Recent content by A23gt

1. A23gt

KLH 6'S OR JBL 4311B'S

That series of JBL speakers were some of the best selling loudspeakers in history. It wasn’t because they were the last word in faithful sound reproduction. Clearly many people enjoy the sound, but they are polarizing like Klipsch. (Love hate sort of thing.) They have specific sound that I...
  2. A23gt

KLH 6'S OR JBL 4311B'S

I have KLH Model 5 and Model 6. I also have JBL Century 100. I prefer the sound of KLH, but the quality of the JBL drivers seem to be higher. They both have their place when the mood strikes me. If you have the space and disposable income get both. You can always sell the JBL and come close to...
  3. A23gt

New vs Old......I'm sold

Probably not. People forget that we only see the survivors these days. There were plenty of crap units tossed into the landfills back at the height of the home audio craze. Hand assembly allows for much greater deviations in build quality than in modern units. What we tend to see is the best...
  4. A23gt

Which are for you best vintage power amplifiers?

Old post, I know, but wanted to add that Finnish engineer Matti Ottala had a hand in the design too. Pretty much the only westerner with direct involvement that I know of. Brilliant guy.
  5. A23gt

Fosi Audio BT20A Pro, is it a real amp?

Sounds like Fosi makes nice affordable stuff. When I get too old to move around my big, heavy class A, and class A/B stuff I’ll be moving to the class D fast switching amplifiers. The sound quality is mighty nice with the newest stuff that I’ve heard my younger co-workers using, and I expect it...
  6. A23gt

Long odds receiver I.D.

It keeps the unwashed masses at the party from cranking it to 11 with unfortunate consequences to your speakers. (and keeps the little guys from playing with the knobs) :)
  7. A23gt

Long odds receiver I.D.

Not everyone digs the look, but like most Luxman products, it sounds nice, and has ample power for the typical speaker and room size. I think you would be happy with one, but make sure the “suck face” feature is in good working order. It would also benefit from a basic service to make sure it’s...
  8. A23gt

Long odds receiver I.D.

Sorry for the short reply. Wound up with an unexpected work call. Welcome to AudioKarma. You will find lots of folks around here that can assist with identifying, repairing, and endlessly debating the aesthetics, sound quality, and virtues of almost anything audio related. :) (Most of them...
  9. A23gt

Long odds receiver I.D.

Luxman RX-101
  10. A23gt

KLH Models 23, 17, 6

They are fairly sensitive for acoustic suspension speakers. I’ve ran them with everything from a Sherwood tube amps to qualify separates. Not nearly as picky about amps as AR. I would say anything over 25 watts RMS or so would be fine, but they don’t mind extra power either. Guess it comes down...
  11. A23gt

Synergistic s71

I like all the speakers you mentioned. (Even the 301’s). They aren't bad little bookshelf speakers. Of those I would prefer the Synergistic too. Less fatiguing than the Vegas, better treble than the Warfdales. The TF700 is more placement picky, and the 301’s don’t have the frequency response...
  12. A23gt

What small vintage speakers are in your collection?

KLH Model 5 and 6, Advent Loudspeakers, Frazier Monte Carlo and Mark V, JBL Century L100, RTR EXP-12, NHT SuperZero, SuperOne, and 1.5. AR 98LS (kinda, sort of… getting heavy for a bookshelf speaker. Out of these I listen to the KLH, AR’s, and the NHT 1.5 the most.
  13. A23gt

Sensitivity and "hard to drive" speakers

Yes, got it backwards. Thanks.
  14. A23gt

Sensitivity and "hard to drive" speakers

Voltage is a constant from an amp. Current varies with loudness. Power is calculated by voltage and current. You need reserve current for extremely loud passages. 20 db is often found in uncompressed chamber music. Not so much in loudness wars mixed rock.
Back
Top Bottom