Recent content by 39cross

1. 39cross

Bill Ammons Kenwood KT-8300 Dual IF Band Stereo Separation Control PCB

Not much to lose if you try it out.
  2. 39cross

Do I want HD Radio?

I had a nice Rotel tuner that received HD. Doing side-by-side comparisons, the HD output sounded lifeless, like low-bit rate MP3's. I would not buy a tuner for HD. In my opinion, pretty much any analog FM tuner would sound better, if it is in decent alignment.
  3. 39cross

S3MX help

Glad you got yours sorted out, thanks for the info. Wow, my post was from 12 years ago, but I still have this MPX unit. The whine I heard was from an out of adjustment transformer, either the 19k or 38k I don't recall now. After doing some adjustments it sounds pretty good. Just for fun I...
  4. 39cross

Sherwood S8000-IV - where does this wire go?

I'll have to pull the bottom and take a look. Based on this schematic clip, could possible culprits be R214 or C213? Is/should C213 be a safety cap?
  5. 39cross

Thanks for clarifying that! All of the tubes have shields, and the bottom cover is attached, so those points are covered. I don't know if the tubes are matched any longer - they are the originals so I assume they originally were. It's been too long ago now, I don't know if the guy who...
  6. 39cross

Dear Mr Gadget, perhaps I misinterpreted your comment - should I just tie together the new C240 cap's negative lead to the stray black wire? And not tied together at the old can cap's twist lead? It does appear that where the black wire is soldered to the terminal strip, in the first picture...
  7. 39cross

OK, the stray black wire and the negative lead of the C240 cap are now tied together to the ground of the old C240 can cap. Putting it back on line and doing some more listening, I can still hear a low level background hum with no audio playing, maybe not as loud as before, but it's still...
  8. 39cross

Thank you for your comments. I can disconnect the new C240 cap negative lead and then solder the negative to the old can cap ground, and then solder the loose black wire to the can cap ground tab. Is that what you are suggesting? I think I may have discovered the hum source. Poking around...
  9. 39cross

Yes, the C240 replacement underneath, just to the right of the fuse holder, is wired negative to ground, positive to C205 negative. There is a ground tab on the original C240 can cap, next to the fuse holder, that looks like it had a wire soldered to it, I think it was this black wire. There...
  10. 39cross

I have a nice Sherwood S80000-IV that had some restore work done on it several years ago. I only use it occasionally, but the other day I noticed a hum I had never noticed before. I took the bottom cover off and was just lookin' around and found a black wire that runs from one of the diodes in...
  11. 39cross

Evaluating the NEC T-710 tuner

Nice review, thanks! Glad to see you are enjoying the NEC T-710 tuner. Having a relatively small and lightweight form factor is another plus, if you like the way it reproduces music.
  12. NEC-T-710-Inside

NEC-T-710-Inside

13. NEC T-710 -Back

NEC T-710 -Back

14. NEC T-710 - front

NEC T-710 - front

15. 39cross

Wide vs Narrow IF setting

Typically, as W9TR already said, you use the wide filter for the best sound quality. The narrow filter is useful if you have an strong station adjacent to a weak one. The narrow filter will help with reception of the weaker station. However there is another case, if the tuner doesn't deal...
Back
Top Bottom