ca-2010-amplifier.html

Yamaha. That’s a good brand.

The Yamaha CA-1010. That’s a great amp.

The CA-1010 by Yamaha is one of my favorite pieces. It’s also one of the favorite pieces of many people not just reading this e-zine [in this forum], but across the world. Built like a tank, the sound stays positively true to the Natural Sound philosophy of the company.

During a time when companies were competing for the crowns of world’s most powerful, fastest, or esoteric amplifier, Yamaha seemed to take an approach practiced by few and considered a novelty by many: build a decent amplifier, couple it to a well executed preamp, and when all is said and done, sell it for a fair price at the end of the day.

The industrial design of the CA-1010 almost seems out of place for a product of its vintage. Aside from a set of fashionable meters (that are more functional than beautiful), the appearance is almost plain. No unnecessary affectations here. Nothing overly complex or counter intuitive. The one novelty that Yamaha indulged in was the use of a coaxial/concentric volume/balance control. Yamaha had to sell nothing. The sound would sell the CA-1010 for them.

The sound, of course, is what is so impressive about the CA-1010. Or, rather, the lack of sound- its own sound, that is. With the CA-1010, the music speaks for itself. The amplifier is nearly passive, only conveying with utmost respect the signal passing through it, and nothing more. It has no signature. Nothing that is not in the recording is superimposed. It is not warm, cool, bright, mellow, or even smooth, fluid, or otherwise. It’s just natural.

I was thinking… Reading reviews of audio equipment, professional or amateur, there is no end of adjectives used to describe the sound. What is really amazing, to me anyhow, is when you come across a quality piece that needs none- Especially when it lives up to its pretension.

-----

This was the beginning of a review I was working on in January for the CA-1010 that was to be submitted to Affordable Audio. Unfortunately, things being as they were at the time, I never finished it, never mind submitted it. So please excuse its obvious incompleteness.
Yamaha. That’s a good brand.

The Yamaha CA-1010. That’s a great amp.

The CA-1010 by Yamaha is one of my favorite pieces. It’s also one of the favorite pieces of many people not just reading this e-zine [in this forum], but across the world. Built like a tank, the sound stays positively true to the Natural Sound philosophy of the company.

During a time when companies were competing for the crowns of world’s most powerful, fastest, or esoteric amplifier, Yamaha seemed to take an approach practiced by few and considered a novelty by many: build a decent amplifier, couple it to a well executed preamp, and when all is said and done, sell it for a fair price at the end of the day.

The industrial design of the CA-1010 almost seems out of place for a product of its vintage. Aside from a set of fashionable meters (that are more functional than beautiful), the appearance is almost plain. No unnecessary affectations here. Nothing overly complex or counter intuitive. The one novelty that Yamaha indulged in was the use of a coaxial/concentric volume/balance control. Yamaha had to sell nothing. The sound would sell the CA-1010 for them.

The sound, of course, is what is so impressive about the CA-1010. Or, rather, the lack of sound- its own sound, that is. With the CA-1010, the music speaks for itself. The amplifier is nearly passive, only conveying with utmost respect the signal passing through it, and nothing more. It has no signature. Nothing that is not in the recording is superimposed. It is not warm, cool, bright, mellow, or even smooth, fluid, or otherwise. It’s just natural.

I was thinking… Reading reviews of audio equipment, professional or amateur, there is no end of adjectives used to describe the sound. What is really amazing, to me anyhow, is when you come across a quality piece that needs none- Especially when it lives up to its pretension.

-----

This was the beginning of a review I was working on in January for the CA-1010 that was to be submitted to Affordable Audio. Unfortunately, things being as they were at the time, I never finished it, never mind submitted it. So please excuse its obvious incompleteness.
I find Yamaha prices to fluctuate a lot - and certain models are just plain stupidly cheap. Marantz I find to be over priced, same with Sansui, but that is just my opinion. Pioneer flucuates as well - a TX-9500 sold for under $20 last week(!!), yet it often sells for over $200! The vintage market is strange...

But I love the CA-1010. I had one from 1992 to about 2001 then sold it - regreted it very soon after. I was lucky to get the two I now have from within Canada, both from non-audio sellers, and one of them is a 9/10. Eventually I'll sell one of them, as I got a 2010 and like it very much. I don't notice too much difference in sound between the 1010 and 2010, but I think they both should be recapped. The tone controls don't seem to have very much influence, although maybe they aren't supposed to.

is this you
Just catching you up with ak goings on.
M.Jarve passed away in 2019 https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/know-of-an-ak-member-who-has-passed.844456/
MarantzHallo was a scammer, noah schumacher and many folks lost gear to his scam. Police finally caught up to him but I don't know what happened since then. This thread is only for folks involved with Noah so please do not post to it but it will give you the history and such https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...audio-restorations-being-investigated.868374/
sorry for the bad news.

Last edited:
Do you recall the CR1000? no its not a motorcycle. its a huge lump ways same as a sack of potatoes to pick up.
I loved it at first. I ran it with a pair of Bower and Wilkins DM302 speakers. I must admit I had a much much better Yamaha Amplifier than that within the last 15years one of the big Black ones had a discreet Flap on the bottom 80 watts or so a side sound was fabulous. The CR1000 i remember sounded hard and digital with some music it wasn't the speakers. This sounded much more of an improvement overall IMOP

Have some great pictures
somewhere. I took Photos of all the audio equipment setups I owned over 50 years its not a lot mind you i started in 1972
Trouble being its all colour prints Stashed away in carrier Bags 100s of them.

I cant be bothered one to look at them & 2 i have no scanner anymore to share them with you

Back
Top Bottom